Who's your money on in the takeover 'battle'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any money leaving any sanctioned company or individual needs to go through a sign off and agreement by the country issuing the sanction eg x amount from this 1 account only etc.

His assets were seized and I'm sure he's not the most reputable individual that the government felt like making compromises or favours just to fund a football club.

Then there a money laundering issue getting his money out the country under sanctions...

Are all his holdings in sanctioned companies - that’s a big presumption. He sold some of his stock in USM didn’t he.

Any money leaving any sanctioned company or individual needs to go through a sign off and agreement by the country issuing the sanction eg x amount from this 1 account only etc.

His assets were seized and I'm sure he's not the most reputable individual that the government felt like making compromises or favours just to fund a football club.

Then there a money laundering issue getting his money out the country under sanctions...

Indeed.

I mean, Usmanov's sister just lost her appeal against sanctions.

Imagine the scrutiny on his business partner/accountant Moshiri.

*Cough: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nces-of-everton-fc-owner-guardian-understands

**Cough: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/26/everton-fc-owner-alisher-usmanov-farhad-moshiri

Sorry mate. Don’t agree.

His assets are diversified and he can even use them as security, he’s not paddling in Monaco in a dingy. As we know he has companies and real states and stakes in Wetern Europe and the U.K.

No, he went on social media, widely reported in the mainstream media and told us he could build the stadium tomorrow if he wanted to - his words.

Two things form that that’s not someone who is keeping their head down to dodge a sanction.

Secondly if you are feeling your leg when you have your hand in your pocket, you are keeping your mouth shut - I mean wasn’t exactly a hard hitting interview by Jazz Bell, he wasn’t I the room.

I repeat he’s not sanctioned, his wealth shouldn’t be altered bar a share fluctuation, in estimates this year he’s worth more then he took over Everton - surely activating Moshiri was finding a way.

Overall I don’t see any evidence these lads got unlucky with Ukraine, they’ve painted themselves into a corner and did long before Ukraine happened.

He's said a bunch of things in the media. Why anyone would believe him at this point is beyond me.

It's clear, even before 777, that he didn't have cash for the club. It's the only reason he spoke with MSP, and then 777.

He's said a bunch of things in the media. Why anyone would believe him at this point is beyond me.

It's clear, even before 777, that he didn't have cash for the club. It's the only reason he spoke with MSP, and then 777.

Clearly no one does - but the lads saying you can’t believe a word he says - are the ones trusting him and others to have “found a way”.

* Shrugs!

What does that change mate, planning permission was granted in March 2021, Russian invasion was in Feb 22. Where is the 200 mill?

It didn't happen because Russia's war prevented it because the person who was providing that £200m was sanctioned, and the club couldn't take money from the Russian company who'd sponsor the stadium.

Everton Stadium was becoming USM Arena in 2022. I provided proof of that, and the club - even the likes of Alan Myers have now confirmed it.

You said we wouldn't have got that money until the stadium was opened.

I've told you that's not the case, I've explained why and I've provided coverage which reaffirmed that point. Everton even put it in their own appeal.

If you think Russia's war didn't significantly impact Everton, then fair enough. I disagree. I think we'd have bridged the £19.5m breach with sponsorship.

It didn't happen because Russia's war prevented it because the person who was providing that £200m was sanctioned, and the club couldn't take money from the Russian company who'd sponsor the stadium.

Everton Stadium was becoming USM Arena in 2022. I provided proof of that, and the club - even the likes of Alan Myers have now confirmed it.

I've told you that's not the case, I've explained why and I've provided coverage which reaffirmed that point. Everton even put it in their own appeal.

If you think Russia's war didn't significantly impact Everton, then fair enough. I disagree. I think we'd have bridged the £19.5m breach with sponsorship.

If the club was properly run and generated money and didn’t rely on dole-outs from the shadowy owner who we weren’t allowed to acknowledge had any involvement in the club, we wouldn’t have breached either.

Are all his holdings in sanctioned companies - that’s a big presumption. He sold some of his stock in USM didn’t he.

He'd still have to justify where funds were from and how much.

