Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely dreadful out wide first half, mind you.

Let's swerve playing him anywhere but centre mid or maybe number 10 please, Sam.
In my mind Allardyce got two things wrong with is line up yesterday.
One was playing Niasse out wide. The guy has only one virtue, and that is he will run at players, without and without the ball, and will follow the ball all over the park creating a nuisance of himself. But at wide left he was stuck to the touchline and restricted in his nuisance value.
But the bigger mistake was taking Lennon out of the role he'd been performing so well of late and making Rooney his direct replacement. Moving Rooney into the middle for the second half was a no-brainer.

In my mind Allardyce got two things wrong with is line up yesterday.
One was playing Niasse out wide. The guy has only one virtue, and that is he will run at players, without and without the ball, and will follow the ball all over the park creating a nuisance of himself. But at wide left he was stuck to the touchline and restricted in his nuisance value.
But the bigger mistake was taking Lennon out of the role he'd been performing so well of late and making Rooney his direct replacement. Moving Rooney into the middle for the second half was a no-brainer.

100%, said exactly that myself.

Semi hard shot in the middle of the goal isnt a great pen in my mind. If the keeper hadnt moved he would have easily saved it.

Wow, well good job he moved then! Virtually every penalty you'll see the goalie moves one way or the other making straight down the middle not a bad option - Rooney even said on interview he'd been practising that particular penalty after Mignolet had saved a couple of his previously!

Never scored a derby goal, keeper had saved his pens before & he admitted he was concerned over that, last 15 mins of a game where we were on the back foot and he missed his last pen yet he was the only person in the squad I'd have wanted on it.

It's moments like that where all that know how & big game experience that was brushed off as meaningless by the naysayers comes into play

Wow, well good job he moved then! Virtually every penalty you'll see the goalie moves one way or the other making straight down the middle not a bad option - Rooney even said on interview he'd been practising that particular penalty after Mignolet had saved a couple of his previously!
its the most reliable way to score a penalty.

There's been analysis done on the topic and hitting it down the middle is more effective than going left or right, precisely because the keeper nearly always moves. Plus you reduce the chance of hitting the post or outright missing, which you increase by going for the corners.

Obviously this would change if everyone started hitting centrally, but as things stand...

Dude, he scored one half-bad spot kick.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back