Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Young EFC Players Out On Loan 16-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what do you know! Conor McAleny scored a hatrick today for Oxford Utd!

Feel he really should have found a home in the lower leagues a little by time ago.. might have been so much further in his career .. but he kept trying to break in and make it happen.. good luck to the lad! He must be enjoying his football at the moment..

Premier League
Brendan Galloway was not in match-day squad for WBA.

Scottish Premier League
Russell Griffiths was an unused sub for Motherwell.

Championship
Barnsley - Gethin Jones played whole match and was booked in 1-1 draw with Huddersfield Town

OS Match Report
"The first yellow card was awarded to Gethin Jones for pulling back Elias Kachunga as he raced in on goal"

Twitter stuff
23 - Yellow card for Gethin Jones. A chance for Mooy to cross into the Reds area.
24 - Jones does well to head the initial delivery away under pressure, Huddersfield have a corner from it.
89 - Corner Huddersfield. Jones does well to block a cross from Smith.

(Hadn't realised MOTM Barnsley keeper Adam Davies is also ex-EFC academy player making his way back up the divisions.)

Preston North End - as mentioned in a post above, Tyias Browning out for six weeks with a knee injury. Not in match-day squad. No idea if it is same knee as he was recovering from.

Callum Connolly was unused sub for Wigan Athletic.

League One
Oxford United - Conor McAleny played full match and scored a hat-trick in 4-0 away win over Chesterfield.

OS Match Report
"There was a real intensity to United right from the start of the game, driven forward by Josh Ruffels and Liam Sercombe as a new-look midfield pairing, although the Spireites had a couple of early half chances go harmlessly wide of the mark before Man of the Match McAleny had the first effort on target of the afternoon, planting the ball too close to home keeper Thorsten Stuckmann in the ninth minute."
"Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was unlucky with a snap shot on the turn after 32 minutes that flew over the bar but on 35 minutes McAleny showed them both how to do it with a second quality strike in a week.
It all stemmed from Maguire sliding in to try and close down the keeper. He was unsuccessful but Stuckmann’s clearance was unconvincing and United were on it like a pack of wolves, hounding the defence and regaining the ball through Edwards. Hall, Ruffels and Sercombe moved it forward at pace and them McAleny showed brilliant technique to smash the bouncing ball into the top-left corner for a spectacular goal to give his side a 2-0 lead."
"Chesterfield, desperate for points at the wrong end of the table, started to throw men forward but United held the upper hand and on the hour were 3-0 up and home and hosed as McAleny put pressure on himself for Goal of the Season. Again the Yellows stormed forward with Sercombe prepared to carry the ball. Once it reached McAleny the Spireites seriously needed to get close to him, but instead backed off and invited a shot from distance. Big mistake. Boom, 3-0 and who knows which of his goals this week has been the most impressive?
And still he wasn’t finished. Sixty-nine minutes and the non-stop U’s hunted down the home defence once again, Sercombe stealing the ball and leaving McAleny to run free and coolly plant the ball home for a wonderful hat trick to cap a brilliant team performance from the Us."

Twitter stuff
9' The ball falls for McAleny who gets a shot away but it's straight at Thorsten Stuckmann.
36' A good build-up and when the ball runs to McALENY he curls his shot beautifully past Stuckmann.
46' Straight from kick off McAleny charges down the middle and gets a shot away that's blocked.
49' Brilliant pass inside by Martinez gets McAleny away but he's tackled for a corner.
60' Almost a carbon copy of his 1st. McAleny nicks the ball to Sercombe, receives the return and hammers home from 25 yds.
66' Superb run by McAleny across the Chesterfield defence before picking out Sercombe whose cross is blocked.
69' Chesterfield dally at the back. Sercombe pressures and the ball gets to MCALENY who completes his hat-trick.
72' Brilliant footwork by Rothwell to get in to the area. He cuts the ball back for McAleny who shoots inches wide.
89' Maguire and Rothwell combine to get the ball to McAleny whose shot is blocked for a corner.