If he had a pot of money unassociated with any of his businesses in an account in Guernsey, he'd still have to go to the UK government and explain how this has zero links to any of his assets...and even then hed only be able to transfer agreed amounts and nothing close to being able to keep another UK business running (ie Everton).

Had to deal with these things in my job is how I know how it works

If the club was properly run and made money and didn’t rely on dole-outs from the shadowy owner who we weren’t allowed to acknowledge had any involvement in the club, we wouldn’t have breached either.

Aye, no doubt.

As I've said but the sticking plaster they were banking on was removed. Definitely an element of 'Everton, that'. Schalke had a similar problem to us.

In my own opinion - Usmanov would have formally come on board eventually - after the stadium was built, and named. He bought Moshiri's shares to allow a quick acquisition of Everton and he was always going to sell them shares at Arsenal, and eventually come to Everton. It just 'made sense' to do it as a sponsor first.

Aye, no doubt.

As I've said but the sticking plaster they were banking on was removed. Definitely an element of 'Everton, that'. Schalke had a similar problem to us.

In my own opinion - Usmanov would have formally come on board eventually - after the stadium was built, and named. He bought Moshiri's shares to allow a quick acquisition of Everton and he was always going to sell them shares at Arsenal, and eventually come to Everton. It just 'made sense' to do it as a sponsor first.

Acknowledging Usmanov’s involvement with us would’ve had terrible consequences as it was 100% illegal in the first place. He still owned a 25% stake in Arsenal for the first two years he was bankrolling us. It’s why we had to pretend Moshiri was our real owner and benefactor when the sanctions rolled in, and couldn’t force a sale like they did with Abramovich.

That's very speculative mate. I mean its a projected alternate reality.

They aren't coming in dropping 350 mill, agree a senior debt package then going to run up a load of short terms losses like Moshiri. Just makes no sense.

You also assume that they lack the capital, the latest is they may have third party investment in addition to a debt package to meet the funding requirement to restructure the debt and provide the club with equity.

We need to seek a different model, we need to look at Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham, that should be our pathway.

As i said earlier we need some investment but a lot more competency and the only game in town for us is a self sustainable model.

Forget about rich owners, its fools gold.
Of course this is all hyperbole and hypotheticals but this is my concern. If I have a friend who with another friend are seeking to buy a small business that is going to cost them a price that's equal to half of both their assets, regardless if a loan is taking a considerable slice of that I would tell them thats its likely a mistake. Of course that could be calmed to what degree a 3rd party is involved, but that completely changes the calculus as for it to make sense I'd argue that person or group should likely be bringing the largest amount of cash in the purchase for it to make financial sense. Thus the scrutiny falls on that individual more so than the credibility of Bell Downing.

All caveats aside if we go with Bell Downing we are talking about having the least cash rich owners in the first division. Of course that could be fine, maybe they demonstrate themselves to be able to run one of the most cost efficient clubs, but it's a worthy concern regardless if they can secure outward money.

I dont disagree with the clubs you mention as exemplary, but the resources at their disposal do completely change their decision making regardless if their largely self sustaining. The Kroenkes are collectively on the cusp of being in the 100 richest people in the world. West Ham have multiple partners with their two main shareholders worth collectively more than 10 billion. Spurs are more akin but also Levy runs maybe the most efficient financial balance operation regardless of his faults in the EPL. And even so they would have 6 times the amount we do between him and Joe Lewis.

These are all just possible concerns, but in the inverse what are we gaining from B/D besides local knowledge. Neither have owned football assets, neither I would say are likely to dramatically come into more wealth. Of course they can praise a level of business acumen, but all of these people can to a degree. When judged to a point of comparison I dont know why I would defend their interest if they are mainly the sole party as first choice removed of being Scousers.

Last edited:

Hang on now mate, you are moving deck charis around - you provided evidance stated by the club in a PL tribunal stating on planning permission, the money would be granted - it wasnt. Now you are saying it was always 2022 because you received marketing in your emails, your moving the goalposts all over the show - either way we dont have 200 mill, no naming rights (before or after a build) and are skip fire.

But holes all over this argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back