Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give him the armband full time and let him drive that team on week in week out. He raised everyone's game last night and you could see the confidence levels rising all the time. Joy to watch last night Wayne. Natural leader who we can maybe get a good few years out of in that deeper role. As said above that desire to get into the box for his second for me almost meant as much as that wonder goal.

Could that now be Wayne's perfect position? Holding/box-to-box.

I hate to see former greats shoehorned into positions based on past glories (Stevie Starfish laughable attempts at Holding in the WC being the best ever example...), but I thought he looked very capable last night. Even aside from the 3 goals!
different players from different positions, but I think scholes was around31 when he started to sit in midfield and run games from deep, I don't expect rooney to, but for me scholes became an even greater player when he started doing that, crazy what england missed out on

Last edited:
agree mate, any team that sits off as a matter of their system/style, we should play him in that exact role, against teams that do a heavy press then we should use him as an impact player later when the opposition is tiring.

maybe the cleanest strike of a 'moving' ball i have seen - remember scholes hit some beauties as well - not from that distance though, besides that - only ever seen a ball sturck like that from a free-kick (roberto carlosesque)

....most of those half-way line goals are scored with the ball running towards the opposition goal. Charlie Adams, Beckham and even Rooney’s at West Ham are fantastic strikes but the roll of the ball is towards the goal. This one is different, he’s striking a ball fizzing along the ground in his direction. All those years of kicking a football in the street.

....most of those half-way line goals are scored with the ball running towards the opposition goal. Charlie Adams, Beckham and even Rooney’s at West Ham are fantastic strikes but the roll of the ball is towards the goal. This one is different, he’s striking a ball fizzing along the ground in his direction. All those years of kicking a football in the street.
to hit a ball as flat as that, moving towards you from that distance, preventing any swerve, it takes a lot of doing as you say, sweet as a nut that strike

to hit a ball as flat as that, moving towards you from that distance, preventing any swerve, it takes a lot of doing as you say, sweet as a nut that strike

He wont hit a ball better. See some people say "its an open net"... Doesn't matter. 95 times out of a 100 a footballer whacks that high and wherever because the ball is fizzed back at him with pace.

Absolutely perfect strike of a football.

Rooney in the middle gives us so much more attacking impetus. If he has runners around him he can flourish in that role as long as we don't overuse him. He can't do 90mins every game anymore and it will take careful management of him because you can see how much it means to him to be playing. For me he should be starting most games and us bringing fresh legs on for him after 65-75 mins because he leaves everything out there that he has in the tank. Hopefully we can now put to bed this two defensive mids playing in every game and actually attack teams, especially those lower placed teams when we are at home. West Ham were poor yesterday and their pressing wasn't great but Rooneys speed of thought will always give him a half second more on the ball than others in the same way the likes of scholes had the first few yards in their heads.
Will be interesting to see what Allardyce does at the weekend wih Oumar back available.

Rooney in the middle gives us so much more attacking impetus. If he has runners around him he can flourish in that role as long as we don't overuse him. He can't do 90mins every game anymore and it will take careful management of him because you can see how much it means to him to be playing. For me he should be starting most games and us bringing fresh legs on for him after 65-75 mins because he leaves everything out there that he has in the tank. Hopefully we can now put to bed this two defensive mids playing in every game and actually attack teams, especially those lower placed teams when we are at home. West Ham were poor yesterday and their pressing wasn't great but Rooneys speed of thought will always give him a half second more on the ball than others in the same way the likes of scholes had the first few yards in their heads.
Will be interesting to see what Allardyce does at the weekend wih Oumar back available.

Aside from the goals, hiss was like a Pirlo / Scholes performance last night. Bringing runners into the game with incisive, instinctive passes from deep. Was relatively disciplined with his defensive positioning at times too, especially in the first half, where I thought we defended well.

If he's got 10-15 more performances like that in him this season we'll go shooting up the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back