Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still unbalances the team....

Apparently

He has done the rest of the season. That's not his fault, it's just how it is

Play him where we did tonight and with the right players around him (ie loads of energy in Gueye and Davies) then it may just work long term. Gives Sigurdsson a bit more room to breathe too.

Looked amazing in the midfield role. Got him loads of space, hence the second two goals. (ok the second won;'t happen every week). I think we have just seen his new position.

You could see as soon as the game started that his position was a deliberate ploy. Rooney on the ball is still class and if he is up front or in the hole he won't get the time and is now of an age were his legs are well behind his thinking and he will get caught out. Dropping deep to collect the ball and bringing us forward was ideal for him as he gets that little bit more time on the ball to show what he can do. That second goal happened because of his run from deep is not seen. Brilliant game tonight and pleased for him on his hattrick.

Get ready @Soap, because I'm going in dry.

Yet more Man Utd cast offs for us. Phil Neville, Darron Gibson and now an overweight, slow, hinderance that will be Wayne Rooney.

Alex Ferguson said that Rooney peaked early in his career and knew he was detiorating at a rapid rate. Then the genius Dave Moyes gives him a 5 year contract at Utd after leaving us.

He's proper dross these days. Wouldn't get in the Stoke City first 11. Yet we're taking him? Why? Aren't we supposed to be a new project, with lofty ambitions? Yet we'd welcome a 30+ year old Rooney back who can't run 5 yards without getting out of breath.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/wayne-rooney.92135/page-379#post-5500507

Exactly.

Rooney can't run, doesn't score enough goals and will take over a place of someone better.

He wouldn't get into the West Brom side.
Why are we even discussing this?

This will end badly, mark my words.
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/wayne-rooney.92135/page-463#post-5572121

The only thing Rooney can be useful at is finishing the other players' pre-match meals.
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...man-utd-for-lukaku.97485/page-52#post-5577505

This is such a backwards step. If Rooney was going anywhere else you'd all be saying he is finished.

But us mugs have him back - every Man Utd fan I know is celebrating this like a new signing. They've wanted Rooney out for 3 seasons.

Absolutely ridiculous decision by everyone involved at the club. Rooney is overweight, past it and loves the beer and fags. He will treat this like a holiday home, you watch.

I am raging.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/wayne-rooney.92135/page-622#post-5586308

Talk about clutching at straws lad.

My pros: Rooney will sell shirts abroad

My cons: He is terrible at football now.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/wayne-rooney.92135/page-623#post-5586343

How am I a WUM? Are you genuinely excited about a 55 year old Wayne Rooney who can't walk 3 yards without breaking into a sweat these days?

Or are you trying to save face? It's ok to say how poor Wayne is now. He wouldn't make the first 11 of ANY team in the top 8 but we sell Rom and bring Rooney back?!

It's an absolute farce.
https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/posts/5586376/

Rooney guaranteed starter then.

Will be like playing with 10 men every weekend. What ARE we thinking?!

This has been done for sentimental and marketing reasons. Mark my words and quote this post if I am proved wrong, but the knives will be out for Wayne by Xmas.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/everton-sign-wayne-rooney.97552/page-49#post-5593243

Bury your head in the sand all you like.

But when Slippy Stevie was finished at the RS, and everyone knew yet he kept playing for sentimental reasons, we all loved it.

This is exactly the same. Most blues are letting their hearts rule their heads with this.

Rooney the footballer is finished. Mourinho knew it and got rid as soon as possible.

Did you all forget about Rooney's performances last season? They were absolutely dire.

This makes no sense whatsoever. I am numb.

Sign a Man Utd reject who is finished at the highest level in Wayne Rooney, sell our brightest and one of our most talented players in Ross Barkley.

Everton that.

I tried telling everyone this when we signed him.

The romantics wouldn't have any of it. He's finished.

So you disagree with their opinion?

It's got nothing to do with Rooney being a Scouser, that's just paranoid nonsense. It's because Rooney resembles a Championship footballer at best these days.

The only time Rooney gets creative these days is when he stops off for a kebab on the way home from the pub and has to choose what salad and sauce to cover it in.

Although it is a surprise to a few here. There are still some that think he will come good.

Rooney wouldn't hack it in the MLS these days let alone England's top division.
Why do people keep deluding themselves with Wayne still "having quality"?

He doesn't. Hes a liability on and off the pitch
Mate Rooney is finished at this level. There isn't even an argument to be had.

Wolves could sign him and no one would batter an eye lid.

In the summer:

I said that Rooney would be a bad idea. He's finished. You gave me pelters.

I said that Sigurdsson was just a big fish in a small pond, was too slow and not what we need. You gave me pelters.

I said that Koeman was a fraud and that his negative, turgid football wasn't right for us. You gave me pelters.

An apology would be nice.

Why does anyone put Rooney in their starting 11? It's baffling.
This is where your notion falls flat. He can't play fast. He is finished.

Remember when everyone knew Gerrard was finished yet Kopites kept trying to pretend that he was important in the first 11?

We're now doing that. Rooney is killing us, just as he did with Utd in Van Gaal's last season.

Jose Mourinho knew it, Utd fans knew it, England fans know it...Wayne Rooney is a clogger.
I want Rooney to be a clogger?

Wait, what?

Do you actually watch him? I just don't get why people still think he can play at the highest level? Delusion.

I said in the summer what an awful signing this would turn out to be. I got abused by so many of you for it.

I know I keep repeating myself but Wayne Rooney is the problem, not the solution. He's done! Wake up!

He has done the rest of the season. That's not his fault, it's just how it is

Play him where we did tonight and with the right players around him (ie loads of energy in Gueye and Davies) then it may just work long term. Gives Sigurdsson a bit more room to breathe too.

He's clever enough to know what we're lacking and, yes, floats out of position but I do think none of the other players are near his level to help out so it does look disjointed.

Up to the manager to make it work. Koeman couldn't, Unsworth just removed him...see what Sam does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back