Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest concern I have is not with the playing side, tbh, it's with the shadow he'll cast over the rest of the team.

He is a global superstar. Not a superstar player for a long time, but a super star in terms of image. We are in the media's eyes from this point forward now Rooney FC.

Not that he has an ego that he needs stroking or anything, he's very collegiate by nature. But I have a lot of reservations over how team-mates handle this type of immediate downgrading in their own importance. You need players who feel they can be leaders of the team. With Rooney in there it's impossible.

We'll see. For now, and on balance, it's a welcome development.
I feel that that's mostly down to him. I hope he enters FF and the dressing room respectful of the blue servants in there like Jags and Coleman. If he gets that right people like Tom and maybe Ross will look up to him and some of his experience will rub off on them. If he behaves like he's bigger than the club (ref: Romelu) then it's not going to work.

Mate. People get annoyed at Barry for being "old" and on a big salary. He's going to the highest paid player in our history and playing a bit part, how is that of any use to us ? People are saying it's a commercial thing, we are owned by a billionaire FFS.
Bryan, football's come home !!

Maybe. But he's 31, not 35, if people from other countries are still interested in him and watch Everton as a result, it's a bonus.

I think the amount of games he has played is more relevant than his actual age.

People generally support football clubs not footballers. People abroad like Rooney coz they support United, not the other way around.

I think physically he'll be fine. What he's lacked the last few seasons is motivation, been phoning it in at Utd. Got 2-3 years in him no probs.

The biggest concern I have is not with the playing side, tbh, it's with the shadow he'll cast over the rest of the team.

He is a global superstar. Not a superstar player for a long time, but a super star in terms of image. We are in the media's eyes from this point forward now Rooney FC.

Not that he has an ego that he needs stroking or anything, he's very collegiate by nature. But I have a lot of reservations over how team-mates handle this type of immediate downgrading in their own importance. You need players who feel they can be leaders of the team. With Rooney in there it's impossible.

We'll see. For now, and on balance, it's a welcome development.

I agree with your implications that the dynamic of the team will be significantly altered by Rooney returning. But I'm rather optimistic the effect could be positively transformative, rather than stifling and destabilizing. Responsibility and public attention aren't fixed, zero-sum entities. As long as Rooney doesn't start believing and acting like he as an individual is bigger than the club it will all be good.

And, oh, Davek: I'm bringing you back off my block list now ;)

Just to add, think he'll be a great addition for home games against teams who will come and park the bus. He has that something extra in terms of picking a pass or making something special happen. Weirdly made up he's back, even though he's obviously not the player he once was.

This whole thread reminds me of a flickering light bulb that is about to burn out.... transfer on/of/on/off/on/off...come home/go away/ come home/go away/come home/go away/...... It will be a success/failure/success/failure/success/failure/success/failure/...

I am guessing this might be the way Rooney's career with us will end... good game/bad game/good game/bad game/good game/bad game/... until bench/no game/bench/no game/bench/bench/bench.... no more games. The real debate is what the timescale on all this will be. Everton think two years at best, I agree/disagree/agree/disagree/agree/disagree/agree/disagree/...............
Wouldn't a lighthouse of been a more fitting metaphor given your avatar?

....drops mic....

People generally support football clubs not footballers. People abroad like Rooney coz they support United, not the other way around.

True, but I think we need to be making an effort to globalise the brand if we're really going to compete. Rooney won't do that alone by any stretch, but hes a foot in the door in terms of coverage in certain countries because of how popular he is.

Look at China, we're dealing with the biggest bank, we've signed a player who is hugely popular there. If we set up a mini tour, I think it would get a bit of backing. Gotta start somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back