Who should be starting keeper vs. Sunderland

Howard or Joel as #1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It can't help Robles confidence though to put in that sort of performance and get dropped straight back down to the bench

If that sort of performance can't get him another start, he'll have to be wondering what will
It's a funny one: the professional relationship Robles has with Martinez is strong and can withstand all this.

Did somebody say Big Boss?

Metal_Gear_Solid__Ground_Zeroes_13472862644959.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I agree with Doug.
I think with such an inexperienced back four the manager will opt for the experience of Howard. I think I would do the same myself if I were manager.

I say this, even though I thought Robles should have kept his place last season and at the moment believing that he is a better keeper than Howard. I think Robles is going to be an excellent keeper for us over the next number of seasons.

But, with youngsters like Stones and Galloway in defence and Funes Mori still inexperienced in this league I would stay with Howard for the present.

as opposed to robles who got MOM with browining, stones, mori and oviedo,

followed by a clean sheet with stones, gibson, mori and oviedo?

how good was howard again with pretty much our first choice back 4 v arsenal?

copy and paste. the argument doesn't add up. he was a liability last season with a first choice back 4.

Howard's performance's have gotten to the point where he is more hindrance than help.
Experience and long standing service notwithstanding, he is no longer good enough and has cost us far more points than he has saved over the last season and a half.

I'm not entirely convinced that Joel is the answer, indeed I think he too has flaws to his game.
However it has gotten to the point where Joel cannot realistically be much worse than Howard, and so he should be given a chance to make the spot his where Howard has failed. What do we have to lose by giving Joel a go that we wouldn't already lose through an error-ridden and confidence bereft Howard.

Martinez will probably bring Howard back into the team, but I cannot help feeling like he's making a massive mistake. Joel deserves a chance surely, certainly after that performance he could have done nothing more to put his name forward for selection.
Goalkeeper is a priority position, need someone of quality to come in either in January or in the summer to replace Howard.

I'm not entirely convinced that Joel is the answer, indeed I think he too has flaws to his game.
However it has gotten to the point where Joel cannot realistically be much worse than Howard, and so he should be given a chance to make the spot his where Howard has failed. What do we have to lose by giving Joel a go that we wouldn't already lose through an error-ridden and confidence bereft Howard.
I still don't understand this idea that we couldn't be any worse than we have been with Howard. He's conceded 13 goals in 10 matches and has more saves than all but two other Premier League keepers. Yeah, a lot of those goals have been pretty ugly and his form has clearly been going downhill in the last few matches, but the idea that nothing could be worse just doesn't match reality.

I still don't understand this idea that we couldn't be any worse than we have been with Howard. He's conceded 13 goals in 10 matches and has more saves than all but two other Premier League keepers. Yeah, a lot of those goals have been pretty ugly and his form has clearly been going downhill in the last few matches, but the idea that nothing could be worse just doesn't match reality.
How many saves of those would you not expect him to make though mate?
He cannot command his area which has been costing us dearly, surely it's time to try someone else.

... look at the sqauds body language on the pitch with Howard and with Robles - think the squad is already soured with the decision to stay with him

This is the worry for me with Howard. The icy glares and words he's been getting from the likes of Stones, Jagielka and Galloway over the last few weeks don't fill me with confidence.

To be fair, there were a few times last night where the likes of Gibson were plainly not happy with Robles not coming out to collect, but at least they might feel like Joel will improve.

Big game for Howard on Sunday. If he makes a mistake leading to a goal or just stays on his line for crosses making it easier for strikers he's going to be pilloried.

We'll see. Personally I think it's a matter of RM orchestrating this in the right sequence. He has a squad of first team players he has to oversee and he'll know the strength of feeling about Howard in the dressing room.

I think RM will give Howard enough rope and let him underline just why things cant go on with him in goal. He has to do it that way with a senior pro in order to keep the peace. That's professional football politics.

What are you implying here, Dave?

That Bobby is afraid to drop Howard for fear of offending some of the players?

If so, we can't have a manager paralysed by fear in that fashion.

Not that I think Bobby would operate like that.....Disdin was a massively influential and popular figure in the dressing room but Bobby showed him who was boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back