Wildlife in your Garden

I heard a bit of commotion outside in the back so went to my window to have a nose. A cat and a fox were having a bit of a stand off, I think neither knew quite what to do with the other. I thought it was a cool moment so went to take a photo on my phone only for a seagull to fly over and drop a sausage roll right in the middle of the two of them making the fox scarper before I took the shot.

The cat had a sniff off the sausage roll and walked off.

It was basically Attenborough for the working class.
This was super funny!

I am literally lolling!

Very strange, just found half a dead and almost picked clean fox in my back garden. Seemed to be just from the shoulders up that was left. It couldn't have been there for more than a day or two.

I'm wondering how it ended up there are what would've killed it? I am aware of some foxes that have eaten dead sea birds infected with bird flu are being found, but this wouldn't explain only a partial torso.

Unlikely to be a pack of dogs I'd have thought as this is an urban area. I live next to a busy trainline, I wonder if it was either thrown by a train or it crawled into the garden after being hit, although it ended up a good 25m from the track.

It was directly under a tree so in theory a bird of pray maybe but rhere are no birds big enough for it to be that.

Mystery to me.

Very strange, just found half a dead and almost picked clean fox in my back garden. Seemed to be just from the shoulders up that was left. It couldn't have been there for more than a day or two.

I'm wondering how it ended up there are what would've killed it? I am aware of some foxes that have eaten dead sea birds infected with bird flu are being found, but this wouldn't explain only a partial torso.

Unlikely to be a pack of dogs I'd have thought as this is an urban area. I live next to a busy trainline, I wonder if it was either thrown by a train or it crawled into the garden after being hit, although it ended up a good 25m from the track.

It was directly under a tree so in theory a bird of pray maybe but rhere are no birds big enough for it to be that.

Mystery to me.
Sounds like you're in imminent werewolf danger.

RIP.

Mystery to me.
Sounds like you have a Welshman living in your borders @Kurt. They love to nest within a decent shrubbery and come out at night.

They eat most stuff like slugs, voles, hedgehogs and are particularly fond of foxes and otters.

You can buy pellets to keep them at bay, or better still get yourself a crossbow.

Sounds like you have a Welshman living in your borders @Kurt. They love to nest within a decent shrubbery and come out at night.

They eat most stuff like slugs, voles, hedgehogs and are particularly fond of foxes and otters.

You can buy pellets to keep them at bay, or better still get yourself a crossbow.
That was my initial assessment

Mystery to me.
The train line seems the most logical answer, although not sure what you mean by "just the shoulders up that was left" Maybe it was hit by a train and crawled into the garden, where it died and has been scavaged by rats, birds of prey etc.
Weird request, but did you take a picture?

The train line seems the most logical answer, although not sure what you mean by "just the shoulders up that was left" Maybe it was hit by a train and crawled into the garden, where it died and has been scavaged by rats, birds of prey etc.
Weird request, but did you take a picture?
No, I lashed the remains back over between the railway embankment and our garden, only thought of taking a photo afterwards. All that I found was the head, a few vertebrae, both fore limbs and shoulder blades. Everything bar the front legs were stripped to the bone. No entrails or blood really anywhere. I wonder did something carry it into our garden?

Only birds of prey we get where I live would be buzzards, which I dont think would be big enough to take on a fox. Maybe a seagull found the carcass on the train line and tried to carry it for a bit before dropping it.

Unless the wife is a witch and it was some form of sacrifice?!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back