Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Young EFC Players Out On Loan 16-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught a bit on 5live in the car today by Steve Morrison of Millwall, although not EFC young players it struck me as being relevant to our frequent discussions on what players need / get out of loans. The context was Millwall beating teams who don't put out their regular players, and he was saying that when he sees he's against say a PL player out of their Academy he knows they won't be ready for the physical side of it , that they've been "sheltered" , don't know how to cope, so he targets them. He broadened it a bit to include league games not just FACup by saying the refereeing , even by PL referees, is different in lower league matches and they are allowed to do things ( think he meant tackles etc) that would get punished in the PL. He went on to say that youngsters coming into this level (from a PL Academy I think he meant) are caught by surprise initially then they adapt to it.
I thought it was interesting as it came from a player and reflected points often made on here that these loans out to lower leagues help to toughen up youngsters ...... if they can adapt .

I caught a bit on 5live in the car today by Steve Morrison of Millwall, although not EFC young players it struck me as being relevant to our frequent discussions on what players need / get out of loans. The context was Millwall beating teams who don't put out their regular players, and he was saying that when he sees he's against say a PL player out of their Academy he knows they won't be ready for the physical side of it , that they've been "sheltered" , don't know how to cope, so he targets them. He broadened it a bit to include league games not just FACup by saying the refereeing , even by PL referees, is different in lower league matches and they are allowed to do things ( think he meant tackles etc) that would get punished in the PL. He went on to say that youngsters coming into this level (from a PL Academy I think he meant) are caught by surprise initially then they adapt to it.
I thought it was interesting as it came from a player and reflected points often made on here that these loans out to lower leagues help to toughen up youngsters ...... if they can adapt .

I think this is the value of having Stubbs and to a greater degree Unsworth. They are both hardened pro's with an old fashioned attitude. I read the other day that Unsworth doesn't allows snoods or gloves. He didn't elaborate on why but I sense it is to test their character as well as their ability. I wonder if the rough sleeping stuff also plays a part in this. Getting through your first 10 games as a young player is as much about dealing with mental pressure and keeping a clear head as it is with any technical skills.

This is my critique of clubs like Chelsea, City and a fair few of the London teams younger players. There is undoubtedly a pampering of their players who are often told how amazing they are and given some preferential treatment at England age group levels. However they don't seem as well grounded as our lads and have struggled to make that transition into first team football.

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk...-place-with-everton-for-conor-grant-1-8398145

Doncaster Rovers chief executive Gavin Baldwin reveals a deal is in place with Everton for Conor Grant Conor Grant.

A deal is in place for Doncaster Rovers to sign Conor Grant from Everton in the summer - IF the midfielder wants to make the move. Rovers had a bid for a permanent move accepted for Grant by Everton prior to the January transfer window. But the 21-year-old remained keen to prove himself worthy of a place higher up the football pyramid and opted for a loan instead.

Rovers believe winning promotion to League One could tempt Grant to make the switch, particularly due to the club’s strong ambitions for a return to the Championship. And an agreement has been reached with Everton should he make that choice.

“The finances are informally agreed,” chief executive Gavin Baldwin told the Free Press. “It would be structured over 12 months. There would be cash up front, cash after 12 months and other incentives such as promotion bonuses, win bonuses and sell-on clauses built into it. “Everton are protecting themselves but it also means it’s more affordable for us.

“Buying players from Premier League clubs is not cheap so if we can spread the cash, and back ourselves to do well and get good crowds, that pays for the deal and gives us some time to do it.” Grant has settled in well after last month returning to the Keepmoat, where he spent four months on loan last summer.

Baldwin says the prospect of securing Grant on a permanent deal is another incentive for securing promotion to League One. He said: “Conor is a really sensible, good lad. He’s honest with us. “He is adamant, and I support him on this, that he doesn’t see himself as permanently a League Two player. “But if he comes here and helps us get to League One, that’s an entirely different conversation and one he would then welcome. “Conor has high expectations and why not? He’s a quality player that proves himself. “Now he’s got to prove himself to Darren Ferguson by the end of the season and we’ve almost got to prove ourselves to him as well. “We want to do well, he wants to do well. Hopefully it’s a marriage that ends up in League One.”

Rovers boss Ferguson is confident promotion would see Grant make the switch and also tempt back fellow loanees Jordan Houghton and Niall Mason. He said: “Jordan has just signed a new contract with Chelsea and I know he’s happy there. “His next natural progression would be to go on loan to a League One club. “If we get promoted I would feel we would have a chance with those three. “I would be optimistic with that, given how well they’ve done here and how much they’ve enjoyed it.”

“He is adamant, and I support him on this, that he doesn’t see himself as permanently a League Two player. “But if he comes here and helps us get to League One, that’s an entirely different conversation and one he would then welcome. “Conor has high expectations and why not? He’s a quality player that proves himself. “
You have say that's a great attitude from Conor Grant , he doesn't see himself as a league 2 player. I honestly think he'd find it too difficult to break through for us next season , but good luck to him in proving me wrong or more likely playing well enough to become a league 1 player next season and progressing from there.

Championship
Wigan Athletic - Callum Connolly played full match in 1-2 away defeat to Queen's Park Rangers

OS Match Report

Fan comment
"Power & Conolly were both skinned by Lualua who was MOM."

League One
Oxford United - Conor McAleny started, scored and was substituted in the 88th minute of a 1-0 away win over Charlton Athletic (Twitter says he was booked, BBC not.)

OS Match Report
"The left-back joined the attack and played a clever ball across for McAleny in space 30 yards out. There didn’t seem to be too much danger but the debutant needed no second invitation to let fly with a terrific low effort that ripped past Declan Rudd and was in the bottom left corner in a flash. A goal of the season contender if Rob Hall hadn’t already won it at Swindon."

Twitter stuff
2' McAleny drives in a low cross from the right that Teixeira clears from under the bar
12' Joe Skarz plays the ball inside for McAleny who takes on two defenders before crashing it in off the post from 25 yards.
77' Lundstram picks out McAleny on the far edge of the area. He tries his luck from 20 yards but straight at Rudd.
80' YELLOW for Tony Watt for bringing down McAleny.

Fan comment
"He looked the real deal tonight, not just with the goal but his touch, energy and movement showed real promise...can't wait to see more of him."

Sounds like Ledson had another MOTM performance for them.

League Two
Morecambe - Antony Evans started on the bench and was brought on in the 88th minute of a 1-1 away draw at Newport County

McAleny getting rave reviews down here. Appreciate that the ship has sailed for him at Everton but thought you'd like to know.

And Ledson is class, can't believe he's only 19!
I have to admit i was surprised Ledson was sold and not loaned out, but good luck to him, McAleny and your other ex blue Lundstram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back