Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Top scorer, saved us again today - still more talent than any other player in the squad.

And yet our striker with one league goal in 16 games and the total inability to be effective gets away with it.
Took a buddy of mine to the game today, he's an Arsenal fan for his sins.
End of the game he said, "bloody hell you lot don't half abuse Rooney for actually giving a s***, he's the only one that looks like he has any ability about him".

Everton.

End of the game he said, "bloody hell you lot don't half abuse Rooney for actually giving a s***, he's the only one that looks like he has any ability about him".

Everton.

Should we be playing Wayne Rooney in everything single game?

No - but we'd be in serious muck now if we didn't - well, if being 5 points above a Palace side that took 8 games to get a result isn't serious muck already

But it won't stop the usual dweebs sticking the boot in, it'll probably all be linked back to Martinez soon as well

That's wrong because it's either him or Sigurdsson not both. Everything seems to be slow and static up front.

Then it's Rooney all day long. Away from his penalty, he pinged in a cross for DCL who should've scored. What did Siggurdson do? Get pulled back in the box. That's it. Playing his his number 10 role.

And the static forward still includes two wingers.

Siggurdson is a complete passenger with limited passing range, zero pace (did you see him kill a number of counter attacks?), who is scared to pick up the ball from deep and link play.

Should we be playing Wayne Rooney in everything single game?

No - but we'd be in serious muck now if we didn't - well, if being 5 points above a Palace side that took 8 games to get a result isn't serious muck already

But it won't stop the usual dweebs sticking the boot in, it'll probably all be linked back to Martinez soon as well
He's past it. He was awful again today.

Has looked finished for the last 18 months he was at united. His heart and motivation is there to well for us, but sadly he just hasn't got the legs to influence games like he once did. He is being shoehorned into the team at the expense of a better more coherent system that would utilise the talents of other players within the squad.

Then it's Rooney all day long. Away from his penalty, he pinged in a cross for DCL who should've scored. What did Siggurdson do? Get pulled back in the box. That's it. Playing his his number 10 role.

And the static forward still includes two wingers.

Siggurdson is a complete passenger with limited passing range, zero pace (did you see him kill a number of counter attacks?), who is scared to pick up the ball from deep and link play.
They can both be useless.

Everton.
They're not doing that for no reason.

I was against him returning to Everton, I didn't think he still had what it takes to cut it in the Premier League.
I accept that he is now our leading scorer in the league but let's be honest if Pickford had scored today's penalty he would be third in our scoring list one goal behind Rooney.
We are not poor because of Rooney but he certainly is a symptom of our current plight.
He shouldn't be playing every game but then neither should quite a number of others.
If we don't secure a focal point of our attack and a centre half we are going to struggle all season, even with those two improvements we need to introduce width and pace. We couldn't stretch Brighton today. Teams must love playing us, we can't hurt them.
We are like a dog with no teeth, we can't bite but we can give you a nasty suck.

He's past it. He was awful again today.

Wrong. He pulled it out of the fire for us again, as he has done on several occasions. He's got absolutely no one to pass to on the wings, no movement around him, and a willing but incredibly limited young kid up front.

Nah, what he should be doing though is charging around winning and dominating the entire pitch by himself.

Who do people want in there instead ? Sigurdsson, the fella who just phones it in every week? "Oooh but he's not played exactly in his position". Christ he's not a right back being asked to play centre forward. Klaassen? Totally hopeless. Davies? Not good enough yet.

So we rely on Wayne to carry us, and keep on carrying us, until Cowhead goes to the managerial abattoir

True

But one has scored goals. The other can't even take corners anymore
He did start well. He was really good in the 2nd half V Stoke, but he started well for UTD last season m, he started their first 5-6 games then fell away, he's doing the same again.

When he ran towards Gueye when we had a 5 on 3 break early in the game and he put an end to that chance was enough for me.

The manager had £150mill to spend on top of having Rooney in the squad.

If he'd bought well, maybe we wouldn't have to rely on him.

As none of the signings are playing near his level, he plays, he starts, and everyone else has to step up.

Rooney in the squad- no problem with that at all. Starting every game? That's a massive issue. Furthermore the argument that he's the best of a bad bunch is so weak and doesn't even address the issue which I and other posters have raised that perhaps he himself is hindering other members of the team. Shoehorning him in for united didn't work. Neither did it for England. What solution did those two teams opt for? They bombed him out. What's our solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back