Who should be starting keeper vs. Sunderland

Howard or Joel as #1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No mate...he was very good in 13/14.

Sadly poor Timmy was slated even when he was breaking all time records for this club.

For some reason (American? Ex United? Half lazy?) he was never accepted or embraced by our supporters. It actually put joy in my heart when he was boss in the 2014 World Cup and Blues actually got behind him.

Everyone loved Howard when he first came in, up until 2010 I thought he was a decent keeper. I just think he's declined from then on and should have been replaced. Nothing to do with his nationality or former club.

But he wasn't completely fit so wasn't played. Easy as that
No it isn't. He was obviously very close to fitness, unless he had a miraculous recovery within 2 days.

His excuse for playing Alcaraz was something along the lines of his experience.

Two quotes from Martinez after last night about Howard

“Tim Howard is a very very influential member of our squad. Nothing changes.
“Of course, we want to be better in terms of keeping clean sheets but it's very easy and soft to look at the last man standing in the goal.

Actually sounds more and more like Martinez is afraid of the influence Howard has in the dressing room to be able to drop him, the word choice is the thing that struck me, not important, not vital - but 'very very influential'

And if Martinez thinks its easy and soft to look at the goalkeeper when you are conceding goals then maybe he should actually try doing that himself, Oh and practise [Poor language removed] set pieces as well, may explain why we keep conceding from them and never score.

His 100% Commitment to defending Howard, Barry at any opportunity when they play poorly, combined with how much he has in the past insisted about the important of Osman and Pienaar just strike me as a manager who hasn't the bals to actually make a hard decision with a senior player unless the player themselves forces the issue (Eto'o and Distin)

As fans and as a manager we both talk about qualifying for the CL as a goal etc, but look at the reality, we are starting a keeper who at his best was decent nothing more and is now 37, right in front of him we are starting a 33 year old cb - still a good one - but one who isn't getting any younger, and right in front of him we are starting a 35 year old in the centrer of mid and the player who is central to the way the team starts everything - supposedly anyway in this system it is...

so right down the core of the spine we have a 37 a 33 and a 35 year old playing, CL your having a laugh

one problem is howard and robles are actually quite similar, both good shot-stoppers, poor with ball at feet and poor at crosses

robles advantage is he is younger and is absolutely massive

No it isn't. He was obviously very close to fitness, unless he had a miraculous recovery within 2 days.

His excuse for playing Alcaraz was something along the lines of his experience.
Not sure if you're being obtuse or just stupid but he was returning from injury, obviously wasn't 100% and so he wasn't rushed in and played instead of Alcaraz who had played well vs. Newcastle.
2 days can make a difference with regards to how ready you are on a fitness level.

Martinez will be playing a dangerous game if (or probably when) he brings Howard back into the team this weekend. If it goes all wrong it could really turn significant sections of the crowd against him in a vocal manner

can see howard starting to get booed soon. only good thing is if he keeps picking him it will eventually cost him his job.

I can't link because I'm quoting Facebook but apparently Martinez has said that there 'is never a doubt' that Howard starts at the weekend.

Exactly the same as when Robles last had a run in the side when Howard was injured, and he done well. Martinez couldn't wait to get Howard back in, saying he's the number one, and as soon is he's able too he will go right back into the side.

Howard is having a stinker of a time, so the logical thing to do would be to take a bit of pressure off him and stick him on the bench for his own good.

Martinez's job is to do what is best for the team, so he needs to grow a set and take a leaf out of Pellegrini's book when he dropped Hart when he was playing crap.

Last edited:
one problem is howard and robles are actually quite similar, both good shot-stoppers, poor with ball at feet and poor at crosses

robles advantage is he is younger and is absolutely massive

and one is also 12 years younger than the other and can work on his weak areas the other one can't.

Also mate would say another thing, I'd rather a keeper came for 10 crosses and missed 2 even if it cost us than a keeper who came for none of them and basically tried to shift the blame onto the cb's by staying glued to his line

One is being brave and putting himself in the situation that if he fails it's seen by everyone, the other option is trying to hide and avoid blame/responsibility, being a goalie is not place for a Coward

I've always thought Tim Howard was a good goalkeeper, maybe not up there with the Cechs of this world but a good solid Premier League GK.

The last season and a half though he just isn't that player any more, he's become a hindrance. I think Joel should have been given a shot before now such have his performances deteriorated. He's become a 1 good game in 5 keeper.

I've always thought Tim Howard was a good goalkeeper, maybe not up there with the Cechs of this world but a good solid Premier League GK.

The last season and a half though he just isn't that player any more, he's become a hindrance. I think Joel should have been given a shot before now such have his performances deteriorated. He's become a 1 good game in 5 keeper.

Truly mate he never was up their, he has always been a pretty average calibre keeper, it's why United shipped him off to us in the first place, he has always been bad at distance from ever since i can remember seeing him play and has never ever been close to dominant of his box, good shot stopper - which is what the highlight MoTd focuses on making it always seem he was better than he was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back