Wildlife in your Garden

Geese kill hedgehogs.......they are great for the garden eating slugs plus snails etc, never feed them saucers of milk .......Be wary they carry loads of fleas on them ......
Lovely animal .......always looked after them in my garden ....they are carnivores they would not eat slug pellets ......

No, but the slugs eat the pellets and then with slugs being the hedgehogs favourite food, they then eat poisoned slugs.

No, but the slugs eat the pellets and then with slugs being the hedgehogs favourite food, they then eat poisoned slugs.
Slug pellets are a very weak form of Formaldehyde they act as a deterrent, in fact I use a stronger formaldehyde in my fish pond for fungal deseases.........it does not kill my fish .......
Hedgerows being ripped out the increase of urban foxes etc may have seen a declining population of hedgehogs.......

Slug pellets are a very weak form of Formaldehyde they act as a deterrent, in fact I use a stronger formaldehyde in my fish pond for fungal deseases.........it does not kill my fish .......
Hedgerows being ripped out the increase of urban foxes etc may have seen a declining population of hedgehogs.......

100% slug pellets Joey.

Builds up in their bodies and slowly die.

Just googled it the juries still out on whether slug pellets kill Hedgehogs ......as birds eat slugs also ......

Yes and for years and years, one of the main birds that eats slugs - the Song Thrush, has been in massive decline too.

They`re only just starting to recover now.

I do agree with you that slug pellets are incredibly effective, but they are also very bad for wildlife too.

A much better option is a buried pint glass, with a nice drop of bitter in it.

The slugs love it and at least drown happy ;)

Poisoning anything in the wild always has knock effects for other birds and animals - gamekeepers putting out dead rabbits laced with poison for foxes, ends up being eaten by birds of prey etc.

Yes and for years and years, one of the main birds that eats slugs - the Song Thrush, has been in massive decline too.

I do agree with you that slug pellets are incredibly effective, but they are also very bad for wildlife too.

Poisoning anything in the wild always has knock effects for other birds and animals - gamekeepers putting out dead rabbits laced with poison for foxes, ends up being eaten by birds of prey etc.
oK David Att

Mild beer is the best way to catch & kill slugs ......

The new planning laws by Cameron @ co are a joke for wildlife - they build everywhere, at the back of me a small or hard of app!e trees came down on a bank holiday morning - the very next day I e mailed the council........to complain about the destruction of wildlife etc p!us the drainage problems the new extension managed egg egg
The response was it was just a bit of undergrowth......
I contacted local Councillors - no interest the owners promised drainage, reducing the excess water planting new trees landscaping of the large garden etc etc......
Utter bullcrap they have flagged the whole area .......
I wrote out a full report went to.see my local MP ......

The planning laws by Cameron & co are so relaxed that's why new builds are every where.......

This is why wildlife is on the decline - slug pellets last for 24 hours less of they get wet......wildlife like a hedgehog will feed of the millions of eggs throat just under the soil. - which the slugs lay .....

Look around your area to see new extensions .....New houses etc.....

Urban foxes are on the increase as dustbins & recycling bins do not get emptied weekly .....a cunning fox will kill & feed of most things .......they are on the increase ........
If people are lucky to get hedgehogs in their garden they put out a saucer of milk which is a big no for the hedgehogs digestive system .....

I love wildlife, but I am afraid the over building programmes is the main increase for its decline HS2 railway is a prime example ......

oK David Att

Mild beer is the best way to catch & kill slugs ......

The new planning laws by Cameron @ co are a joke for wildlife - they build everywhere, at the back of me a small or hard of app!e trees came down on a bank holiday morning - the very next day I e mailed the council........to complain about the destruction of wildlife etc p!us the drainage problems the new extension managed egg egg
The response was it was just a bit of undergrowth......
I contacted local Councillors - no interest the owners promised drainage, reducing the excess water planting new trees landscaping of the large garden etc etc......
Utter bullcrap they have flagged the whole area .......
I wrote out a full report went to.see my local MP ......

The planning laws by Cameron & co are so relaxed that's why new builds are every where.......

This is why wildlife is on the decline - slug pellets last for 24 hours less of they get wet......wildlife like a hedgehog will feed of the millions of eggs throat just under the soil. - which the slugs lay .....

Look around your area to see new extensions .....New houses etc.....

Urban foxes are on the increase as dustbins & recycling bins do not get emptied weekly .....a cunning fox will kill & feed of most things .......they are on the increase ........
If people are lucky to get hedgehogs in their garden they put out a saucer of milk which is a big no for the hedgehogs digestive system .....

I love wildlife, but I am afraid the over building programmes is the main increase for its decline HS2 railway is a prime example ......

I completely agree with you there mate.

If Chippy Tits Anderson would’ve had his way, he’d have built houses on every park in South Liverpool.

Ps - Ancient Orchards are legally protected by law, as a lot of them are SSSI’s ( Sites of Special Scientific Interest) Due to the unique ecosystem they provide for some incredibly rare invertebrates, lichens, flowers and plants.

I’m not sure of the act that covers it, but it may fall under the Wildlife and Countryside Act - it shouldn’t be too hard to find.

if it was a very old orchard, the developer may have committed offences.

They’re trying to do the same thing with Speke Airport at the mo - runway expansion. Which would destroy acres and acres of unique shoreline habitat. This is despite the aviation industry being on its arse. ( Two of the only three pairs of Barn Owls in South Liverpool nest down there for starters ).

Surprise surprise, Anderson was involved again.

I completely agree with you there mate.

If Chippy Tits Anderson would’ve had his way, he’d have built houses on every park in South Liverpool.

Ps - Ancient Orchards are legally protected by law, as a lot of them are SSSI’s ( Sites of Special Scientific Interest) Due to the unique ecosystem they provide for some incredibly rare invertebrates, lichens, flowers and plants.

I’m not sure of the act that covers it, but it may fall under the Wildlife and Countryside Act - it shouldn’t be too hard to find.

if it was a very old orchard, the developer may have committed offences.

They’re trying to do the same thing with Speke Airport at the mo - runway expansion. Which would destroy acres and acres of unique shoreline habitat. This is despite the aviation industry being on its arse. ( Two of the only three pairs of Barn Owls in South Liverpool nest down there for starters ).

Surprise surprise, Anderson was involved again.
Football fields are disappearing ...... What I found out when an extension went up, 2/3rds the size of the original Bungalow - was the owner had friends in high places .......
I had contacts, but hit a wall of corruption - note this any owner of a new build or extension they can choose their own paid Clerk of Works to represent how the new build is regulated - Councils have privatised this service out - not like the old days when the Council's Clerk of works inspected everything from foundations upwards -

The old saying now of - he who pays the piper calls the tune springs to mind -

I Have builders who come to do jobs at the back of my property exclaim "How did the hell did they get planning for that kitchen extension" two stories high ......

11 people objected you need eight people - The architects report was flawed I wrote an extensive report for the planning committee, they but the extension on the fence line on one side .... one councillor rejected it out of 12 .....

Wildlife never came into the reckoning to them its extra council tax - end of..... the promised landscaped garden in the future plus trees planted - they are business people flagged the lot .....

That's why flooding is on the increase - people particularly front gardens are now taken away & tarmacked, flagged for car parking -

My landscaped front garden a little boy was fascinated at the bees, watching them fetching the pollen in off the flowers ....

First time in my life I saw a hare doe with her two leverets suckling on the lawn ,it was just after dark and we went out to test our new lights and lo and behold .It was worth the cost of the lights just for that .As with all the wildlife we get I talked to them quite loudly and it seems to settle them ,they were there for a few minutes and just toddled off .

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back