Why do you keep supporting Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because this is a special club with a rich heritage and it meant so much to my late father.

And I’m looking forward to having a season ticket in a stadium that is located on one of the best known waterfronts in Europe… on the docklands of where my dad worked and his dad worked and his dad worked.

I’m at Old Trafford tonight and frankly there is no atmosphere like it when we win away from home. So here’s hoping we pull off an upset and do our club proud and our city proud.

What an extraordinary question.

Where to start?

But without question I’d support this club home and away even if we descended all the way down to League Two.

We are not kopites - we don’t support our club just because we win things every year.

Exceptionally good question.

One that Mrs J asks constantly and to be frank I struggle to answer.

However, I'm still here

Everton are part of my life. I can relate everything that has happened to me and think of the players and manager of the particular time since I was a young boy. I was old enough to enjoy the Championship seasons in 85 and 87 but being a little older, I retain most fondness for the Joe Royle era and for Big Joe himself, and Big Nev.

It's an attachment based on habit and sentiment. It's absolutely something I don't enjoy. It's like having an errant family member that you curse but you love them and would do anything to protect them. Well, hardly but you get the idea.

I don't support really. I'm not sure what that means in practical terms. It's not my role, nor anyone's to offer blind and unconditional support particularly when it's so obviously unworthy as it has largely been.

That's why there will be a melancholic reflection from me if we go down, and no more. A quiet but temporary sadness on the ending of an era and of a certainty of sorts. I would associate much of that certainty with loved ones and parts of my life that are also gone.

But it's football and it belongs where it should - quite low on the list of priorities. I once destroyed a conservatory door such was the ferocity with which I threw a book at it when we lost deep in injury time at White Hart Lane. Those days are long gone. It simply isn't worth it.
nailed it

I keep my ST purely out of habit, it’s a good excuse to have a drink with my arl fella, brother and some mates. I go a couple of aways a year with a different group and the absolute worst part of them 90% of the time is Everton. The days/nights out are great. The results barely bother me these days, I’ve accepted until the board leave then this was always the end game. I’ll always go and support them, but it doesn’t take over my life like it did when I was in my late teens/early twenties.

Kenwright/moshiri/baxendale out.

They're the alcohol of the football World. Occasionally you'll have a boss time but more usually they facilitate feelings of angst, insecurity and anger that manifest in irrational and antisocial forms.

They leave you feeling crappy for days and fundamentally undermine every other aspect of your existence, making life less pleasurable.

But you can't stop. "No sir, I don't have a problem. I'm in control of my drinking / Evertoning".

*hic*
Thats a brilliant way to describe it

Status
Not open for further replies.