Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was his last good performance, though? Months ago. Time has caught up to him and if the media reports of him wanting "assurances" about first team appearances then it is best for everyone for him to leave before this goes sour.

Don't disagree with that.

But I don't agree with people claiming it has been a disaster, as it simply isn't true.

Without his goals we'd have finished at lot lower than we did/been in a lot more danger than we were.

Facts are though, he came back, did ok, got arrested for drink driving, thus showing for me that this move back was one born out of sentiment and convenience.

If he was determined to make an impact he would have acted like an athlete and a professional.

He didn’t, so I’m not arsed either way.
if sporting Lisbon can create a 400 page dossier to justify the sacking of Silva for failing to wear a club suit on 1 occasion then surely we can justify getting rid of Rooney for drink driving.

I think that's doing Ronaldo a disservice. He is at the level he is because of his desire, not genetic luck.

Rooney chooses to drink and smoke. They say a picture speaks a thousand words, so...

View attachment 46526
No, it's both like he said. Ronaldo quite obviously has a better natural physique and fitness level than Rooney (and most other people). It's just the same as a bunch of mates who have similar lifestyles, one can balloon in weight while another never puts a pound on. Rooney certainly hasn't looked after himself as well as he could have done, but that's not the only reason he's struggled with the ageing process more than some others.

I think that's doing Ronaldo a disservice. He is at the level he is because of his desire, not genetic luck.

Rooney chooses to drink and smoke. They say a picture speaks a thousand words, so...

View attachment 46526

I'm not claiming it's all genetics.

Evidently Ronaldo is incredibly disciplined in areas that Rooney hasn't been.

But it's also fair to point out that they could have done exactly the same amount of training etc (as they both did at United) and there would be differences because that's simply how it works when it comes to the human body.

It's also fair to point out that Ronaldo has spent the majority of his Madrid career playing in bursts of brilliance.

He's the best at them - I'm not disputing it - and it's a quality in and of itself that he has maintained those levels of brilliance.

I've seen him misplace 10 yard sideways passes, he's very careless in possession

Yeh, a lot of players do it.

Again, I want to point out that I'm not advocating he stays.

I'm just saying it hasn't been the disaster that people claim it to be.

If he stays, sound. If he is moved on then it's absolutely fine as long as we improve in that area.

No, it's both like he said. Ronaldo quite obviously has a better natural physique and fitness level than Rooney (and most other people). It's just the same as a bunch of mates who have similar lifestyles, one can balloon in weight while another never puts a pound on. Rooney certainly hasn't looked after himself as well as he could have done, but that's not the only reason he's struggled with the ageing process more than some others.
No doubt genetics does play a part but he's hardly helped himself has he with the lifestyle he's led, in fact I'm sure one of the fitness coaches at utd did an interview that said as much saying how you couldn't get ronaldo out the gym and he was uber disciplined in his diet whereas Rooney was the complete opposite, barely in the gym and horrible lifestyle outside of football

Don't disagree with that.

But I don't agree with people claiming it has been a disaster, as it simply isn't true.

Without his goals we'd have finished at lot lower than we did/been in a lot more danger than we were.
Taken in abstraction this is true. However, we don't know what we would have done with nearly £8m quid a year in wages had we not signed Rooney. If we hadn't signed Rooney after selling Lukaku then we clearly would have had to sign another forward (I know, I know Rooney isn't a forward now but that was how it was being spun when we signed 0 strikers after selling a consistent 20+ goal a season striker) and we have no idea how that would have gone. Maybe we wouldn't, who knows, last summer was a total basket case in terms of transfer dealings? Maybe we would have gone with DCL, Sandro and a Niasse that Koeman clearly loathed but I find that unlikely. All I'm saying is that Rooney did OK, with the odd exceptional performance, for a few months then fell off a cliff performance wise. It's impossible to know how the season would have gone if we hadn't been shoe-horning him in everywhere and if we had signed somebody else.

No doubt genetics does play a part but he's hardly helped himself has he with the lifestyle he's led, in fact I'm sure one of the fitness coaches at utd did an interview that said as much saying how you couldn't get ronaldo out the gym and he was uber disciplined in his diet whereas Rooney was the complete opposite, barely in the gym and horrible lifestyle outside of football
Totally agree with that, was just taking issue with the idea that Ronaldo's longevity has nothing to do with genetics, because it's definitely a massive thing. I've got mates who were washed up at non league level at 33 despite always looking after themselves. Ronaldo's a bit of a freak to still have the acceleration and spring he's got at that age.

He isn't a striker though, that's the crux of it.

He was brought in without a defined role.

Koeman said in that press conference that he would play as a striker. He was brought in to play as one with what was hoped to be Giroud.

Obviously at that point Koeman didn't know he was going to just roam about the pitch where he felt like and not stay up front.

I hope he stays, if SIlva is as good as some think he will be the team will be much different anyway next season and chances are he will only be a bit part player, besides Moshiri needs to spend this summer and not from player sales, so the 12m isnt really worth it anyway, I hope we keep him

I'm not claiming it's all genetics.

Evidently Ronaldo is incredibly disciplined in areas that Rooney hasn't been.

But it's also fair to point out that they could have done exactly the same amount of training etc (as they both did at United) and there would be differences because that's simply how it works when it comes to the human body.

It's also fair to point out that Ronaldo has spent the majority of his Madrid career playing in bursts of brilliance.

He's the best at them - I'm not disputing it - and it's a quality in and of itself that he has maintained those levels of brilliance.
However, it's quite evident that Rooney has far from kept himself in any form of condition, be that physical or his approach to the game overall.

Therefore for me, the whole issue with comparing the genetics of Ronaldo vs. Rooney is frivolous and deflecting from the real crux of the matter.

I personally know of multiple examples, both in distant and recent times, that suggest his desire to maintain his fitness is questionable at best.

Which in itself brings about questions regarding his desires or overall attitude: if he wanted to succeed, then surely he'd work hard to do so.

Thus while I agree with you that the deal hasn't been a disaster - to say it has is to me unfair - for as mentioned he's contributed important goals..

...w ith hindsight I do feel it'll rightly be judged as perhaps a faux pas because it has been much more beneficial for him, than us a club.

Our highest earner and marque signing (if not Gylfi) has shown little discipline on and off the pitch, and for me that sets an overall poor tone.

I wish him well at DC United if he goes, but I genuinely feel that if we want to progress then we can't be carrying sentimental weights with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back