Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
31 year old Manchester United captain who after coming through our academy has won almost every club level honour you can think of.
I take absolutely zero pride in our academy producing players to win trophies for Manchester United.

Second only to Alan Shearer with regard to scoring goals in the premier league
Because of longevity. He's played in this league every week for 15 years, meaning in football terms he is more like a 36 year old than a 31 year old. Hasn't been a consistent goalscorer for a few years now and by his own admission no longer has the legs to play as a centre forward.

Also I love anticipating the sickness of United fans if Rooney came home and became the player he used to be again
How is transferring to Everton going to bring his pace back? He would continue to underperform and we would have the same problems accomodating him in our team as United/England do. Man United fans are absolutely not going to be "sick" at stealing our most talented ever academy graduate at 18 years old, winning the lot with him, and spitting him back out to us at 31 when his legs have gone. Don't be daft.

Harsh but fair.

31 year old Manchester United captain who after coming through our academy has won almost every club level honour you can think of.
Second only to Alan Shearer with regard to scoring goals in the premier league.

Yes, I think he still has plenty to offer. Yes, I'd love to see him back.

Also I love anticipating the sickness of United fans if Rooney came home and became the player he used to be again.... would just underline how much he really doesn't give a toss about playing for that club anymore.

Say we got him in the summer. By the time we'd get him he'd have something like 620 appearances over about 12 years with C-league+league+England duty and rarely had an offseason to recover. It just wrecks your body and attacking mid in the prem is probably the most taxing position to play on your body. He's going to need a much lighter workload or in order to succeed (say 40 matches/year tops) and retire from international play because while you may be getting a player who's just 31-32 but he's played a hell of lot more matches than someone who's 35-37.

Whilst I largely agree I think doing it when we were remembering Alan Ball was very wrong.

It's also largely forgotten that we were in financial difficulty back then. Someone can correct me if wrong but I think we took out a loan in Feb of 04 and required a big influx of cash to play the loan off...in September of that year about 2
Weeks after we sold him.

I'm incredibly sceptical of how much we tried to keep him.

We wouldn't have sold him then in a very real likelihood we would have 'done a Leeds'

In short we tried tokeep him as mcuh as we tried to keep ferguson or indeed Speed IMO, it suited the club to sell him when we did, and his agent was more than happy to play ball, a young and not too clued up lad was a perfect patsy, agree what you said about the timing and ball though, but then again he was a bloody kid and i know at 18-19 i did loads of silly stuff that makes a grown up me cringe like

Besides the goal he was absolutely woeful tonight. looked like he'd never played football before, and didn't have any control oh what his feet we're doing. it was quite funny to watch to be honest.

Why anyone would want to spend a lot of money on wages or a fee for a player who's form has declined so badly in the last 2 or 3 years ?

go and read the thread on red cafe about him coming here, they watch him every week and almost to a man they want him out of their club, if we really do have money this is not the signings we need to be making.

Why anyone would want to spend a lot of money on wages or a fee for a player who's form has declined so badly in the last 2 or 3 years ?

go and read the thread on red cafe about him coming here, they watch him every week and almost to a man they want him out of their club, if we really do have money this is not the signings we need to be making.
All i get from reading that is what a bunch of spoiled children United fans are. Their sense of entitlement is only bettered by that sorry lot across the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back