Who should replace Frank Lampard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our squad is massively under performing with Lampard at the helm.
I've been wondering about this, and I guess this is the point as to whether he needs to be replaced or not. I think I agree with you, but just to play devils advocate here, which of our players do you think would make it into other teams? I guess Pickford, maybe a fit DCL. Onana? Would he replace what teams already have?

Nuts and bolts are everyone likes Frank, everyone wants/wanted him to succeed it’s a long time since there has been this amount of good will around a manager, even if he goes I think he will be thought of well.

Away from sentiment though and it’s a ruthless game, I feel he’s a victim of his own stubbornness. He wants to play the game a certain way - that’s fine, as a manger that’s your prerogative, he wants a pocession based game playing through the lines. Problem is if you implement your philosophy and the results don’t come, you are in trouble and that’s what has happened, he is arguably part of the problem.

He hasn’t recognised the quality of player isn’t at the club to implement his philosphey. I also think he’s had the benefit of very low fan expectations this season, we all would have been content to stay 4-6 points above the relegation zone this season, with performances that look competitive and a sense of building - that hasn’t been the case since Fulham away.

You have a choice as a manger then, you either adjust your philosophy and play the percentages or pragmatically like Spurs onward last season or you die on your sword. He’s very close to the latter, he’s running out of chances.

If he goes he’s partly responsible to my mind, either through stubbornness or naivety. Sure, luck and recruitment come into it, but that’s a universal thing for everyone in the league and calls on your skills as a manager.

If he goes it’s not personal, but the institution needs protecting and given every chance at all costs.

Last edited:
I've been wondering about this, and I guess this is the point as to whether he needs to be replaced or not. I think I agree with you, but just to play devils advocate here, which of our players do you think would make it into other teams? I guess Pickford, maybe a fit Dominic Calvert-Lewin. Onana? Would he replace what teams already have?

Quite a few of the first 11 are full starting internationals for their nations. Pickford, Myko, Patterson, Iwobi, Gueye, Onana. Coady and Tarks have been capped for England and DCL when fit was always in the squad.

I've been wondering about this, and I guess this is the point as to whether he needs to be replaced or not. I think I agree with you, but just to play devils advocate here, which of our players do you think would make it into other teams? I guess Pickford, maybe a fit Dominic Calvert-Lewin. Onana? Would he replace what teams already have?
Our team is better than what we are seeing, it is just not being played to their strengths, that comes down to the manager.... let me explain what I mean.

Man City - 5-2-3 Low Block, good performance defensively and won a point.
Brighton - 4-3-3 High Press, ripped to pieces.
Man Utd - 5-2-3 Low Block which as the game went on we were able to get higher of the pitch to more of a mid block.

I don`t think the formation matters all that much but more the style in which we employ within that system.

My belief, from what I`ve seen, is a 4-2-3-1 with a mid block to be our strongest system. A double pivot of Onana and Gueye with Iwobi or Maupay in the 10... Just my opinion.

Quite a few of the first 11 are full starting internationals for their nations. Pickford, Myko, Patterson, Iwobi, Gueye, Onana. Coady and Tarks have been capped for England and Dominic Calvert-Lewin when fit was always in the squad.
Very true, but really, would Gana get into most PL teams? Iwobi? I can't really see Myko getting in ahead of many left backs in the league. I really do agree that we are not getting above the sum of all of the parts of team. There isn't much of a plan, especially against the less good teams. But there is a nagging part of me that wonders whether actually we don't have the players anyway

I don’t mind Dyche, he’s a good football manger, he knows the game, good man manger, knows the league and can set up a team. He built a club at Burnley, I really admire that in fact it’s one of the thing that I respect most in managers. On a personal level I like the lid.

He’s pragmatic, he doesn’t moan, he backs his players in public and rockets them away from the cameras, he can work on recruitment in limits without winging, he won’t suffer fools. He ticks a hell of a lot of boxes.

It’s like this for me, there have been arguably two to three managers who have built clubs from the lower leagues to make them competitive in the PL, Howe is one, Dyche is the other - we see what Howe has done at Newcastle, we all would have turned our noses up at him and did when we appointed the FSW, if we were to go for Dyche I’d expect there to be a section of our support who would do likewise, but I think it could be a canny appointment, I think he’s earned a shot at a club like us and we’re not that attractive at the moment, we have our history and size going for us.

Any manager is screwed with this squad and it's attacking options
Funny how the same poor squad 'did well' Vs both City & United...no wins obvs, but, for a given value of 'did well' slightly better performances.
Stick with that (or slight variations) of that 'tight' formation for All Games, Home and Away and see how it goes.
But that's up to Lampard...depends if he wants the sack or not...but he needs to find a better points per game average.

