Who's your money on in the takeover 'battle'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying any of the options are good, I'm saying Bell and Downing are probably the least worst option as they won't want a dividend from the club. If the Esk is involved with them that's annoying and shows poor judgement, but you'd hope they'll put proper fan representation on the board if they take over, rather than a self proclaimed expert.

All of that of course is total guesswork.

So far they dont seem to have any viable plan if they idea is to simply borrow money from a firm who's name they pushed as a "backer" -- hopefully they arent as useless and shady as they have come across so far.

The first thing I though when I heard the news about Bell and Downing being backed by Dell was, what does that mean. Is Dell involved as owner or not. What does 'backed by' even mean?

While I fully expect the clickbait from the likes of SportsBible and dramatic 2+2=5 from the Daily Mail, I'm surprised by that Kovehal guy on SSN giving it the whole 9 yards about Dell being involved and how transformative it could be.

Yes the Michael Dell link is one thing.

The DFO is another thing

MSD are a third separate thing.

Esk mentioned "MSD have SPORTS MANAGEMENT EXPERTISE"

It seems like a Goebbels type misinformation campaign has been launched.

This is the only reason there's plenty of interest, naming rights and sponsorship around the ground alone open up 10s of millions that we never had before, other events will bring in some decent wedge too, matchday income will go up a fair bit.. Dell industries stadium at bramley Moore for 20 million a year.
Yeah but this is exactly what is not allowed. Businesses with financial input in the club cannot themselves then award themselves/club with inflated naming rights. This is exactly what man city are going through at moment and taking on the PL over.

Think this is why usmanov stayed away from being direcrly involved in the club by being a massive sponsor.

Yes the Michael Dell link is one thing.

The DFO is another thing

MSD are a third separate thing.

Esk mentioned "MSD have SPORTS MANAGEMENT EXPERTISE"

It seems like a Goebbels type misinformation campaign has been launched.
Are you seriously conflating a notorious Nazi propaganda minister with people involved in buying a football club ?
Distasteful.

Had to laugh on the Esk podcast just released. He said something along lines of ‘moshiri knows how I feel about him.’

Pretty funny a multi billionaire in Monaco having sleepless nights about some dude on the net.

I’m not sure he’d know who he is or give a monkeys.

Why does there seem to be more interest in buying us this time?

Several different reasons. Firstly the ones to do with the stadium, it now being something you can really see and feel the potential with, that helps visually pull in the buyers and because it is almost complete it limits the risks of other factors becoming huge problems. Say LoR went bust 8 or 9 months ago, another builder might want to charge hundreds of millions more to finish it. It's also closer to bring able to generate money instead of being 2 years away.

After that you can throw in that we have been more stable this last year compared to previous, where we couldn't keep a manager for two minutes, the protests and constant bad news. It just seemed like a powder keg you wouldn't really want to sink your money into. Generally everyone has been pulling in same direction recently and getting rid of the two charges in one season now allows us to go forward knowing we shouldn't be hit as hard again. For any prospective buyer that should be comforting given we have better chances of staying a PL club.

It helps Moshiri probably wants a bit less money this time around too.

11% is utter insanity to me. Firms are all choosing to pay that rate?

In the case I mentioned with the 3-5% it was a guess based on MSD actually being more than a simple lender and instead being a backer / partner in the deal.

Agree on the refinancing otherwise. As for the naming rights, that needs to be confirmed asap with payments coming in.

No point to have a flashy stadium and be a bottom half team.

Look at the Boro's or Sunderlands who built new grounds and dropped

Yup. I mean high yield is about 8% long term so it’s not ridiculous. Especially when the benchmark rate is currently 4-5%.

IG is around 6% atm so that’s probably the minimum we’d be looking to refinance at if rates stay where they are. But then there is no way we have an IG credit rating. We aren’t profitable.

Spurs refinanced when rates were more or less zero. Had decent profitability and security against a revenue generating asset. So a 2% premium for corporate debt was about right.

We have none of those things so the premium would be much higher and on top of a much higher base.

Yup. I mean high yield is about 8% long term so it’s not ridiculous. Especially when the benchmark rate is currently 4-5%.

IG is around 6% atm so that’s probably the minimum we’d be looking to refinance at if rates stay where they are. But then there is no way we have an IG credit rating. We aren’t profitable.

Spurs refinanced when rates were more or less zero. Had decent profitability and security against a revenue generating asset. So a 2% premium for corporate debt was about right.

We have none of those things so the premium would be much higher and on top of a much higher base.
The markets smell desperation.

Why does there seem to be more interest in buying us this time?...

Theres also the issue of our terrible start to last season and the incoming psr charges that rapidly made us relegation material.

The single most important thing, something the snakes with pound signs flashing in their eyes aren’t quite getting, is that any new owner will prioritise getting the club financially stable to avoid another season like this gone, where we got hit with points deductions, first and foremost before we can even remotely think of bringing in big money players
We’ve got to have realistic expectations. Probably a couple of seasons bumping around the bottom half before wriggle room for spending.

Also potential owners probably see the stadium as a cash cow for events etc. They might be quite happy to fund mid table mediocrity, guaranteed PL revenue etc without particularly wanting to go mad and try to buy big money players.

Why does there seem to be more interest in buying us this time?...

Theres also the issue of our terrible start to last season and the incoming psr charges that rapidly made us relegation material.
Yep, only potential charges looming over us that can still be avoided. Plus several other rivals almost certainly getting deducted points.

Have a strong start and we could be 10 points clear of the bottom two within a month. Ipswich I consider to be like Luton, not really good enough to make an impression in the league but will probably spring a few upsets before ultimately falling some distance short.

We have a manager and squad proven capable of standing up in adversity, so no longer look like a football club on the brink of relegation, which clearly makes us much more attractive.

Then we've got a desperate owner ready to accept a huge loss, no surprise there are dozens of parties interested in buying us.

Let's just hope we fall into the right hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back