Why do Americans favour Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back in the day when the only American association with Everton was having a Hot Dog with mustard at the Old lady during the interval. :mellow:

I don't think it's right to say 'why do americans favor Everton', I know Moyes said the people on the street support the team, but I'm not buying into the fact you turn up at some bar in Salt Lake City at one in the morning and there's a chorus of Z Cars or 'yanks' with Sheedy or Mountfield tops in the vicinity.

When I first signed up over a year ago, I'm 90 per cent right in thinking that I was one, out of say four of five American participants and now a year on, it's like that scene in Gremlins where if you get them wet or feed them after midnight we just multiply and before you know they're all over the shop.

I must stop snacking in the early hours. :blink:

It's a little late to think but I believe the first big name that got involved was Max Moore some ten years back or more and others have come along slowly ever since, what with Donovan and Howard now in the side of course it's going to swell in numbers.

It would of been interesting to see if Moyes had gone after Viduka, kewell or Emerton to join up with Cahill than half of Melbourne would be signing up for pizzas and such.

Just a thought.

Bars close at 1am in Salt Lake City, FYI. :P It's still a fun city despite that.

I chose Everton due to Donovan, FIFA 09/10 , Howard. I didn't want to pick a top 4 team because I dislike people who only root for the winningest teams ala Lakers,Celtics, Yankeee. Though Chelsea doesn't seem quite as bad as ManU, Arsenal or The Red [Poor language removed]??? or am I wrong? lol

LA Galaxy....suck it! RSL RSL RSL RSL.

Bars close at 1am in Salt Lake City, FYI. :P It's still a fun city despite that.

I chose Everton due to Donovan, FIFA 09/10 , Howard. I didn't want to pick a top 4 team because I dislike people who only root for the winningest teams ala Lakers,Celtics, Yankeee. Though Chelsea doesn't seem quite as bad as ManU, Arsenal or The Red [Poor language removed]??? or am I wrong? lol

Chelsea were a decent side traditionally. A few hundred million pumped into their squad by Abramovich makes you a teeny weeny bit wrong lol. :lol:

By the way.

Enjoy playing with the silver ball at home this season as defending MLS Champions.

(y)

Other than Landon, who else in the MLS is likely to make it to the top?
Do they have any wonder teens coming through etc?

Edit: Put this in the wrong thread, but not to worry.

Edit: Put this in the wrong thread, but not to worry.
You never know with American hype but Luis Gil is the big teen name right now. Arsenal was going to pick him up but he is going to stay in the MLS for a little bit. Kansas City Wizards won the lottery to get him.

We will see how he turns out as an adult.

If we talk about actual US youth, Luis Gil as was just mentioned. Jack McInerney might be one to watch (these are both guys that used to be on the USMNT U-17 team.)

If we're talking about "any" MLS players that are worth keeping an eye on, I had mentioned Stuart Holden earlier in the Sir Landon thread, but he made it to Bolton recently. I really like Shalrie Joseph (Midfielder for the New England Revolution) - honestly I think he'd be a perfect fit in the EPL. Jhon Kennedy Hurtado (CB with the Seattle Sounders) could probably make the jump right now if he had an offer. Chad Marshall of the Columbus Crew could probably start on the back line on many EPL teams. Guillermo Barros Schelotto(sp), usually just called "GBS", of the Crew probably could have been in the EPL years ago, but he's, what, 36 now?

Lenhart of the Crew as well.... he just put two in goal against a Mexican side a couple of days ago - I'm sure he could at least make rotation on some EPL sides. If Robbie Rogers could cross, he's another Crew player that could probably see rotation in the EPL (not likely starting material, but young and learning). Juan Pablo Angel of the NY Red Bulls is European-class, and I'm surprised he's still in the MLS. Taylor Twellman of New England and Jeff Cunningham of Dallas are two guys that are too old to make the jump now, but are some of the league-leading goalscorers over the last ten years - if they had been given the opportunity in the EPL, i'm sure they might have been good for striker depth.

The deepest teams with some of the best talent right now are the Houston Dynamo and the Columbus Crew. That's just my take on it, obviously i'm forgetting a ton of people. (y)

I'd take that list and edit it down to...Shalrie Joseph.

Juan Pablo Angel was largely consigned to the bench at Bolton (?) before he came to MLS. Taylor Twellman isn't too old yet, but probably not good enough -- a bit of a Brian McBride in some respects, but more of a goal poacher without much else to rely on for upside.

Robbie Rogers might reach EPL level, but I'm betting against it. He looks set for a Bobby Convey career.

Chad Marshall has been terrible for the national team, and, if you're looking for a young prospect, you might be better off picking up Omar Gonzales from the LA Galaxy. I have nothign bad to say about Jhon Kennedy Hurtado, so he might have some potential to go over there.

Stuart Holden, already at Bolton, could readily step into LD's shoes within the next few years.

Luis Gil in my mind young great center, (U17), great presence on the ball, also stu Holden at Bolton.....but older. Great wing, but broken leg now....right when we are on the upswing.

Last edited:
From the Dynamo:

Holden (now at Bolton)
Geoff Cameron

Lenhart did enough for me against Toluca to really take notice. I'll be looking forward to the Crew's visit to Houston. Same with Rogers.

Joseph of NE is always a danger. I thought Osvaldo Alonso at Seattle was a very good acquisition this year also.

From DC:

Troy Perkins as a 2nd keeper maybe, but I want to keep him at DC.

Jaime Moreno (too old now)went to Middlesbrough from 1994-1996 and then on loan in 1997.

Maybe in the future Chris Pontius and/or Rodney Wallace could go.

Benny Olsen (retired, now asst. coach) could've had a good career in England. Went to Nottingham Forest on loan in 2000-2001.

Chris Pontius - in his first ever game in the MLS and DC United:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhSQKupocmQ[/media]

Ben Olsens hattrick vs. NY Red Bulls (horrible quality video...3rd goal is best).
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOdsr0WUoYY&feature=related[/media]

Last edited:
From the Dynamo:

Holden (now at Bolton)
Geoff Cameron

Lenhart did enough for me against Toluca to really take notice. I'll be looking forward to the Crew's visit to Houston. Same with Rogers.

Joseph of NE is always a danger. I thought Osvaldo Alonso at Seattle was a very good acquisition this year also.

I can not agree with you on Rogers. Speed, yes, skill, yes, BUT game time presence, and intelligence...absent. He needs a lot of work.

Luis Gil, keep this name in mind! I do not care what others say, I have seen him play a lot and I think he is the next greatest. Has to develop physically though. A little small right now. Arsenal set their eyes on him when he was like 15-16

Last edited:
I can not agree with you on Rogers. Speed, yes, skill, yes, BUT game time presence, and intelligence...absent. He needs a lot of work.

But that can be taught and he's still young.

We'll see how he turns out. He could end up being another Eddie Gaven or Justin Mapp or he could really become a breakout star.

But that can be taught and he's still young.

We'll see how he turns out. He could end up being another Eddie Gaven or Justin Mapp or he could really become a breakout star.

You could be right, I watch him play, and he has all of the tools, just not there as far as pace/intelligence. He has pace, not the two together yet. A player definately to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back