Wildlife in your Garden

I heard a bit of commotion outside in the back so went to my window to have a nose. A cat and a fox were having a bit of a stand off, I think neither knew quite what to do with the other. I thought it was a cool moment so went to take a photo on my phone only for a seagull to fly over and drop a sausage roll right in the middle of the two of them making the fox scarper before I took the shot.

The cat had a sniff off the sausage roll and walked off.

It was basically Attenborough for the working class.

We get badgers in the garden every night starting around dusk. Counted 6 this year.

View attachment 184560
Mad creatures. I’ve had them walk right up to me if you stay still and downwind. They totally brick it when they realise you’re there. Eat absolutely anything.

Lot of farmers see them as a pest and a TB threat but they’re protected so I know a fair few turn a blind eye to lads taking them out. A lot of the ones you see roadside aren’t killed by cars but are put there on purpose.

Having said that, never used to see any where I used to live and are now far more common.

Mad creatures. I’ve had them walk right up to me if you stay still and downwind. They totally brick it when they realise you’re there. Eat absolutely anything.

Lot of farmers see them as a pest and a TB threat but they’re protected so I know a fair few turn a blind eye to lads taking them out. A lot of the ones you see roadside aren’t killed by cars but are put there on purpose.

Having said that, never used to see any where I used to live and are now far more common.

I found a massive set once, when walking to dogs one day, when we were on holiday in North Cornwall a few years back.

If you were downwind from them, you could watch them for hours, but, as you say if the wind is blowing up wind and they smell you, straight back into their sets they go.

I saw a dead one, not so long ago, on a slip road on the Runcorn side of the Mersey Gateway bridge, so they`re getting closer to civilisation.

That's right - they've got very poor eyesight so if you stand still they come very close to you. We leave the kitchen door open and put food on the step or just outside - they are quite happy to stop and eat even though we're sat on the floor just a yard away. Food comes first!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back