Would you pay £24m for Lukaku?

What is the maximum you'd pay for Rom?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other season i would say pay the £24m; but unless Martinez can pull off some miracles with loans again that probably wont leave much of a kitty for other positions that need strengthening, especially with European football
We should have more money to spend this summer (without selling a player) than we're likely to any time in the foreseeable future, so if we're gonna spend big on a player, now is potentially the time to do it while still being able to reinforce elsewhere

Why does it sound like he's looking for a club other than Everton? The British press omitted this part of the interview that was given in Belgium btw.

“I have the opportunity to stay at Everton, it is a possibility and it is something we will have to talk about. But first I want to go back to Belgium, see my family and get some rest.”
Think it's only us that'll be looking at it that way. Think almost everyone else would either look at it as a simple statement of fact, or even that he's saying that's the most likely looking outcome at the moment.

Obviously if the opportunity to go somewhere where he's going to win the league every season came up, then we're going to have a tough time - but that was always going to be the case.

PS. The Echo based their entire story around that part of the interview.

Last edited:
His post match comments, IMO, suggests someone who is looking for a club other than Everton & Chelsea...Wonder how much there is to the rumours linking him to Simeone & Los Rojiblancos
By all accounts Simeone himself doesn't want him. If these are true, can't see Rom wanting to move from one club where the manager thinks he doesn't fit in straight into another one, even if they have just won the Spanish league

Why does it sound like he's looking for a club other than Everton? The British press omitted this part of the interview that was given in Belgium btw.

“I have the opportunity to stay at Everton, it is a possibility and it is something we will have to talk about. But first I want to go back to Belgium, see my family and get some rest.”

"I want to be somewhere where I can play my best football and hopefully win titles. It’s up to me to work hard but there are choices to make. Things like that happen in football and I’m confident I will make the right choice."

“I have the opportunity to stay at Everton, it is a possibility and it is something we will have to talk about."

“I’m 21 but I think I’m experienced enough now. I’ve played a lot of games and scored a lot of goals and now I want to win titles and become one of the best. I have a few ideas but we’ll see. I have to have discussions first and have to think about it. I want to go home and then I will decide. It will be soon.”

No way to be certain but his comments give the impression of someone looking elsewhere

He has frighteningly large tickets on himself, but all the best strikers do. Should we sign him, he'd want another transfer within a couple of seasons I'd imagine.

But. If those couple of seasons included 35 goals and a value increase of £15mil I have no problem with that.

Lukaku should be banging on Martinez's door and begging him to get him signed for Everton. Lukaku hardly set the world on fire at the world cup. We are a good fit for him, and he for us, and if he doesn't realise that then he is an idiot. A team that plays to his strengths, a manger that rates him, talks highly of him and been patient with him, players that want him to stay and supporters on the whole who want him at the club. Lukaku would be a fool not to sign for us.

Lukaku should be banging on Martinez's door and begging him to get him signed for Everton. Lukaku hardly set the world on fire at the world cup. We are a good fit for him, and he for us, and if he doesn't realise that then he is an idiot. A team that plays to his strengths, a manger that rates him, talks highly of him and been patient with him, players that want him to stay and supporters on the whole who want him at the club. Lukaku would be a fool not to sign for us.

A bit naive

He can cherry pick teams between most of them, tbh.
Any CL chasing team would love to have him in there, Atletico being the obvious one but any other bigger club would love to buy him - thing about Lukaku is he is a super-solid investment. You're banking on whether he comes good, like - does anybody here think he will not come good? Course not. It's just a question of how good he can get.

He has frighteningly large tickets on himself, but all the best strikers do. Should we sign him, he'd want another transfer within a couple of seasons I'd imagine.

But. If those couple of seasons included 35 goals and a value increase of £15mil I have no problem with that.

Very true this, he has a huge opinion of himself. Self confidence is one thing but sometimes it can be grating.
The best part is if we did sign him he wouldn't be the 'star' man. Star stiker yes, but Barkley and even Stones are potentially bigger talents.

We have some wonderful young players who could be a real force in a few years. He would be silly to turn his back on us imo.

A bit naive

Mourinho doesn't get it wrong about many players, struggling to think of one, maybe bringing Eto to Chelsea. If Lukaku was that good he would have been in Chelsea's starting line up. Lukaku has a very high opinion of his ability, he should look at some of the games he has played in when his ability to do the basics, like trapping a ball, was found wanting.

I think he could become one of those players that the media talks a good game for him, but never fully makes the top grade. Lukaku hasn't got the stamina to be a regular starter week in, week out. I think he needs a reality check. After a world cup when he was a bit part player, he needs to rethink a bit about what he is capable of and what he has to offer.

We are a perfect fit for him, with a manger and supporters that want him, and are prepared to be patient with him, on the whole. If he decides to go elsewhere then good luck to the lad and I hope it works out. But ...we'll see.

He can cherry pick teams between most of them, tbh.
Any CL chasing team would love to have him in there, Atletico being the obvious one but any other bigger club would love to buy him - thing about Lukaku is he is a super-solid investment. You're banking on whether he comes good, like - does anybody here think he will not come good? Course not. It's just a question of how good he can get.

I don't get this at all since his blistering start he's tailed off I don't see this as a prima facie case leading to such declarations. The roaring lion of a player who started the season has become a slightly snoozy kitty cat and if I'm generous perhaps belgium and ourselves haven't played to his strengths. Hopefully Roberto spots this cos it looks like he's gonna be here after all.

The alternative is he could be another Adebayor or even worse just not that good after all.

Hope Roberto has this nailed cos 20+ million is a massive gamble for us.

[
Mourinho doesn't get it wrong about many players, struggling to think of one, maybe bringing Eto to Chelsea. If Lukaku was that good he would have been in Chelsea's starting line up. Lukaku has a very high opinion of his ability, he should look at some of the games he has played in when his ability to do the basics, like trapping a ball, was found wanting.

I think he could become one of those players that the media talks a good game for him, but never fully makes the top grade. Lukaku hasn't got the stamina to be a regular starter week in, week out. I think he needs a reality check. After a world cup when he was a bit part player, he needs to rethink a bit about what he is capable of and what he has to offer.

We are a perfect fit for him, with a manger and supporters that want him, and are prepared to be patient with him, on the whole. If he decides to go elsewhere then good luck to the lad and I hope it works out. But ...we'll see.

Yeah because Torres was clearly the superior option.

Lukaku is a goalscorer, he can't pass well nor control the ball, £24M is what Chelsea payed for Drogba all those years ago & although I doubt Rom will ever reach his level, in the modern market £24M for a player of his potential is sound business.

Is it just me or does anyone else think if we donating him he won't score as many goals, he looked knackered towards the mid way point and end of last season and he's just been at a World Cup, if he signs and plays most games the lad is gonna be goosed

Is it just me or does anyone else think if we donating him he won't score as many goals, he looked knackered towards the mid way point and end of last season and he's just been at a World Cup, if he signs and plays most games the lad is gonna be goosed

Hopefully Koné will be able to give him some competition for that spot. Younger lads too.

Sigh, who am i kidding. We need at least two strikers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back