Wildlife in your Garden

Went to have a look at the Mossley Hill Peregrines yesterday.

I wasn`t there long and didn`t see them, but they`re deffo still there, as I found the remains, of a very recently killed Moorhen, at the base of the roost / nest site.

Which means, that they`re hunting in the local parks - Sefton / Greenbank / Caldertsones.

It`s strange, that there haven`t been many more sightings of them locally hunting ?

If they`re taking Moorhens, they`re taking them relatively low down, as they never fly high and you`d think people would see them ?

You`ve done well seeing a Bullfinch mate, do you have feeders in the garden ?

They`ve sadly been in decline for quite a long time now, I haven`t seen one for years.

The Great Spotted Woodpeckers in the woods by us have been drumming like mad this week and I was watching a pair of Ring Necked Parakeets, going in and out of hole in a tree yesterday ( noisy buggers ), which is a sure sign that they`re getting ready for the Spring.

You`ve done well seeing a Bullfinch mate, do you have feeders in the garden ?

They`ve sadly been in decline for quite a long time now, I haven`t seen one for years.

The Great Spotted Woodpeckers in the woods by us have been drumming like mad this week and I was watching a pair of Ring Necked Parakeets, going in and out of hole in a tree yesterday ( noisy buggers ), which is a sure sign that they`re getting ready for the Spring.
I don't yet mate, we moved in here in April and just got the entire house refurbed. So this spring/summer i can focus on the garden and doing some plant /fruit/veg growing and get some feeders.

We have a waterworks and nature park right behind our house so always lots of wildlife around, but I'm not very educated on the different types.

I don't yet mate, we moved in here in April and just got the entire house refurbed. So this spring/summer i can focus on the garden and doing some plant /fruit/veg growing and get some feeders.

We have a waterworks and nature park right behind our house so always lots of wildlife around, but I'm not very educated on the different types.

If you put up feeders, you`ll get loads of different types of birds in, with the waterworks and nature park at the back of the house. Those two combined, provide a really rich and varied habitat and food source - especially the waterworks, with all the insects once the weather warms up.

If you put up nest boxes too, you`ll quickly get birds nesting in them too.

If you do put up nest boxes, make sure you get the ones with steel plating around the entrance hole, as squirrels are terrors, for chewing around the hole, to get at the chicks / eggs inside.

If you put up feeders, you`ll get loads of different types of birds in, with the waterworks and nature park at the back of the house. Those two combined, provide a really rich and varied habitat and food source - especially the waterworks, with all the insects once the weather warms up.

If you put up nest boxes too, you`ll quickly get birds nesting in them too.

If you do put up nest boxes, make sure you get the ones with steel plating around the entrance hole, as squirrels are terrors, for chewing around the hole, to get at the chicks / eggs inside.
Yeah we have our resident squirrel that patrols the trees out our back so will need to keep that in mind. It's great to have so much wildlife nearby.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back