Who's your money on in the takeover 'battle'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noel Gallagher quoted this morning :

“When I explain it to Sonny, my youngest lad, I think the perfect analogy is: ‘If you want to know what it used to be like, look at Everton’,” Gallagher began.

“If City hadn’t been bought by Sheikh Mansour, it would have been takeover after takeover, all sorts of f***wits coming in, failure and broken promises.

“I look at Everton at the bottom of the league, points deductions, and I think: ‘There but for the grace of God go us’. Because that would have been us, or possibly even worse.”

….i don’t compare us to them, we have struggled in our bad times but maintained our proud status in the top flight. City dropped like a stone, it’s amazing what we’ve so far managed through adversity.

My fear is as Evertonians - who aren’t loaded - they are more likely to say
“You’ve had good times” be satisfied with being mid table Everton.
Or “Everton that” even.
I’d rather the club be driven by someone who doesn’t know these supposed limitations and wants to make us something better.

Don't entirely agree. You're basing that on our last Evertonian owner who was an actor and theatre producer who's wealth came from the arts. The business side of the club is was awful at. The heart and how he cared for the club was how he ran it.

Bell and Downing are the complete opposite end from a business point of view

So do we really need Evertonians as owners?

Serious question, and I’m neither pro nor anti AJ Bell, I’m just glad we have interested parties galore.

Bill Kenwright was a blue and ultimately I feel it hindered things. On the other hand he knew the club inside out.
Like toffeeblue9 said, we don't need Evertonians as owners. It would be reassuring to know there was some genuine love for the club at the top, but it's definitely not a prerequisite. Ultimately, if the Bell/Downing bid needs more backing, I just see it as an easier route for the club to reduce its debt if they partner up with MSP and both their loans turn into equity. If anyone else comes in they will have these loans to deal with on top of the purchase.

Don't entirely agree. You're basing that on our last Evertonian owner who was an actor and theatre producer who's wealth came from the arts. The business side of the club is was awful at. The heart and how he cared for the club was how he ran it.

Bell and Downing are the complete opposite end from a business point of view
I’m also basing it on the culture of people happy to go along with it. Maybe because that’s what we’ve known for the last 30 years.
Would be great to have a fresh start with an already successful ambitious person/team who see Everton as a chance to achieve very high goals.

So do we really need Evertonians as owners?

Serious question, and I’m neither pro nor anti AJ Bell, I’m just glad we have interested parties galore.

Bill Kenwright was a blue and ultimately I feel it hindered things. On the other hand he knew the club inside out.
I would be happier with owners who know the club rather than consortiums and venture capitalists who are trying to flip us for profit. Ultimately it comes down to who gives Moshiri what he's after, there are bound to be interested parties that feel they can get a PL club at a relatively knock down price but the owner won't do that until its absoutely his last hand, it remains to be seen whether we are there yet.

I’m also basing it on the culture of people happy to go along with it. Maybe because that’s what we’ve known for the last 30 years.
Would be great to have a fresh start with an already successful ambitious person/team who see Everton as a chance to achieve very high goals.
I'm not sure they had a choice if they wanted to keep their jobs, however regardless of who comes in there still needs to be a good clear out of people in the background, there are too many who have been there too long and its time for some fresh faces/names.

I would be happier with owners who know the club rather than consortiums and venture capitalists who are trying to flip us for profit. Ultimately it comes down to who gives Moshiri what he's after, there are bound to be interested parties that feel they can get a PL club at a relatively knock down price but the owner won't do that until its absoutely his last hand, it remains to be seen whether we are there yet.
That's why the initial plan of Bell/Downing + MSP was pretty much the dream ticket (outside of some filthy state ownership)

Successful Evertonians within their own industries and the expanded knowledge and contacts MSP have grown over the years. It's quite disappointing that something has forced them apart.

Bell and Downing are also the only hope for the Goodison Legacy project. I appreciate it's not really top priority but to abandon an already depressed corner of the city that's been our home for over 130 years would be pure Tory Kopite.

I’m not sure it is Mosh who is really selling the club, it’ll probably be his Russian overlord deciding what is done (hopefully)

I’d rather anyone coming in doesn’t have a misty eyed Evertonian view of things.

First and foremost, we need someone to come in who will make us a sustainable business. Hard nosed decisions will likely need to be made. I don’t want any important aspects hinging on sentimentality.

Not to say both things can’t co-exist. But any prospective Evertonian owner will need to put their feelings to one side.

Hi All

Haven't been following the takeover talks too closely, but if I may just question.

If we do manage to conclude the takeover, does that mean we still have to sell Branthwaite, DCL, Onana?

Thank You

Indeed and again this isn’t an anti Bell/Downing message.

We have to be hard nosed, or rather Moshiri does, and get the best deal for the club, sentiment shouldn’t come in to it.

We must retain stadium ownership also.
Ideally Moshiri should obtain the best deal for the club. Moshiri when it comes down to business actually has to get the best deal for himself, even if that means dropping us in the mire as he saunters off into the sunset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back