Wildlife in your Garden

….just saw a rat in my back garden. Eeeeeew. Seems plenty around this summer, my daughter and my son live nearby & have both seen them in their gardens.
Seeing the odd rat is nothing to worry about. They are so common that it's almost inconceivable that you would NEVER see one.
No problem unless you are seeing them regularly or in numbers ;)
I may be considered weird . . . but I quite like rats.

Get a Rat Traps ...... chocolate bait ......or peanut butter.'......I drowned a sewer rat once ......all rats carry Weems disease, nasty vermin .....
not pet rats though mate, its wild rats what carry weils disease, i think you catch it from their urine trail - rats piddle continuously. on a side note, if you leave the grass in your garden to grow long and out of control then grasshoppers will apparently appear from nowhere and get all over the place and hey presto a wildlife garden

not pet rats though mate, its wild rats what carry weils disease, i think you catch it from their urine trail - rats piddle continuously. on a side note, if you leave the grass in your garden to grow long and out of control then grasshoppers will apparently appear from nowhere and get all over the place and hey presto a wildlife garden

Weils disease is horrendous. Normally caught via rats piss in water - swimming in lakes / ponds and by fishermen.

Pre pandemic, a lad by us nearly died from it, from swimming in an untreated swimming pool in Spain out of season. He’s still wrecked from it now.

Weils disease is horrendous. Normally caught via rats piss in water - swimming in lakes / ponds and by fishermen.

Pre pandemic, a lad by us nearly died from it, from swimming in an untreated swimming pool in Spain out of season. He’s still wrecked from it now.
jeez! wasn`t really aware it was that bad a disease. i knew of a lad who went fishing and caught it (see what i did there lol) and he had to have treatment all the time, i didn`t know it was fatal.

jeez! wasn`t really aware it was that bad a disease. i knew of a lad who went fishing and caught it (see what i did there lol) and he had to have treatment all the time, i didn`t know it was fatal.
Never heard of it before. Just looked on the NHS website and it states that you should not touch water or soil which may have animal pee on it. Surely all soil and water may have animal pee on it so that’s a bit tricky to avoid ?‍♂️

Never heard of it before. Just looked on the NHS website and it states that you should not touch water or soil which may have animal pee on it. Surely all soil and water may have animal pee on it so that’s a bit tricky to avoid ?‍♂️
Exactly.
There is not a body of water anywhere that doesn't contain rat pee. When you then consider that weils disease can also be spread by amphibeans such as frogs and toads as well as animals such as pigs, cattle and even dogs it's amazing that anyone is still alive. :rolleyes:
It really is a horrible disease but I'm not sure why it's being discussed just because @Eggs spotted a rat in his garden. lol
We tend to demonise any animals that aren't cuddly looking.
I'm just as happy to see a rat in the garden as any other visiting critter. ?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back