2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like it or not - Rooney along with Pickford has been Evertons best player this season.

Grim as it is, it's true.

Not really I'd say Niasse and Davies have done more . Rooney has shown the odd flash of quality but his legs are going so it's been amongst dross of him slowing the team down and dropping deeper and deeper. He has a role but as a squad player for me.

I agree with most that you said, but I don't think that he's not staying up front is a matter of discipline. I don't think that he has been told a million times and keep forgetting that every time, or just ignore it because he's arrogant.

As the striker, he doesn't stay up front to anticipate counter attacking opportunities because he and his manager know that at least two defenders will stay with him and he doesn't have the legs to win a sprint race with them.

He also doesn't stay in the penalty box in the build up of attack the way a striker like Lukaku does because he doesn't have the body strength or height to be effective there. Instead, he moves around to find space, to be more involved in the attack.

However, despite of his lack of pace, strength and height, his finishing and positioning as a striker is in a different class than Niasse or DCL.

I think he can't be the target man that stays up front, he won't do well there. So, play him as one of front two or front three, or a ten, otherwise bench him, just don't expect him to be the furthest man up the pitch.
If it's not indiscipline on Rooney's part it's poor instructions from the manager. Personally I think its Rooney. Its his natural instinct to drop deep same as its his instinct to cut inside when playing out wide.

I'd like to see us play with a proper 2 up front with 1 of them being Rooney. At least at home initially.

If it's not indiscipline on Rooney's part it's poor instructions from the manager. Personally I think its Rooney. Its his natural instinct to drop deep same as its his instinct to cut inside when playing out wide.

I'd like to see us play with a proper 2 up front with 1 of them being Rooney. At least at home initially.

The thing that might be a concern with Rooney as one of a front two, and Gylfi plays behind them in 3-4-1-2, is when Rooney drops deeper by instinct, he might crowd Gylfi's position, but I think they are intelligent enough to allow interchange of positions between them, also with the other striker.

There is also a possibility that Rooney can stay up front by intent, due to the presence of a strike partner to divide the marking.

One might say that both of them would make the slowest strike force in the league, but the ball travels faster than any man can run with it. Pace without quality is even worse, it breaks down play more than many people seem to realize.

The wingers must be good defensively, maybe Baines and Lennon could do the job. They will have cover from the center backs and DM/CM.

It would be more difficult to put Gylfi in 4-4-2, 2 men center mid will be weak with him there, not sure about him on the wing also. I think he should play though, many times games are won through set piece, he could make a difference.

4-3-3 with Rooney, Niasse and DCL with Gylfi behind them might also work, but need 2 DM to cover the defence, so no Davies there.

The thing that might be a concern with Rooney as one of a front two, and Gylfi plays behind them in 3-4-1-2, is when Rooney drops deeper by instinct, he might crowd Gylfi's position, but I think they are intelligent enough to allow interchange of positions between them, also with the other striker.

There is also a possibility that Rooney can stay up front by intent, due to the presence of a strike partner to divide the marking.

One might say that both of them would make the slowest strike force in the league, but the ball travels faster than any man can run with it. Pace without quality is even worse, it breaks down play more than many people seem to realize.

The wingers must be good defensively, maybe Baines and Lennon could do the job. They will have cover from the center backs and DM/CM.

It would be more difficult to put Gylfi in 4-4-2, 2 men center mid will be weak with him there, not sure about him on the wing also. I think he should play though, many times games are won through set piece, he could make a difference.

4-3-3 with Rooney, Niasse and DCL with Gylfi behind them might also work, but need 2 DM to cover the defence, so no Davies there.

A better idea would be to not have Gylfi or Rooney in there at all and play a balanced team with energy, width and players in their real positions.

Not going to happen mate. There's no way Rooney's critic's would be humble after he scores. It's happened a few times already. They get worse somehow.
It's a no-win situation here for "us" critics isn't it?

I've said he's crap, he scores, say he's still crap - "AH BUT HE SLOTS LAD ROONEY ROONEY ROONEY #1 IN DER WERLD".
I've said he's crap, he doesn't score, say he's still crap - "oh you're just so negative about that".

Truth is he's scored a few good goals but hindered the team more - the fat lazy git - but you know, it's all been said, no point in repeating the same thing 5000000 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back