Who should be starting keeper vs. Sunderland

Howard or Joel as #1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howard has been on a warning letter for 18 months or longer. Some of the goals he has conceded have been bizarre, Grobellar-like. His decline has been clear to all except for the man that matters, RM.

He simply does not boss his six-yard box, has lost that athleticism/confidence that allowed hm to handle crossses, and against LFC was coming out feet first to close down attackers. Sometimes he goes down way too early and other times he can do quite well eg kane at Spurs but overall he is on the way out and should be dropped.

Robles had a good game aaginst Norwich and the job should now be his until/if he screws up; that is how a team should be picked. RM himself cannot make a case for keeping Howard other than waffling about 'standards' because as a keeper Howard is crap.

It does not manner who anyone want's.Tim Howard is bigger than this football club and he will start against Sunderland.Tim might not have been our greatest ever goalkeeper but he is by a long shot our most egotistical and self important keeper.

I see it the opposite way: it'd help RM out on this key decision.

As said earlier, he's giving Howard a chance to turn it around; if he doesn't then he's also gives him enough rope and he has a very simple decision to make.

It is time we had competition between these two GKs, that's my position. But we wont see a satisfactory resolution until we buy another keeper.

But I would have thought that when he was restored the team in February, that THAT would have been his "last chance saloon" moment. How many more last chances is he going to get?

The annoying thing is Howard will have a one great game (Spurs) and that makes him immune to criticism and being dropped for like 10 games. He'll play horrendous for 9 matches then just as we're thinking "hey he could be dropped here" he'll have another blinder.

It's a sick circle of footballing nonsense.

I agree with Doug.
I think with such an inexperienced back four the manager will opt for the experience of Howard. I think I would do the same myself if I were manager.

I say this, even though I thought Robles should have kept his place last season and at the moment believing that he is a better keeper than Howard. I think Robles is going to be an excellent keeper for us over the next number of seasons.

But, with youngsters like Stones and Galloway in defence and Funes Mori still inexperienced in this league I would stay with Howard for the present.
Go to specsavers please!

It's actually smart management to hand Howard back the GK jersey for Sunday.

Martinez knows the pressure is right on Howard now to up his game. There's no hiding place after any poor performance he might put in against Sunderland, as he has the form of Robles to point to in order to drop him on a reasonable footing. Howard simply HAS to perform, and RM knows that in the past he's responded in these situations and put a run of form together. I back him to do exactly that.

The manager has to deal with the politics of a situation - and a GK position is a very tricky one to get right without souring a whole squad. Howard is a huge presence in the dressing room and would need to be have to be seen to have blown a last chance in order for it to sit right with the squad that he should be demoted.

Lastly, let's have it right: Robles is decent, but it's far from a no brainer that he comes in. He's not top notch. That also has to be on RMs mind. And he knows Robles well enough to have his respect if he continues to back Howard over him...for the time being.

In short: it's a bit

more complex than just hooking Howard and promoting Robles.

Whats complex about dropping an ageing out of form goalkeeper?

I really do feel for goalkeepers

you either love them or hate them or feel completely indifferent about them.
OK - I agree one mistake , and it a goal I get that any world class keeper can do that, but Tim Howard at the moment is finding it hard to do the basics right, he cannot control his own six yard box in the air - he looks like a rabbit in the headlights, imo he looks so scared - surely it was not much of a gamble to rest him on Sunday to see if Robles can cope?
he is young more agile a bigger frame his distribution is better for a start- oh and he makes saves with his hands too!

I don't know about the suggestion that RM might give Howard enough rope to hang himself by playing him should his performances still let us down. I cant see any self respecting top level football manager having to be that machiavellian to improve things let alone RM and at a club like ours. If it should be the case, however, I cant see him ever dropping him given his age and contract and RM's previous similar response to Robles playing a blinder then being benched when Howard was medically fit again. It would also indicate that there actually could be a possibility that a player can be bigger than the club. Not here....the second words "off".

I don't know about the suggestion that RM might give Howard enough rope to hang himself by playing him should his performances still let us down. I cant see any self respecting top level football manager having to be that machiavellian to improve things let alone RM and at a club like ours. If it should be the case, however, I cant see him ever dropping him given his age and contract and RM's previous similar response to Robles playing a blinder then being benched when Howard was medically fit again. It would also indicate that there actually could be a possibility that a player can be bigger than the club. Not here....the second words "off".
Occasionally you will see players become if not bigger than the club then pretty much undroppable, it's never healthy, but they are normally at least top class players, this is tim effing howard, at his best he was an average keeper with very obvious weak spots in his game, who struggled to compete with roy carroll

It should be Joel based on Howard's recent poor performances and his performance on Tuesday, although that means absolutely nothing.

I was actually once a person who 'supported' Howard when others openly and sometimes unfairly criticised him; I saw him as the best option.

Even though he had issues with communication and distribution, I perceived him as a good shot stopper. That's certainly changed though!

His distribution is now woeful and communication with his defence is non-existent. I openly cringe when a team has a corner or set-piece in range.

You see the same old things in many a game: flapping at crosses; beaten at the front post; "stuck to his line again". It's become expected.

With regards to saving goals? His one pivotal strength has dwindled away; he'll make the odd 'great' save, but far too often there are soft goals.

After a slow start, Joel made a good showing of himself last season, yet Howard automatically regained his position. It must be so frustrating.

Now when Howard is clearly in poor form Martinez is unable (or simply unwilling) to acknowledge this and make a change that we want and need.

We've seen this before with Barry... arguably McCarthy this season. It is almost embarrassing!

Should ? Robles
Will be ? Howard

Huge amount of pressure on the squad and Martinez this weekend ! Anything less than 3 points vs Sunderland and there will be a huge backlash. We haven't played well ( including the cup tie ) and we've heard endlessly about the first 10 fixtures. Well ... We are through that and the expectation is that we will put some wins together. Heaven forbid Tim flaps a cross into our own net on Sunday

Should ? Robles
Will be ? Howard

Huge amount of pressure on the squad and Martinez this weekend ! Anything less than 3 points vs Sunderland and there will be a huge backlash. We haven't played well ( including the cup tie ) and we've heard endlessly about the first 10 fixtures. Well ... We are through that and the expectation is that we will put some wins together. Heaven forbid Tim flaps a cross into our own net on Sunday
You just know how its going to end with the coward back in goal.
Fat sam will have baldy fletcher going for everything and tim will be shaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back