Would you pay £24m for Lukaku?

What is the maximum you'd pay for Rom?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard that his agent is on the verge of finalising a deal with Everton! My source works in the media department of the club.

Maybe the same reason that the elite clubs didn't sign Baines from Wigan. Because they're a bunch of tits.

These are the same 'elite clubs' who signed Javi Garcia for £15m, Rodwell for £15m, let Pogba go, and signed Torres for £50m.

We shouldn't be going down that line anyway, clearly Martinez likes Lukaku and thinks he's the striker we need. I'm not particularly arsed what the scouts of United or Arsenal think on the subject.

As for all this inside forward and technical player malarkey, Mourinho has just signed a striker for £32m who on a technical level makes McGeady look like Messi.

@Tubey I agree with Brennan here. Also, certain players fit certain styles of play. Actually that's true for most players. Lukaku fits what Martinez does, he knows how to use him. Why did Dortumund let Pienaar go only to see him flouish here? Why did Real Sociedad let Arteta go for next to nothing only see him become a top player in England? Who knows? All I know is he's worth 24 million to us right now, and if he flourishes here, which I'm sure he would, he'd be worth just as much if not more in 4 years at the peak of his career with a reputation behind his name.

@Tubey I agree with Brennan here. Also, certain players fit certain styles of play. Actually that's true for most players. Lukaku fits what Martinez does, he knows how to use him. Why did Dortumund let Pienaar go only to see him flouish here? Why did Real Sociedad let Arteta go for next to nothing only see him become a top player in England? Who knows? All I know is he's worth 24 million to us right now, and if he flourishes here, which I'm sure he would, he'd be worth just as much if not more in 4 years at the peak of his career with a reputation behind his name.

Pienaar/Arteta are players who had floundered below the elite level that we took a punt on - bit of a difference with Lukaku as by all rights his record and ageshows he should be attracting serious attention.

I agree that certain players suit systems, and if you look at my posts in this very thread you'll see I've said that a few times, and it's almost certainly the reason elite clubs don't want to bring him in as he doesn't fit the elite level tactical systems in place at the powerhouse clubs right now in the same way a more mobile frontman like Suarez does. But the problem with Lukaku is that I don't actually believe he suits Martinez's system at all either, due to his terrible first touch and hold up play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ba rumours are true, not because we don't have a shot at Lukaku, but because he'd suit our all round system more.

The plus point in going for Lukaku is that he gets goals. The minus is that when he isn't scoring he's often next to useless.

In short, we'd be spending £20m plus on potentially a higher level Jelavic but without the workrate. Or, of course, it's £20m plus on a world class striker in the making. All I'm saying is that it's by no means nailed on that he's going to go on to be world class, and as such it represents a risk for us as I've yet to see him play consistently well in a possession based fluent attacking system that involves the striker in hold up play as well as running off the shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back