Who should be starting keeper vs. Sunderland

Howard or Joel as #1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No mate...he was very good in 13/14.

Sadly poor Timmy was slated even when he was breaking all time records for this club.

For some reason (American? Ex United? Half lazy?) he was never accepted or embraced by our supporters. It actually put joy in my heart when he was boss in the 2014 World Cup and Blues actually got behind him.

I don't think that's the case at all.

You are perfectly correct in saying 13/14 was a good season for him......his best at EFC IMO.

But I have never felt Timmy was not loved by the fans......quite the reverse, in fact.

The denizens of this forum were as excited as the folks in Boston, NYC or Cleveland as Timmy starred for the States in Brazil

We have embraced all the Americans who have played here.....Joe Max, Brian McBride and Sir Landon all became firm favourites so there is no anti Americanism.

Nor has a player been unpopular simply on the basis of he once played for United.

No, Timmy is out of favour with us these days because he has become a massive liability and we think his understudy deserves a run in the side.

Howard with such a makeshift and unexperienced back four
I agree with Doug.
I think with such an inexperienced back four the manager will opt for the experience of Howard. I think I would do the same myself if I were manager.

I say this, even though I thought Robles should have kept his place last season and at the moment believing that he is a better keeper than Howard. I think Robles is going to be an excellent keeper for us over the next number of seasons.

But, with youngsters like Stones and Galloway in defence and Funes Mori still inexperienced in this league I would stay with Howard for the present.

I agree with Doug.
I think with such an inexperienced back four the manager will opt for the experience of Howard. I think I would do the same myself if I were manager.

I say this, even though I thought Robles should have kept his place last season and at the moment believing that he is a better keeper than Howard. I think Robles is going to be an excellent keeper for us over the next number of seasons.

But, with youngsters like Stones and Galloway in defence and Funes Mori still inexperienced in this league I would stay with Howard for the present.

His 'experience' is getting us nowhere though. He's costing us goals every game but you don't want to change it because Joel does not have that experience even though he is a better keeper?

I agree with Doug.

I am afraid a look at the two goals at Arsenal negate your final paragraph.

Now, you might have a point if we were facing one of the big guns on the weekend but we are not.

Sunderland are total pants and we're flattered in the extreme by that 3-0 defeat of the Barcodes.

If we are ever going to have a suitable game to give Timmy a kick up the rear, this is precisely the tyoe of fixture we need.

As far as Im concerned, Tony Barrett has hit the nail on the head with this from today's Times....

Joel Robles pulls out all stops as Norwich fail in shoot-out

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4598312.ece

"Had it not been for the heroics of Joel Robles, deputising in goal for Tim Howard, Everton would have been left to reflect on a home exit. A string of outstanding saves, none more so than the one that denied Lewis Grabban a winning goal in the final minute of normal time, set the tone for an equally pivotal stop from Hoolahan in the shoot-out. What is Robles’s reward? A place back on the bench when Everton face Sunderland on Sunday. Howard’s position “is not in doubt,” Martínez said."

This is more than another "Moyes playing a poor Neville cos hes captain" situation. As much as people have been aware of Howard's ability in the past, his failings are in the press frequently now and commented on freely by the myriad pundits knocking round. RM needs to revise his thinking on Howard...his inability to offer any command and control of his box is a massive flaw now known to all and the effects of this cannot be overlooked however skewed RM's loyalty to Howard may be. We've got the template for a brilliant future defence with the young players we have playing and coming through, yet what effect will "Norman Wisdom /After You Claude" type goalkeeping have on their confidence ?
We don't generally wear rose-tinted glasses as Evertonians....thank God too. It may be, however, that our manager may need to leave his on the sideboard now regarding Tim Howard - for the team's sake...and perhaps his own.

I don't think even Martinez would give Howard his place back after that.

He can't. He won't dare. Will he?

You not hear his post match interview mate?

But Martinez said: “No, no. It's very clear (Tim will come back in).

“Joel has been playing in this competition and I trust him 100%.

“Tim Howard is a very very influential member of our squad. Nothing changes.

“Of course, we want to be better in terms of keeping clean sheets but it's very easy and soft to look at the last man standing in the goal.

You not hear his post match interview mate?

But Martinez said: “No, no. It's very clear (Tim will come back in).

“Joel has been playing in this competition and I trust him 100%.

“Tim Howard is a very very influential member of our squad. Nothing changes.

“Of course, we want to be better in terms of keeping clean sheets but it's very easy and soft to look at the last man standing in the goal.
That last bit is fair BUT not when goals have been down to keeper error.

It's actually smart management to hand Howard back the GK jersey for Sunday.

Martinez knows the pressure is right on Howard now to up his game. There's no hiding place after any poor performance he might put in against Sunderland, as he has the form of Robles to point to in order to drop him on a reasonable footing. Howard simply HAS to perform, and RM knows that in the past he's responded in these situations and put a run of form together. I back him to do exactly that.

The manager has to deal with the politics of a situation - and a GK position is a very tricky one to get right without souring a whole squad. Howard is a huge presence in the dressing room and would need to be have to be seen to have blown a last chance in order for it to sit right with the squad that he should be demoted.

Lastly, let's have it right: Robles is decent, but it's far from a no brainer that he comes in. He's not top notch. That also has to be on RMs mind. And he knows Robles well enough to have his respect if he continues to back Howard over him...for the time being.

In short: it's a bit more complex than just hooking Howard and promoting Robles.

Not sure if you're being obtuse or just stupid but he was returning from injury, obviously wasn't 100% and so he wasn't rushed in and played instead of Alcaraz who had played well vs. Newcastle.
2 days can make a difference with regards to how ready you are on a fitness level.
If Alcaraz had of got an injury within the first minute, then who would have been brought in to replace him?

He was at a level that could cope with the match, otherwise he wouldn't have been selected at all.

That last bit is fair BUT not when goals have been down to keeper error.

I think it's just a easy opt out from laying blame and maybe having to confront a senior player which he looks loathe to do (cojones issue maybe), Using his logic a goalscorer shouldn't be given the full credit for scoring either - but yet Naismith became undroppable after Chelsea - yet Howard will retain his place - makes absolutely no sense

It's actually smart management to hand Howard back the GK jersey for Sunday.

Martinez knows the pressure is right on Howard now to up his game. There's no hiding place after any poor performance he might put in against Sunderland as he has the form of Robles to point to in order to drop him on a reasonable footing. Howard simply HAS to perform, and RM knows that in the past he's responded in these situations and put a run of form together. I back him to do exactly that.

The manager has to deal with the politics of a situation - and a GK position is a very tricky one to get right without souring a whole squad. Howard is a huge presence in the dressing room and would need to be have to be seen to have blown a last chance in order for it to sit right with the squad that he should be demoted.

Lastly, let's have it right: Robles is decent, but it's far from a no brainer that he comes in. He's not top notch. That also has to be on RMs mind. And he knows Robles well enough to have his respect if he continues to back Howard over him...for the time being.

In short: it's a bit more complex than just hooking Howard and promoting Robles.

Dave i agree with you on a lot of things but not this one, look at the sqauds body language on the pitch with Howard and with Robles - think the squad is already soured with the decision to stay with him

Will you think it's smart management should Howard make bad errors against Sunderland that give them the win mate? or Say he makes a mistake but the team bail him out with a 2-1 or something, eventually a manager has to show he has a pair of balls and no player comes before the good of the club, right now Martinez is being as brave as Howard is on any cross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back