Wildlife in your Garden

We have been waiting for weeks to see if Mum would bring any of her babes out. We put the meal worms down as a teaser as Mum seems to love them, but wet food and water is available on tap

View attachment 137844

Have you got a nice big leaf pile or a nice old shed, with easy access you can put a box in full of straw / leaves etc mate ?

The chances are that if you keep on feeding them, they`ll look to hibernate near the ready made food source, as they fatten up for Winter.

We have a
Have you got a nice big leaf pile or a nice old shed, with easy access you can put a box in full of straw / leaves etc mate ?

The chances are that if you keep on feeding them, they`ll look to hibernate near the ready made food source, as they fatten up for Winter.
We built a hedgehog house in the hedges which we think she over wintered in. We are sure she is in there with a couple of babies and takes one of them out each evening to show them the ropes.

We need to tag or paint them to work out how many she actually has!

We have a

We built a hedgehog house in the hedges which we think she over wintered in. We are sure she is in there with a couple of babies and takes one of them out each evening to show them the ropes.

We need to tag or paint them to work out how many she actually has!

I haven’t seen one in the wild for years now, their decline has been a tragedy.

When I first started work in the late 80’s I used to work nights around the Sefton Park area.

There’s be that many hedgehogs crossing the rperimeter road around Sefton Park, that I’d stop several times a night to carry them across the road to the safety of the park :(

I haven’t seen one in the wild for years now, their decline has been a tragedy.

When I first started work in the late 80’s I used to work nights around the Sefton Park area.

There’s be that many hedgehogs crossing the rperimeter road around Sefton Park, that I’d stop several times a night to carry them across the road to the safety of the park :(
Their decline is really shocking.
In the 60s you genuinely couldn't walk a mile without seeing a few Hedgehogs around where I live. I'm lucky if I see one or two a year now.

@Joey66 how do you plead sir ?

Hedgehog mass murder, yes or no ?
Geese kill hedgehogs.......they are great for the garden eating slugs plus snails etc, never feed them saucers of milk .......Be wary they carry loads of fleas on them ......
Lovely animal .......always looked after them in my garden ....they are carnivores they would not eat slug pellets ......

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back