2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key passes is an utter nothing statistic.

For a player of his ability Rooney's passing is incredibly erratic.

He does have a role for this season but he simply has to stick to the position he is given otherwise it is pointless. I dont want to see him charging down into the left back position throwing in a stupid tackle whilst gurning like an idiot.

Stay up top and get on the end of things.

Off the bench, obviously.

Well, another utter nothing stats shows his pass completion percentage of 77.8% is still better than Niasse 65%, DCL 65.6%, and Vlasic 75.6%, while only a fraction below the best among the attackers in Gylfi and Davies (both 80.3%).

I also don't quite understand about the positional indiscipline that he is being accused of. I thought most of the times he "drifted out of his position" he did so either to help provide an option to pass for a team mate which was under pressure, or to cover an area without a team mate which can be an opening for opponent's movement or pass.

Is he expected to ignore those situations and just stay within his "area of the pitch" regardless of what happens in other areas of the field? It would be easier for him I'm sure, if he doesn't have to care about running around so much to help cover the defense, but I don't think he could ever do that, nor should any player who cares about his team.

And I also don't understand why when he left his position, there can't be a team mate who will cover his initial position. I don't think positions in modern football are so rigid and static that each outfield player is confined to only a certain area of the pitch that he is assigned to at all times. It may be more so for defenders, but I've never heard before that an attacker is being blamed for helping the defence too much.

Well, another utter nothing stats shows his pass completion percentage of 77.8% is still better than Niasse 65%, DCL 65.6%, and Vlasic 75.6%, while only a fraction below the best among the attackers in Gylfi and Davies (both 80.3%).

I also don't quite understand about the positional indiscipline that he is being accused of. I thought most of the times he "drifted out of his position" he did so either to help provide an option to pass for a team mate which was under pressure, or to cover an area without a team mate which can be an opening for opponent's movement or pass.

Is he expected to ignore those situations and just stay within his "area of the pitch" regardless of what happens in other areas of the field? It would be easier for him I'm sure, if he doesn't have to care about running around so much to help cover the defense, but I don't think he could ever do that, nor should any player who cares about his team.

And I also don't understand why when he left his position, there can't be a team mate who will cover his initial position. I don't think positions in modern football are so rigid and static that each outfield player is confined to only a certain area of the pitch that he is assigned to at all times. It may be more so for defenders, but I've never heard before that an attacker is being blamed for helping the defence too much.

I dont do statistics in football. I get that some people do but it is not a statistic based sport due to far too many variables.

His positional indiscipline is easy, he is bombing around everywhere trying to throw tackles in etc (commendable I suppose) but when we get the ball back there is not outlet as he is then behind the play.

Players play in positions for a reason, otherwise you would just chuck 11 players out there wherever and hope for the best.

His legs have gone in my football manager save now, only 1 season and he can barely move.
Will have to let him see his contract out because no one will take him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back