Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rooney looked so much better last night when he moved deeper after Davies came on.

It's all about body position.

In the first half he was constantly receiving the ball with his back to goal, with two players marking him. As his touch was a bit off to say the least, and he doesn't have the pace to spin away anymore, it was hindering us and meant that Schneiderlin and Gueye had only the wings to hit as a forward outlet.

Once Davies came in and we moved to a three, Rooney was picking the ball up facing the goal.

At home, this is vital. It allows him to dictate the play and spread it out wide or into the forward areas (as he did for Gylfi's goal).

Away from home I have no issue with him playing as the '10' in a 4-2-3-1, as we are mainly counter-attacking and that suits him.

Horses for courses.
Interesting to see how he sets up on Saturday mate. Agree the difference when Tom came on was huge and exactly what we needed

Interesting to see how he sets up on Saturday mate. Agree the difference when Tom came on was huge and exactly what we needed

It will be.

I'd like to think he'll go with the 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 we finished the game with and get at Chelsea.

But our play on the ball has to be up to scratch in that instance. Davies, Rooney and Gana all have to maintain possession well.

I won't be put out if Schneiderlin does start.

I think it was clearly a planned sub all along to bring Davies on when they started to tire, but we were just a bit too slow in the first half.

Was really surprised we kept him on so long last night, Sam has been pretty good about bringing him off to save his legs for the next game and I wonder if playing basically the full ninety last night means that Allardyce is looking at resting him vs Chelsea as he will see as a game to shut up shop and conserve Rooney for a more winnable game against West Brom next week? Couldn't seem to find anyone wearing a blue top first half but again had a massive influence on us winning that game last night.

...I can’t believe we have 25 points at Christmas given where we were after the Southampton game. 25 points is very acceptable and I almost think the Chelsea game is a ‘free hit’. Evertonians aren’t daft, they know the team aren’t playing well but what impresses me is that Allardyce says the same in his post-match interviews.

Rooney was poor as he himself said in his interview which I thought was enjoyable. I actually thought Rooney and Gueye played better after Schneiderlin went off.

...I can’t believe we have 25 points at Christmas given where we were after the Southampton game. 25 points is very acceptable and I almost think the Chelsea game is a ‘free hit’. Evertonians aren’t daft, they know the team aren’t playing well but what impresses me is that Allardyce says the same in his post-match interviews.

Rooney was poor as he himself said in his interview which I thought was enjoyable. I actually thought Rooney and Gueye played better after Schneiderlin went off.

1 point less than at the same stage last season & we've also scored more goals.

Still gives the ball away a lot !!
TBF he even admitted lastnight on the interview there is still some rust to fall off the boots. Providing he can stay in shape should be an interesting 2nd half to the season clearly starting to enjoy his footie again which was a concern.

upload_2017-12-19_15-59-28.webp

At the rate he's going, he could hit 20 goals this season.

The pens we have had tho, can't believe it, we are due one against Chelski.

Amazingly we've won 7 in the league this season, more than the last bloody decade... but we've still managed to concede 8 in the league. So technically we're still down one

..didn’t realise we’d conceded that many.

Just thinking about the funny little stutter Rooney does at the start of his run up. It’s probably a throw back to what he’s always done as a youngster. Not sure if Sigurdsson was Swansea’s penalty taker but i’d feel more confident if he was taking ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back