2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key passes is an utter nothing statistic.

For a player of his ability Rooney's passing is incredibly erratic.

He does have a role for this season but he simply has to stick to the position he is given otherwise it is pointless. I dont want to see him charging down into the left back position throwing in a stupid tackle whilst gurning like an idiot.

Stay up top and get on the end of things.

Off the bench, obviously.

We won 3 PL games in 11 games this season.

2 of them we won though by taking him off and we started to gel.

He just cannot play where ever he wants anyway. Sometimes he drops back sometimes at lb making those crazy tackles.

If he plays, it has to be in a defined role.

As others have said, his tendency to stray has hindered us.

Personally, I'd have him on the bench for now. He isn't the player we need right now. He's sloppy with his passing and slows down our play.

Introducing him with 20 mins remaining to either help kill a game or help chase a game should be his role imo

Err he was playing Left midfield, it’s called working hard & tracking the runner.

He wasn't tracking the runner though - literally all of their attacks came down that side because Rooney just doesn't have the pace to get back.

That's not his fault. I just don't know why he was playing there.

Gylfi gets stick for being slow, but hardly any attacks came down Watford's left side in that first half. The one that did was down to Jags making a mistake allowing Richarlison, who had drifted off Kenny in. Same for the goal, except Keane made the mistake and somehow we ended up with a 3-on-2 situation in Watford's favour.

We won 3 PL games in 11 games this season.

2 of them we won though by taking him off and we started to gel.

He just cannot play where ever he wants anyway. Sometimes he drops back sometimes at lb making those crazy tackles.

We won us the Stoke game and bagged us a point at City (only team to do so). I can also remember chances he made in key points in games that we should've took to change games. (Lennon and Niasse against Leicester, Baines against Watford).

And it has to be said, those two wins came from a kitchen sink approach against Bournemouth. And pure desire than tactics against Watford.

So it's swings and roundabouts.

He wasn't tracking the runner though - literally all of their attacks came down that side because Rooney just doesn't have the pace to get back.

That's not his fault. I just don't know why he was playing there.

Gylfi gets stick for being slow, but hardly any attacks came down Watford's left side in that first half. The one that did was down to Jags making a mistake allowing Richarlison, who had drifted off Kenny in. Same for the goal, except Keane made the mistake and somehow we ended up with a 3-on-2 situation in Watford's favour.

Has tracking back a fair bit on Sunday but his fitness isn’t there to get ahead of the play hence why he was diving in.

To accuse him of being out of position when making tackles at LB on Sunday is just mental considering he was playing left midfield.

Err he was playing Left midfield, it’s called working hard & tracking the runner.

He was not able to track the opposition on the wing cos he has no pace and thus making those last ditch crazy tackles and if he caught the player it would easily a red.

We won us the Stoke game and bagged us a point at City (only team to do so). I can also remember chances he made in key points in games that we should've took to change games. (Lennon and Niasse against Leicester, Baines against Watford).

And it has to be said, those two wins came from a kitchen sink approach against Bournemouth. And pure desire than tactics against Watford.

So it's swings and roundabouts.

I just think he cannot play in AM if there are no runners on the wing with pace. When we play without him I believe we play a hell a lot better.

Has tracking back a fair bit on Sunday but his fitness isn’t there to get ahead of the play hence why he was diving in.

To accuse him of being out of position when making tackles at LB on Sunday is just mental considering he was playing left midfield.

Yeh I don't agree that he was out of position, it was just a nonsense decision to play him there.

It's shoehorning him into the side - which we simply can't afford to do.

The one bit of decent play he did was when he was in that inside-left channel. Against Leicester, the good thing he did was play Lennon in for that chance, while he was in the inside-right channel.

If he plays up top, it needs to be with two other strikers (like against Stoke), so they all have support.

At the moment though, that's the only position he can actually play for me. Any other way, he just doesn't fit in the team. And we can't play three forwards in every game - or well, I doubt we will.

He hasn't though mate.

He's been awful lately.

None of them have played particularly well, but Rooney isn't even doing the basics right.

His discipline in terms of position is awful, he's slow, and his touch is off. His passing has been abysmal.

He has tailed off since the start of the season but I still maintain in most games he has made a contribution more than most.

Don't think he should play every minute either btw, but I think there are much bigger problems than him.

Also think only one of him or GS should start.

I don't think this is anyone 'hating on' Rooney, btw.

He's still our top goalscorer, still our best player in terms of an actual goal threat I'd say, but the issue is he just doesn't have the discipline to stay isolated up top when we need him to either lead the line or support the striker, and he doesn't have the pace to play wide.

So, for me, for now, we have to relegate him to a bench role, especially considering Ross may soon be back. Let him start the remaining Europa fixtures, but in the league have him there to come on in the last 20 minutes.

Right now, our side needs balance. A bit of everything.

Gylfi has been a disappointment, but one thing he does add is work rate plus the ability to get up and down.

Rooney simply doesn't have that in him anymore.

He has tailed off since the start of the season but I still maintain in most games he has made a contribution more than most.

Don't think he should play every minute either btw, but I think there are much bigger problems than him.

Also think only one of him or GS should start.

Definitely only one of him and Gylfi should start - I just think at this stage, for what this team needs going forward towards Christmas, Gylfi offers us more.

We need to get out of the situation we're in. That's when we can get the confidence back and start working Rooney etc back into the side.

Fact of the matter is we look more balanced without him in the side at the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back