Who should be starting keeper vs. Sunderland

Howard or Joel as #1

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been trying to figure out for awhile if Pantilimon is good or just even more massive than Joel so he makes the goal look small.

I still dont have any clue honestly.

The test is seeing how he does with Big Sam calling the shots

Did well when Pellegrini was in charge at Man City and a lot of City fans I know thought highly of him

If he does well at Sunderland with a decent manager at the helm, I think that will be the casting vote on his abilities

This is the worry for me with Howard. The icy glares and words he's been getting from the likes of Stones, Jagielka and Galloway over the last few weeks don't fill me with confidence.

To be fair, there were a few times last night where the likes of Gibson were plainly not happy with Robles not coming out to collect, but at least they might feel like Joel will improve.

Big game for Howard on Sunday. If he makes a mistake leading to a goal or just stays on his line for crosses making it easier for strikers he's going to be pilloried.

Can't remember what Robles was like at Wigan on coming for crosses, but if it changed after he arrived here wondering if it's more down to working with Howard rather than our coaches.

All in all think the entire team has had enough of keeper errors, really noticeable with Stones against Arsenal on both goals with the way he reacted towards Howard, the pressure it puts on a back 4 knowing that you have to play a perfect game with no error at all because if there is one it will be punished 100% must be immense, and right now if a defender makes a minor error there's no chance Howard is bailing them out rather the opposite is happening

This is the worry for me with Howard. The icy glares and words he's been getting from the likes of Stones, Jagielka and Galloway over the last few weeks don't fill me with confidence.

To be fair, there were a few times last night where the likes of Gibson were plainly not happy with Robles not coming out to collect, but at least they might feel like Joel will improve.

Big game for Howard on Sunday. If he makes a mistake leading to a goal or just stays on his line for crosses making it easier for strikers he's going to be pilloried.

Can't remember what Robles was like at Wigan on coming for crosses, but if it changed after he arrived here wondering if it's more down to working with Howard rather than our coaches.

All in all think the entire team has had enough of keeper errors, really noticeable with Stones against Arsenal on both goals with the way he reacted towards Howard, the pressure it puts on a back 4 knowing that you have to play a perfect game with no error at all because if there is one it will be punished 100% must be immense, and right now if a defender makes a minor error there's no chance Howard is bailing them out rather the opposite is happening

His 'experience' is getting us nowhere though. He's costing us goals every game but you don't want to change it because Joel does not have that experience even though he is a better keeper?
SD.
I know you are right in many ways, but I think Robles should have been getting more game time before this. I thought he should have been kept in the team last year.

But, drop Howard and play Robles and things go badly for him , it could destroy his career.
I just think that with Baines and Jagielka missing that now is not the right time to bring in a novice keeper.

SD.
I know you are right in many ways, but I think Robles should have been getting more game time before this. I thought he should have been kept in the team last year.

But, drop Howard and play Robles and things go badly for him , it could destroy his career.
I just think that with Baines and Jagielka missing that now is not the right time to bring in a novice keeper.
Or it could be the making of him.

One things for sure, couldnt be as bad as starjumps and the defence couldnt be anymore unsure like they are with tim

No Dave, it's not.

Howard had been terrible this season.

It is beyond doubt that ge has cost us precious points.

Hook him and give the other lad a chance.
That's not true. He played well against Spurs and pretty much earned us the point at WHL, and he's played ok in other games. It's not black and white.

I'm all for demoting him, but you're creating a caricature of him and his input this season. He's had a lot of howlers, but we've been doing well as a team until the last two league games and you really dont change that around too much.

To read the thoughts of some on this issue you'd think we'd been beaten every week with Howard throwing the ball into the net and Martinez is blind to it all.

It is IN FACT a lot more complex than hooking Howard. It has been until this point anyway, but if he lets the side down on Sunday there'll be no alternative to benching him from that point.

What are you implying here, Dave?
That Bobby is afraid to drop Howard for fear of offending some of the players?
If so, we can't have a manager paralysed by fear in that fashion.

Not that I think Bobby would operate like that.....Disdin was a massively influential and popular figure in the dressing room but Bobby showed him who was boss.

Exactly, it's not fear of making a tough decision. As you point out, he makes those calls. Distin is a good example of what I'm driving at too. By all accounts he was a divisive figure. You cant lay that at TH's door. He seems genuinely respected by all the squad and has, by and large, done a decent job here at Everton since he arrived. A manager has to be respectful of that and give him (what I believe will be) a last chance to get back on track.

It's being judicious and the sign of good man management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back