Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
How people are having a go at Rooney when he has produced far more then what, at least I, expected I cannot understand.
We are playing either a back 4 with 2 sitting midfielders behind him, or a back 5 with wingbacks and 2 sitting midfielders. We get rolled over not because we have two number 10s loitering around but because we have a defensive set up that have hardly put a foot right all season.
Positional awareness, game sense, when to press and when to fall, tracking players - they look completely clueless.

This is our defensive set up having seemingly no coaching. If we press with our forwards we should win 70-75% of all longballs hooved into our half. We do not.
If we don't press we should have DCL or whoever leads the line standing about 5-10 meters into opposition half and either of the two centrebacks having acres of space to control long balls and minimal space to shift the ball around for the opposition. We do not.

The team, regardless if we are defending or attacking, is incredibly stretched with acres of space in between team parts ready for opposition to exploit. We have players capable of exploting opposition on the counter, but we have no shape from the start so for every part of the pitch we are playing 1 or 2 against 3 or 4.

How can we be 5 seasons into our 2 latest managers and we still have no general shape to fall back on. No basic game plan as things look from the side. It's getting to be a bit ridiculous.

Scored a cracking goal today , I cheered.
He didn’t do much else.
He isn’t the reason we’re crap, but he isn’t good enough to make a difference.
Wouldn’t miss him, personally. We’ll get relegated with or without him anyway.

Isn't good enough to make a difference? If we where any use as a football team that goal would would be fitting of a winner like it was 15 years ago.

The difference with Lukaku is he scared defenders with his power and pace and drew men to him which in turn created space for other players.....the only thing Rooney is scaring is his own divorce attorney! ;)

I'm not his biggest fan - but Rooney still has bags of ability. Every goal he's score for us this year has been down to his quick thinking and ability.

Defenders are scared of him not because he will run past them, but because he's smarter than them.

He didn’t play out wide today, Gylfi that is, or wasn’t meant to. Should have been in the hole behind Rooney and DCL but of course that’s impossible when Rooney just wanders about.
"Impossible"
To what? Get closer to Rooney, link up with him?
Ok mate.

I think if we stuck him upfront, told him not to come back into midfield and save his legs, he could get 15 for us this season, maybe a few more if we get into a bit of form and on a run, the manager will have to go to have that though.

Still very handy in and around the box.

I think if we stuck him upfront, told him not to come back into midfield and save his legs, he could get 15 for us this season.

Still very handy in and around the box.

Play him and DCL together, rotate Niasse when required fitness-wise. Have Vlasic, Lookman, Lennon, Mirallas etc rotate on the wings and tell them their only job is to stand on the halfway line until we get control of the ball, then just sprint for the corners.

Set remaining 6 players up to cover the flanks and park the bus.

I'm not his biggest fan - but Rooney still has bags of ability. Every goal he's score for us this year has been down to his quick thinking and ability.

Defenders are scared of him not because he will run past them, but because he's smarter than them.

It's gonna be a bloody long season if we have to rely on rooneys brain power to get use through!

Play him and DCL together, rotate Niasse when required fitness-wise. Have Vlasic, Lookman, Lennon, Mirallas etc rotate on the wings and tell them their only job is to stand on the halfway line until we get control of the ball, then just sprint for the corners.

Set remaining 6 players up to cover the flanks and park the bus.
If we were to only play one striker, I'd start Rooney, keep him from coming into midfield, and then sub him for DCL or Niasse when he's gassed.

We can't keep relaying on DCL, he's still a bit green, Rooney has the experience to do that roll and be a threat in and around the box, it would also free up the Number 10 to have space to do his job.

If we were to only play one striker, I'd start Rooney, keep him from coming into midfield, and then sub him for DCL or Niasse when he's gassed.

We can't keep relaying on DCL, he's still a bit green, Rooney has the experience to do that roll and be a threat in and around the box, it would also free up the Number 10 to have space to do his job.

I wouldn't rely on DCL for goals, but he's done well at chasing down balls and winning hoofs. He doesn't have anyone around him though. I think it makes sense for us to play 2 forwards with Rooney being one of them as he needs legs around him to create space for him, and for him to create space for. Think Niasse and DCL might be ideal for that, DCL being the obvious better choice as his touch looks mustard.

Impossible to play in the hole when Rooney even as a striker thinks that’s his domain.

Ok mate.
"thinks that's his domain"
Yeah mate, been to every game this season and the amount of times i've seen him bombarding Gylfi for being in "his domain" are endless.
Oh wait.

"thinks that's his domain"
Yeah mate, been to every game this season and the amount of times i've seen him bombarding Gylfi for being in "his domain" are endless.
Oh wait.

?????? Did you to take a shovel to the head this morning lad. If you go every week and can’t see players being forced out of their position because of Rooney dropping back you need to stop wearing blackout shades to games.

?????? Did you to take a shovel to the head this morning lad. If you go every week and can’t see players being forced out of their position because of Rooney dropping back you need to stop wearing blackout shades to games.
haha!
Players being "forced out of position".
I've read it all now. Good day to your sir / madam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back