Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take absolutely zero pride in our academy producing players to win trophies for Manchester United.
Ah, who was saying that they take pride in an academy player of ours winning trophies for united? I was pointing out a fact. But it's OK, you can score some points by implying that I cracked a smile and shed a tear every time he slotted for United.

Because of longevity. He's played in this league every week for 15 years, meaning in football terms he is more like a 36 year old than a 31 year old. Hasn't been a consistent goalscorer for a few years now and by his own admission no longer has the legs to play as a centre forward.

And Shearer retired at the age of 36 after playing week in, week out in the league for just under 19 years... which by your logic would make Shearer more like a 43 old than a 36 year old when he hung up his boots. I know what you're getting at here and it's something commonly said among pundits but in reality - that's just speculation. Do you have a source for when Rooney said he no longer had the legs to play centre forward?

How is transferring to Everton going to bring his pace back? He would continue to underperform and we would have the same problems accomodating him in our team as United/England do. Man United fans are absolutely not going to be "sick" at stealing our most talented ever academy graduate at 18 years old, winning the lot with him, and spitting him back out to us at 31 when his legs have gone. Don't be daft.

Again, you're putting words in my mouth here mate. I said nothing about moving back to Everton making him faster - it's very easy to argue any topic if you're going to build straw men all over the place. When I said "the player he used to be", I mean exactly what has been said multiple times already in this thread - I feel that coming back to Everton would reinvigorate him and a driven player is a very different prospect to one that seems jaded. Yes, if Rooney came back and was utter crap, United fans would hardly miss him... but I'm working under the assumption that he would be a great player for us again (which is how I think he would do, I know you disagree but you don't have a monopoly on facts especially things that haven't happened yet) - you are working under the assumption that he would be worse than crap. So of course if you assume your outcome is the way it will be exactly - then you're right, united fans wouldn't be 'sick'. The point is moot though - unless you're saying that if he came back and was a success that united fans wouldn't care, that would be an argument against what I said.

No it is not just speculation. When he was younger people would say that because of his early start in the game/his build/style of play, that he would peak early and drop off heavily, that WAS speculation. But over the last 2 seasons, that has proved true. Watch him play and it is evident. It is why he can't get in the England team, why Man United want rid, and why I personally wouldn't have him back.

Yes he's often spoke about how he isn't suited to playing centre forward anymore, here is the first result from google: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36318880

My assumption that he will continue on his downwards trajectory is based on evidence of his dire performances for the last 2 years. Yours, that Everton would reinvigorate him and turn him back into a great player, is based on wishful thinking.

And no, I don't think United fans would care if he was a success here. They have clearly had the best out of him, and by all accounts will be glad to see the back of him no matter what.

*Edit - I'll leave this here now. Just realised how much time i've wasted arguing about a fat scruff with a Stereophonics tattoo and now I hate myself.

Last edited:
Romelu Lukaku reveals his desire to play with Man Utd's Wayne ...

always remember that headline, remember loads off players saying it! who wouldnt want a play like him back he is still class, maybe bar lukaku he would be are best attacking player, anyone who improves are team id want, he still loves everton no matter what people think, testimonial, bringing his lad the everton match in fairness to his move hes won every trophy he could since hes been gone! he is class and would make other player take note of us rooney lukaku barkley baines coleman williams all in the same team with koeman has a manager is a very attractive proposition!

My grandparents and parents were born and raised in Everton, they eventually moved to Walton where I was born ,raised and schooled. When my Dad , Uncle or other family members weren't taking me to the match in the 60s ,I was minding cars. I come from a family of Blues as do countless others. I have followed Everton around the country and the continent. I have been spat at , punched , kicked,arrested and stabbed. I am not the greatest Evertonian ever , far from it, there are far greater Evertonians out there,thousands of them. If I had been blessed with the abilities to play professional football and play for Everton I know I would never have left by choice, ever, because I am an Evertonian.
So please don't tell me that spudhead is an Evertonian , he isn't . To call him one is an insult to the thousands of far better Evertonians than me.
I do not in general abuse or barrack players in our shirt . If he ever returns I will do my personal verbal best to make him regret it.
Wayne Rooney an Evertonian? NO he definitely is not.

Love the way people remember every last detail but kind of forget the fact he was a teenager who at the time after he left was getting abuse 10 times worse than anything Barkley has heard, don't blame him one bit for giving it back to the ones giving him dogs during that game, likely the exact same ones who are giving Barkley shedloads every game whilst he is still one of ours.

Whilst I largely agree I think doing it when we were remembering Alan Ball was very wrong.

It's also largely forgotten that we were in financial difficulty back then. Someone can correct me if wrong but I think we took out a loan in Feb of 04 and required a big influx of cash to play the loan off...in September of that year about 2
Weeks after we sold him.

I'm incredibly sceptical of how much we tried to keep him.

21 min: A lovely disguised pass by Martial finds Rooney right in front of goal, 18 yards out. It’s United’s best chance so far, by miles, and the Rooney of yesteryear would have lashed the ball into the net without even thinking about. Instead he takes a terribly oafish touch and the ball runs away from him, the chance dies, and we are left with nothing but a feeling of sadness. It’s not fun seeing Rooney so far away from what he used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back