Wildlife in your Garden

Thought I'd give this thread a bump just to remind people that the nesting season is getting underway for many of our garden birds.
If you regularly feed the birds it's a good idea to use one of the feeders to make nesting materials available. (many places that sell bird food also sell nesting material)
You can use pet hair/fur etc, (but If you raid the contents of the wifes hairbrush remember to cut it into very small pieces as birds can actually get tangled in long hairs.) 👍

Thought I'd give this thread a bump just to remind people that the nesting season is getting underway for many of our garden birds.
If you regularly feed the birds it's a good idea to use one of the feeders to make nesting materials available. (many places that sell bird food also sell nesting material)
You can use pet hair/fur etc, (but If you raid the contents of the wifes hairbrush remember to cut it into very small pieces as birds can actually get tangled in long hairs.) 👍

Also to regularly clean your feeders and table, as the residue of any food left can turn rot and poisonous to the birds.

I was watching a little group of sparrows this morning, collecting nesting material and squeezing inbetween the soffits of some new build houses by us.

My mousetraps in my greenhouse I put out as I will be sowing seed soon - advisable caught 4 already in 3 days as they just eat & mess up your seed boxes eating the seed & disturbing my seed trays - so better to get rid of first caught the two adults which should stem the breeding of the pesky muchers ...

If you got one of those chargeable upright G.Tec vacumns the stuff that collects in them is great for bird nests

My mousetraps in my greenhouse I put out as I will be sowing seed soon - advisable caught 4 already in 3 days as they just eat & mess up your seed boxes eating the seed & disturbing my seed trays - so better to get rid of first caught the two adults which should stem the breeding of the pesky muchers ...
I have mine set up in the garage all year round. Got two in consecutive days the other week, nothing since. Hopefully the adults...

Done my first cut the other day joey, after putting weed and feed down the other week. When should I scarify? When it's dry or wet?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back