Edit; And get in at leasta semi decent No.9

Last edited:

I think our squad is massively under performing with Lampard at the helm.
I don't think the idea that he is getting all that can be got out of them stands up. I mean, are we really saying that there isn't a manager in the world who could do a bit better than Frank has? If so, we're basically claiming he is the best manager in the world.

By the same token, I do think we have to have a reckoning about the real standard of the squad. As a fanbase, we are notoriously deluded about the quality of many of our players. We are so starved of real quality, we hype mediocrity (Iwobi, Godfrey, Holgate were all the next best thing at one deluded point or another). The bitter truth is that the vast majority of the squad could be sold tomorrow and really wouldn't be missed. We have a squad of journeymen who never reach a positive destination.

I maintain that a better manager than Lampard - and there are many - would eke out a few more points than him over the long haul of a season - and it is those few points that will be the difference between staying up comfortably and a nerve-shredding battle with the drop - or worse.

In the end, if we do drop this season, it might be that we drop by only those few points. Nobody will tell me another man couldn't have earned those few extras to make a difference.

Nuts and bolts are everyone likes Frank, everyone wants/wanted him to succeed it’s a long time since there has been this amount of good will around a manager, even if he goes I think he will be thought of well.

Away from sentiment though and it’s a ruthless game, I feel he’s a victim of his own stubbornness. He wants to play the game a certain way - that’s fine, as a manger that’s your prerogative, he wants a pocession based game playing through the lines. Problem is if you implement your philosophy and the results don’t come, you are in trouble and that’s what has happened, he is arguably part of the problem.

He hasn’t recognised the quality of player isn’t at the club to implement his philosphey. I also think he’s had the benefit of very low fan expectations this season, we all would have been content to stay 4-6 points above the relegation zone this season, with performances that look competitive and a sense of building - that hasn’t been the case since Fulham away.

You have a choice as a manger then, you either adjust your philosophy and play the percentages or pragmatically like Spurs onward last season or you die on your sword. He’s very close to the latter, he’s running out of chances.

If he goes he’s partly responsible to my mind, either through stubbornness or naivety. Sure, luck and recruitment come into it, but that’s a universal thing for everyone in the league and calls on your skills as a manager.

If he goes it’s not personal, but the institution needs protecting and given every chance at all costs.
I agree with a lot of this, he has been inflexible this season. Last season he showed some willingness to adapt, ironically moving away from 3 at the back and passing out from the back to play more direct. I think now most people are in agreement he needs to move to a 3 at the back- we have the players now to fit that system. Based on the City and United games there's been enough semblance of organisation to show that will make us harder to break down and still offer an attacking threat, which gives me a little bit of hope that we could still ground out some wins to get to safety. If he doesn't do that then he must surely be sacked.

I think the options in this poll are very limited and while I think the club has a blinkered view on all aspects of recruitment we should be hoping for a bit of a more in depth view from the club.

For example, maybe it’s my ignorance but I’d never heard of De zerbi at Brighton but look what he is doing there and it’s not like Sassuolo are high flying in Italy.

For that reason, perhaps we should be looking at the coaches of Torino, Fiorentina etc. having looked up their history, they have both done well in relegation fights with lesser players.

I don’t know enough about these two to say we should get them but the staff at the club are paid to research this type of potential replacement instead of just pushing the Dyche/Allardyce panic button

Our team is better than what we are seeing, it is just not being played to their strengths, that comes down to the manager.... let me explain what I mean.

Man City - 5-2-3 Low Block, good performance defensively and won a point.
Brighton - 4-3-3 High Press, ripped to pieces.
Man Utd - 5-2-3 Low Block which as the game went on we were able to get higher of the pitch to more of a mid block.

I don`t think the formation matters all that much but more the style in which we employ within that system.

My belief, from what I`ve seen, is a 4-2-3-1 with a mid block to be our strongest system. A double pivot of Onana and Gueye with Iwobi or Maupay in the 10... Just my opinion.
Our choice of names may differ, but the general gist is sound...ish.

Over to you Frank...if you last long enough.

A good assessment this. I like Lampard, but his naivity regarding tactics is shining through unfortunately. If the club had any sort of drive or ambition in the boardroom, he should have been relieved of his duties after the Bournemouth debacle, giving the club time to bed in a replacement and plan for January. Of course in true Everton fashion, they did stuff all, hoping things might get better. Sir John Moores must be spinning in his grave at how low the standards of this club have plummeted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back