Transfer Rumour Yankuba Minteh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who did he have at Burnley? McNeil who he turned into a player we paid big money for for Burnley.
This is just wrong.

McNeil got minutes early, yes. But he was never a typical winger.

Worth remembering that a young McNeil was valued much higher than what he was sold for. Top 4 clubs were looking at him. But he never developed into the player many thought he would do. If anything, he regressed as a Burnley player.

He was sold at the end of his worst season as a player. His poor season played a part in Dyche getting fired and Burnley being relegated.

I had expectations to McNeil. I was very surprised when I saw how poor he was. And I think Lampard and his team should get some credit for how they worked with him the half season they got with him. He improved. And the football he has played since Dyche became Everton manager, has been much better than anything he did for Burnley.

McNeil went from scoring 7 goals in ~130 games playing for Dyche at Burnley to scoring 5 in 15 when Dyche came to Everton (followed by 3 in 38).

This is just wrong.

Worth remembering that a young McNeil was valued much higher than what he was sold for. Top 4 clubs were looking at him. But he never developed into the player many thought he would do. If anything, he regressed as a Burnley player.

He was sold at the end of his worst season as a player. His poor season played a part in Dyche getting fired and Burnley being relegated.

I had expectations to McNeil. I was very surprised when I saw how poor he was. And I think Lampard and his team should get some credit for how they worked with him the half season they got with him. He improved. And the football he has played since Dyche became Everton manager, has been much better than anything he did for Burnley.

McNeil went from scoring 7 goals in ~130 games playing for Dyche at Burnley to scoring 5 in 15 when Dyche came to Everton (followed by 3 in 38).

McNeill is just one dimensional.

He works hard, which is all i ask for any footballer for Everton. If you work hard and it doesn't come off, the fans will accept that. He i just very one dimensional. One footed, a bit easy to predict. He does have a sweet left foot, just needs to be more dynamic and less predictable in possesion and he'd have developed more to his potential.

This is just wrong.

I think thats just you taking a few random rumours from twitter and stuff at face value and so viewing it from the wrong angle I don't think McNeil was ever really valued much higher it was just paper talk its like people say the same about Holgate the truth is you only have to watch a little bit of them to see that they aren't at that sort of level and the fact their agent managed to get some stories printed about them doesn't change how good they actually are. McNeil is a good solid midtable premier league player but he hasn't got enough about him to be a proper top class player.

McNeill is just one dimensional.

He works hard, which is all i ask for any footballer for Everton. If you work hard and it doesn't come off, the fans will accept that. He i just very one dimensional. One footed, a bit easy to predict. He does have a sweet left foot, just needs to be more dynamic and less predictable in possesion and he'd have developed more to his potential.
He came through at the time everyone was looking for inverted wingers and clubs wanted to use him on the right. Cutting inside and be a threat with his good left foot.

What we learned playing him there, was that he doesn't have the acceleration to beat a man from standing still. He's not slow and good at progressing with the ball, but not explosive enough to take on defenders that know how one-footed he is.

Saw a post on x yesterday saying that lyon are essentially broke and are having a meeting with the french fa to explain their money issues.

Last September they needed to raise €300m and john texter said hes "willing too sell any asset" to improve the clubs financial situation.

I dont see how a club has gone from that to smashing their club record transfer fee by 60% for a completely unproven kid.
My take on it - based on nothing - is that DCL has told Everton he wants out but is waiting to see if he gets anyone bigger than Newcastle (actually not a dig from me), whereas Everton see a deal for Minteh and want that.

Obviously any deal needs to happen by June 30th if it's PSR related so Everton are probably pushing.

Wouldn't be surprised if Newcastle are up to some accounting shenanigans by getting Lyon's 'bid' to drive up the price.

Even 25 million seems like madness for me.

I am all for buying young talent that can be improved and with potential to having a high resell value. I just don't think Everton have the right manager for the.

Dyche is an experienced manager, but has he ever added much value to young offensive talent. Teams are set up to make defenders and goalkeepers to look good. Midfielders mostly look awful because his teams don't even bother to try to control matches. Strikers get isolated and wide players end up position wise like full backs for other teams.

The first thing Dyche did when arriving as Everton manager was to take the best midfielder (Iwobi) and ask him to sit just in front of the right backs options because they needed all the help in the world. Even Patterson looked half decent when Iwobi did most of the defending. Last season it did not matter who played as right back, when Harrison played all of them looked crap. The quick fix to the right back problem was to play Garner in front of whoever was playing.

The wide players in a Dyche team aren't wingers. They never have been. They will spend most of the time in their own half. What they do defensively will almost be most important. And if they don't provide a lot of help to the full backs, they won't play. There were good reasons for why Dyche never wanted to play Gray wide.

To think that a teenage winger will walk into Everton's starting eleven seems very unlikely.

I would not be surprised at all if James Garner end up with most starts in the right midfield next season. The team looked better with him there than when Harrison was playing. The question is whether Garner is needed centrally or not. With Doucoure and possibily Ndidi as extra midfield options, Dyche might have his right midfielder in Garner.

This post might look like very anti-Dyche. I respect the job he has done. He has done well and will probably continue to do so. But he has never been good at improving and adding value to offensive players. Especially not young ones.

I am worried that a 25 million Minteh will become a 10 million player within 12 months. No one should be surprised when/if Dyche plays Ashley Young instead of the young prospect that was brought in for a lot of money. That is what Dyche has done his entire career as a manager.
Onana was 21 years old last season. Branthwaite 21 years old. Garner 22 years old. McNeil 23. Dobbin 20, Chermiti 19.
Since Dyche took over the value of every single one of them rised and everyone got the playing time they deserved.
Do they have to defend more than in other teams? Yes but let's not pretend we didn't have one of the highest expected goals for a long period last season. Many people seem to forget how many offensive actions we have per game because of the deep, compact defending. Especially against teams outside the top 6.
The reason we don't score many goals is not Sean dyches tactics but the inefficiency and lack of quality (especially in speed and 1v1) of our attacking players. That's exactly why a player like minteh would be a huge step in the right direction, who would develop well under dyche

Yes but let's not pretend we didn't have one of the highest expected goals for a long period last season.
Sure. Everton produce expected goals when they are struggling. When they are chasing matches. When they need goals to get points. That doesn't make the team offensive.

From losing position Everton will attack. They will get xG.

When leading or drawing, they are more than happy with letting the Lutons and Doncasters of the world control and dominate matches. Home and away.

High xG doesn't necessarily equal offensive football. Often it comes as a result of poor teams being desperate.

Onana was 21 years old last season. Branthwaite 21 years old. Garner 22 years old. McNeil 23. Dobbin 20, Chermiti 19.
Since Dyche took over the value of every single one of them rised and everyone got the playing time they deserved.
Do they have to defend more than in other teams? Yes but let's not pretend we didn't have one of the highest expected goals for a long period last season. Many people seem to forget how many offensive actions we have per game because of the deep, compact defending. Especially against teams outside the top 6.
The reason we don't score many goals is not Sean dyches tactics but the inefficiency and lack of quality (especially in speed and 1v1) of our attacking players. That's exactly why a player like minteh would be a huge step in the right direction, who would develop well under dyche

Dyches teams have never ever scored many goals and that is because he’s a negative, safety first manager. Most of our chances come from set pieces.

This is just wrong.

I always viewed him as a low ceiling/low floor player. He's played better after his initial spell here, but I don't see him getting much better technically and certainly not physically at this point.

What I can see is a switch in positions to make him more productive. At least in our squad, as it's constructed right now, many of his best attributes are wasted on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back