Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
its embarrassing in so many ways. The fact we will be paying him as much if not more than our better players, when he is clearly over the hill
and should be put out to pasture. The kopites will have so much fun with this, just when things were going so well
I also think he could be probalamatic in the dressing room Koeman taking a huge risk with this, seems madness with better players out there

I still think Wayne has a lot to offer as a player, but, I don't think him coming here will work for him or us. Throughout his career he has needed to play every week to keep his sharpness, I just don't see him starting every week here. He is the type of lad who needs a run of games to build fitness and sharpness and then needs to keep playing week in and week out to maintain those levels.

I hope I am wrong, because there s no doubt that with his football brain he could be a very good addition to the squad and with his world profile he would certainly put our name out there and hey, Koeman and Walsh know a lot more about football than me, so, let's wait and see.

its embarrassing in so many ways. The fact we will be paying him as much if not more than our better players, when he is clearly over the hill
and should be put out to pasture. The kopites will have so much fun with this, just when things were going so well
I also think he could be probalamatic in the dressing room Koeman taking a huge risk with this, seems madness with better players out there
I cant understand why we would bring him. We're getting young, great talent, bringing in an expensive has-been seems like a stupid move.

It all depends on how the deal is structured, but 50m + 250k p/w for a single player is an extraordinary amount of money. If this theoretical £50m player signed a 5 year contract, they'd end up costing the club well over £100m over the course of that contract, which is extortionate.

Thats looking simply at the finances (let's let Moshiri worry about for a minute)..... Let's look at what the player could offer us on the pitch..... Rooney is pretty much done, he struggled last season to get into games, and was giving the ball away alot, he was sitting on the bench of a team that couldn't score goals, sitting on a bench of a team that nowhere near Top 4..... We have players who can play where Rooney will be playing, we don't have a main striker, so thats where we should be spending money on (and offering top wages).....

If we've offered Rooney more than we were offering Lukaku, I honestly don't understand that logic one bit....

whole thing is madness, I could see the attraction in Ibrahimovic on 12-18 month pay as you play deal but Rooney?
He is finished in every way cant understand us taking him back giving him a final pay day, makes us look desperate

I stand by what I said earlier, as a youth academy helper yes, defo. As a bench warmer? Why? No reason for that when we can buy proven talent instead of an expensive, likely infuriating impact sub.

Borrowing a geriatric Rooney from Utd smacks of little old Everton for me. No thanks. Go get a striker from Europe with his best years in front om him instead.
We did mate in Sandro.
This is for experience, squad depth and proven quality.

I stand by what I said earlier, as a youth academy helper yes, defo. As a bench warmer? Why? No reason for that when we can buy proven talent instead of an expensive, likely infuriating impact sub.
Speak to you mid-season Friend. (Opens vault-o-matic.)

Thats looking simply at the finances (let's let Moshiri worry about for a minute)..... Let's look at what the player could offer us on the pitch..... Rooney is pretty much done, he struggled last season to get into games, and was giving the ball away alot, he was sitting on the bench of a team that couldn't score goals, sitting on a bench of a team that nowhere near Top 4..... We have players who can play where Rooney will be playing, we don't have a main striker, so thats where we should be spending money on (and offering top wages).....

If we've offered Rooney more than we were offering Lukaku, I honestly don't understand that logic one bit....

I don't really disagree with much of that - my point is simply that a £50m player on £250k p/w could end up costing nearly one third of the total cost of our new stadium over the course of a 5 year contract. While we're certainly not short of cash at the moment - that seems like a gamble we're not really in a position to make, especially with our commercial revenues still lagging far behind our competitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back