Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if we stuck him upfront, told him not to come back into midfield and save his legs, he could get 15 for us this season, maybe a few more if we get into a bit of form and on a run, the manager will have to go to have that though.

Still very handy in and around the box.

Agree. We are obviously lacking in a top class striker now Lukaku has gone when a lot are forgetting that we actually have one (to an extent, I am not suggesting that Rooney is still at the level he was from age 16-28). When Rooney plays well he can influence the game (2nd half against Stoke, periods against Man United away being just 2 examples). Ability wise he's still comfortably our most talented player and he can still make big contributions like the composed penalty against Brighton (even if he did have a poor game) the winner against Stoke, and the great finish yesterday. What are the alternatives until January, Niasse or Calvert Lewin lol? Both triers but Calvert-Lewin will struggle to make it in this league long term unless he improves his scoring record and the jury is still out on Niasse making it in a top half team, when we need better than that.

For Sigurdsson to be effective and not a complete and utter waste of time, we need to start playing him behind Rooney and telling Rooney to stay up there. Play with 2 wingers and the improvements would come. We can't challenge the top 6 this season due to the failed Striker situation in the Transfer Window but with a proper formation and players playing in their correct positions, I still think we could get 7th-9th and get back on track from January onwards and give everything in the FA Cup.

This all relies on us getting rid of the absolute embarrassment managing the team though!

Agree. We are obviously lacking in a top class striker now Lukaku has gone when a lot are forgetting that we actually have one (to an extent, I am not suggesting that Rooney is still at the level he was from age 16-28). When Rooney plays well he can influence the game (2nd half against Stoke, periods against Man United away being just 2 examples). Ability wise he's still comfortably our most talented player and he can still make big contributions like the composed penalty against Brighton (even if he did have a poor game) the winner against Stoke, and the great finish yesterday. What are the alternatives until January, Niasse or Calvert Lewin lol? Both triers but Calvert-Lewin will struggle to make it in this league long term unless he improves his scoring record and the jury is still out on Niasse making it in a top half team, when we need better than that.

For Sigurdsson to be effective and not a complete and utter waste of time, we need to start playing him behind Rooney and telling Rooney to stay up there. Play with 2 wingers and the improvements would come. We can't challenge the top 6 this season due to the failed Striker situation in the Transfer Window but with a proper formation and players playing in their correct positions, I still think we could get 7th-9th and get back on track from January onwards and give everything in the FA Cup.

This all relies on us getting rid of the absolute embarrassment managing the team though!
Needs must mate because we didn't replace Lukaku, there are solutions, it's just Moonhead does not see them, moving Rooney up top will also free Siguardsson to have the space to himself at No10, instantly you are improving the balance to the side in the final 3rd.

I have faith Sigurdsson could provide some very good chances for a striker like Rooney who has the experience to find the right spaces to score from.

Needs must mate because we didn't replace Lukaku, there are solutions, it's just Moonhead does not see them, moving Rooney up top will also free Siguardsson to have the space to himself at No10, instantly you are improving the balance to the side in the final 3rd.

I have faith Sigurdsson could provide some very good chances for a striker like Rooney who has the experience to find the right spaces to score from.

That's the most frustrating thing about the situation we find ourselves in. For me, as soon as the transfer window closed, we lost any hope of progression from last year as we've lost our most valuable asset who is the 2nd best goalscorer in the league and not replaced him.

However, the squad we have is still full of quality and we actually made some good additions, most notably Pickford. This side, if played in the right way is still capable of a 7th placed finish. But it's been mistake after mistake with Koeman just persisting with pointless tactics and formations, and the main problem with his current side is the lack of width and balance. If he sorted that out, I think we'd gradually pull ourselves out of this mess.

Rooney just doesn't stay up front though. He gets frustrated as he isn't influencing a game and doesn't have the movement anymore. We end up with balls getting played into the box and having nobody there.

Rooney just doesn't stay up front though. He gets frustrated as he isn't influencing a game and doesn't have the movement anymore. We end up with balls getting played into the box and having nobody there.
Absolutely this, he doesn't hold his position at all. When we have played him up front, a position he was crying out to play when at United, he drifts all over the pitch leaving us with nobody up the pitch at all. We then all complain about how we can't get out of our own half, unbelievable. Wayne Rooney is not bigger than the team, he can produce moments of magic sure, but if he can't play to the tactical plan laid out by the manager, and that the other players are trying to stick to, then he needs to be benched. We aren't good enough to allow a player to play in whatever position they feel like playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back