2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not, I'm willing to listen to your reasoning

1. He hasn’t been awful all year, in fact in some games he’s been our most intelligent player
2. Played out of position (left wing) ?????
3. Always gives 100% unlike others
4. Been dropped for UNSYs kids....some aren’t good enough

My personal view is that IF we played him in the middle with one of the defensive midfielders we’d get the best out of him and then be able to play sigurdsson in the 10 role.

All about opinions but some people still hate him for leaving.
He left and he won quite a lot, can’t blame him really.

1. He hasn’t been awful all year, in fact in some games he’s been our most intelligent player

My personal view is that IF we played him in the middle with one of the defensive midfielders we’d get the best out of him and then be able to play sigurdsson in the 10 role.

Personally think he's played in a variety of positions and been terrible in all of them, especially recently. He just doesn't have the energy or stamina to be a viable option in midfield, quicker midfielders would just stroll past him like they did against Barry the last 2 seasons.

Nothing to do with him leaving 13 years ago, I doubt that many people are still using that as a stick to beat him with. His performances this season have been that of a finished man. He hasn't shown any leadership skills either which is one of the main things people wanted him back for, rather than help our young players through adversity he looks like he's just dragging them down to his poor level.

Loved the way he said the players are behind unsworth and performances have improved bar last night lol,anything to suck up to wanting unsworth and performances have not been any good at all,and we all know we have been lucky with the watford win,and palace draw etc

He actually looked gutted in his after match interview.

Which was nice to see.

But the fact that that is the most positive thing I can say about him says it all. What a terrible move this has been. I don't mind admitting that I got caught up in the romance a little and was made up when he scored against Stoke and City. But my god. We are worse when he's on the pitch.

Here's the thing though mate, United had Martial, Rashford, both very fast players and better than anything we have by a country mile, they also had other players with decent pace and movement, Lingaard, Young etc, they have fast overlapping fullbacks - one of whom was a former fast winger.

Yet Rooney absolutely stunk the gaff out for the last 3 years of his United career

It's somewhat similar to us excusing Baines by stating he has no one like Pienaar ahead of him or blaming the cb alongside him for not covering etc, sometimes players just age and it's not pretty when it happens, but time to face up to the simple fact - Rooney is finished at not even the top level but a level comfortably below that.

The last 3 years of Rooney's United career:
2014/15: top scorer
2015/16: 2nd top scorer, top assist provider
2016/17: 5 goals & 5 assists in 15 league starts and 10 substitute appearances.

His general play may not meet some people's expectation, but only a few of his fellow attackers have scored or assisted more than him in every season bar the last one when he didn't play as much.

I don't hate him for leaving.

I hate Kenwright for bringing him back and predictably doing so when he's past it. We all called it out like five years ago; the fact it happened is detestable.

I don't blame Rooney for any of it though. He's a mercenary who has taken the best pay cheque in his job available since he was a kid. Fair play to him. The club, however, should have not given him the pay here, as it was abundantly obvious he was finished at this level.

The last 3 years of Rooney's United career:
2014/15: top scorer
2015/16: 2nd top scorer, top assist provider
2016/17: 5 goals & 5 assists in 15 league starts and 10 substitute appearances.

His general play may not meet some people's expectation, but only a few of his fellow attackers have scored or assisted more than him in every season bar the last one when he didn't play as much.

all very impressive mate, but stats don't show a players all round game and how badly it had deteriorated

also he scored 12 in the league (1 pen) in 2014/15 - yeah Uniteds top scorer, but that is still for want of a better word absolutely crap goal returns.
15/16 - he scored a whopping 8 league goals (1 pen)

16/17 he scored 5 in 25 games

So not only has his general all round play been deteriorating year in year out, but also his production has been poor and dropping also.

all very impressive mate, but stats don't show a players all round game and how badly it had deteriorated

also he scored 12 in the league (1 pen) in 2014/15 - yeah Uniteds top scorer, but that is still for want of a better word absolutely crap goal returns.
15/16 - he scored a whopping 8 league goals (1 pen)

16/17 he scored 5 in 25 games

So not only has his general all round play been deteriorating year in year out, but also his production has been poor and dropping also.

When talking about the number of goals and assist he has produced you must also consider the system that he played under. My point is not that he has produced lots of goals and assists period, but that he have always been among the best in the team that finished 4th and 5th in the league in 14/15 and 15/16.

5 goals and 5 assists in 15 starts and 10 subs is not too bad, considering that most subs probably plays for 20-25 min average. As a comparison, Barkley scored 5 and assisted 8 in 32 starts and 4 subs last season.

He actually had a decent night, but you can see what happens every time he vacates the striker position. We look absolutely toothless and rely on counter attacks whereas we were actually having a decent go in the beginning when he held the ball up well. We conceded and he lost his head after taht

When talking about the number of goals and assist he has produced you must also consider the system that he played under. My point is not that he has produced lots of goals and assists period, but that he have always been among the best in the team that finished 4th and 5th in the league in 14/15 and 15/16.

5 goals and 5 assists in 15 starts and 10 subs is not too bad, considering that most subs probably plays for 20-25 min average. As a comparison, Barkley scored 5 and assisted 8 in 32 starts and 4 subs last season.

what also has to be considered though mate is he has been playing for a united side which even with having major troubles still had a plethora of top talented players in the side and who still finished around the top 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back