Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe the cleanest strike of a 'moving' ball i have seen - remember scholes hit some beauties as well - not from that distance though, besides that - only ever seen a ball sturck like that from a free-kick (roberto carlosesque)
Extra special in the context of the game, in the context of our season even. Losing that 2-0 lead would have been devastating and we were wobbling badly second half. Then Pickford saved the pen and that opportunity fell to Rooney - having the bottle to crack it first time, straight down the middle under that pressure is what sets him apart. He can give the ball away trying to do too much - the challenge for the new manager is to let him do what he does well and have others pick up responsibility elsewhere on the pitch.

One or two memorable moments like that, goal v Liverpool and all is forgiven.

We've had very few moments of glee but besides Niasse, Rooney's been the only other provider of good times. In a season of crap.

He was absolutely stinking the gaff out for the first 10-15mins last night. Was trying to ping aimless 60yd balls and was giving West Ham the ball back far too frequently. He then scored the pen and he settled and ran the show.

Regardless of the amount of goals he's scored this season he's still been poor and needs to use last night as a platform to start putting in more consistent performances.
Agenda

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 11.30.04 AM.webp

Obvously I'm taking the mick a bit here but it does make for good reading like...

Could that now be Wayne's perfect position? Holding/box-to-box.

I hate to see former greats shoehorned into positions based on past glories (Stevie Starfish laughable attempts at Holding in the WC being the best ever example...), but I thought he looked very capable last night. Even aside from the 3 goals!

He was boss this time yesterday, and today he's just as boss, if not bosserer...
The undoubted talent has always been there. Has he played well every game? No, but he's never gone hiding.
Get a few more showing the same effort and commitment and we're goin to be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back