Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
As opposed to all your other theories that are based solidly on facts??

Sorry I sound a bit of a knob there, I dont mean to be, just the whole Rooney thing annoys me.

I would be interested to read your theory as I am sure others would be.

Ok fine. This is not what i say 100% happened, someone pointed it out to me years ago and someone who was quite knowledable in football.

Rooney didn't want to leave united. The thing was a ploy by Ferguson. the problem he had at the time was the Glaziers were not backing him (see transfer window just before that) so in a move to push the board to release money to him (not sure if that included ronaldo money), Their star player 'asks' to leave the club, mentioning lack of ambition. Result is Ferguson gets money to then invest in his squad over the next 12 months and signs all the players he wanted. Rooney for taking the flak gets nice new contract and pay rise to comfort him.

But generally that isn't a specific one off thing, apparently an old football trick managers used to pull, just another example of one.

But yeah, if you consider they sold ronaldo and compare transfer windows before rooney asked to leave and afterwards, you can see why this theory might carry a little bit of weight.

Firstly let me start by saying i don't think he'll ever come back but this Rooney return stuff isn't only fueled by sentimental fans like me. Players that have played along side him and know him have regularly said he wants to return one day. Dunc, Jags and Baines have all said that in the past and i think his cameo in Ferguson's testimonial showed that there is enough love there from both sides for it not to be completely impossible.
That said Brand Rooney is a cash cow that is milked for all it's worth regardless of whether he's still the great player he was. He makes too much money for the people around him for them to allow him to return to us unless it's the best offer for him and all his people which i very much doubt it ever will be. As someone said above, money not sentiment motivates most players.
I'm still very much in the YES camp when it comes to bringing him back and i think the publicity and marketing opportunities his return would present, the statement of intent it would send to other potential signings and the positive effect it would have on some of our current players would be well worth it.

Ok fine. This is not what i say 100% happened, someone pointed it out to me years ago and someone who was quite knowledable in football.

Rooney didn't want to leave united. The thing was a ploy by Ferguson. the problem he had at the time was the Glaziers were not backing him (see transfer window just before that) so in a move to push the board to release money to him (not sure if that included ronaldo money), Their star player 'asks' to leave the club, mentioning lack of ambition. Result is Ferguson gets money to then invest in his squad over the next 12 months and signs all the players he wanted. Rooney for taking the flak gets nice new contract and pay rise to comfort him.

But generally that isn't a specific one off thing, apparently an old football trick managers used to pull, just another example of one.

But yeah, if you consider they sold ronaldo and compare transfer windows before rooney asked to leave and afterwards, you can see why this theory might carry a little bit of weight.

He then came out and said he doesn't think players should get more than managers... and asked for wages above Rooney's

Perhaps the saddest thing about any unlikely return , is how disruptive and divisive it would be. It's not like us Evertonians need any further excuses to argue amongst ourselves:):rant:

At the time of Rooney moving to Man.U, Everton were a mess both on and off the field. Rooney stood out like a sore thumb in a team of very average players. Rooney had already been labelled as a World Class player. He had the world at his feet. He had everyone in his ear, and his parents ears for that matter telling them that to have the glittering career his talent deserved, then he would have to leave Everton. He, Coleen, his future children and family would be financially set up for life as well. Everton were in a mess financially and had flirted with relegation for many seasons. Rooney remaining at Everton was never ever going to happen inspite his love for the club.

When he moved, the backlash from the Evertonians was nasty. It was personal. The footballing world had their arm around Rooney whilst his first love was spitting vitriolic bile in his direction. No surprise he reacted the way he did. Anyone would have reacted the same. Don't blame Rooney for leaving Everton, blame those who had overseen years of mismanagement at the club for the reason we couldn't offer a stage for his talent.

So fast forward to now. Even those he has enjoyed glittering success at Man.U, I don't believe for a minute that he truly gives a toss about that club. Man.U served a purpose for Rooney, that's it. If Man.U was in Rooney heart, then he wouldn't have openly flirted with his first love for all these years. His interview after Duncans testimonial told a thousand words, even though the lad was so overwhelmed he could barley string two words together. The lad is a blue and always will be. Everton is where his heart is, end of story.

Tony Hibbert is a blue through and through, but I wouldn't have him back solely based on that fact. It looks to me like Rooney has been going through the motions at Man.U and England for some time now. Rooney's football comes from the heart, not from his head. Would pulling on the Everton shirt relight Rooney? That is the question I'm asking myself. Ideally, a loan deal in January for 6 months would answer that question for all concerned. At best, Rooney has 2 years left him in at top level. Would it worth it?

My biggest gripe with Rooney was his silence through the whole thing, Owen made it clear he would always look to play around Europe and experience different things in football, Rooney kept his mouth shut the whole time while Bu****it Bill got rid. He could easily have came out and said something.

I still don't understand why a player with so few appearances is held so highly at Everton when other players have given much more for the club and get absolutely slated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back