Fan comments
"I like Conor he's great."
"One of the best individual performances I've seen in recent memory. Touch and close control superb. Finishing was ruthless."
"This lad is a talent. I could have sworn his (fantastic) second was going wide."
"MAPP certainly picks them... special signing and truly awesome performance"

League Two
Doncaster Rovers - Conor Grant played full match in 2-2 home draw with Accrington Stanley

OS Match Report
"The visitors took a shock lead with just four minutes gone when Shay McCarten robbed the ball from Conor Grant in midfield, charged half the length of the pitch and finished confidently past Ian Lawlor."

Twitter stuff
8' It's an in-swinger from Grant but it's eventually cleared by the Stanley defence. 0-1
19' Good work from Coppinger and Grant, sees the latter cross the ball to Tommy Rowe who beats Rodak at the second time of asking. 1-1
89' A cross from Grant finds the head of Marquis, but his headed effort goes wide. 2-2

Fan comments
"I've thought this since his return to us, and have kept it quiet until now, but after that performance it has to be said.
Does not look the same player who was with us before. Today his passing was poor, his movement was poor, his hesitance almost got caught out on numerous occasions. Overall poor performance. I'm not just going on today, like I say, I've not been impressed since he's come back to us. Looks a shadow of his former self. Hopefully he can turn his game around quickly and prove me wrong."
Rest of thread and replies

Morecambe - Anthony Evans started and was subbed in 70th minute of 1-0 home win against Grimsby Town

OS Match Report
"Danny Andrew looked to catch the hosts' stopper out after Zak Mills was brought down by Antony Evans on the right, but the full-back's free-kick sailed wide."
"The Shrimps were unlucky not to extend their lead when Evans made his way into the box from the right and chipped the ball up to Mullin, who somehow managed to plant his header onto the crossbar from just a few yards out."

Twitter stuff
CHANCE: Shrimps counter attack. Molyneux's ball in from the left headed down by Evans for Ellison to shoot. Well blocked!
CHANCE: Great run from Molyneux, gives it out wide to Evans. He crosses for Mullin who's header crashes against the bar!

Grimsby Town - Calum Dyson played full match in 0-1 away defeat to Morecambe

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
23: Dyson collects a cross at the far post but can't get his shot away as the hosts clear
54: Good work on the right by Mills but Wakefield is on hand to clear before Dyson can get there

Fan comment
"Dyson was poor as a 'target man' all game, everything bounced off him, whether on the ground or in the air."

Bundesliga
Eintracht Frankfurt - Shani Tarashaj started on the bench and came on in the 63rd minute of 0-2 away defeat to Hertha Berlin

(Fan comment: 'Tarashaj is a joke')

Premier League
Brendan Galloway was not in match-day squad for WBA.

Scottish Premier League
Russell Griffiths was an unused sub for Motherwell.

Championship
Barnsley - Gethin Jones played whole match and was booked in 1-1 draw with Huddersfield Town

OS Match Report
"The first yellow card was awarded to Gethin Jones for pulling back Elias Kachunga as he raced in on goal"

Twitter stuff
23 - Yellow card for Gethin Jones. A chance for Mooy to cross into the Reds area.
24 - Jones does well to head the initial delivery away under pressure, Huddersfield have a corner from it.
89 - Corner Huddersfield. Jones does well to block a cross from Smith.

(Hadn't realised MOTM Barnsley keeper Adam Davies is also ex-EFC academy player making his way back up the divisions.)

Preston North End - as mentioned in a post above, Tyias Browning out for six weeks with a knee injury. Not in match-day squad. No idea if it is same knee as he was recovering from.

Callum Connolly was unused sub for Wigan Athletic.

League One
Oxford United - Conor McAleny played full match and scored a hat-trick in 4-0 away win over Chesterfield.

OS Match Report
"There was a real intensity to United right from the start of the game, driven forward by Josh Ruffels and Liam Sercombe as a new-look midfield pairing, although the Spireites had a couple of early half chances go harmlessly wide of the mark before Man of the Match McAleny had the first effort on target of the afternoon, planting the ball too close to home keeper Thorsten Stuckmann in the ninth minute."
"Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was unlucky with a snap shot on the turn after 32 minutes that flew over the bar but on 35 minutes McAleny showed them both how to do it with a second quality strike in a week.
It all stemmed from Maguire sliding in to try and close down the keeper. He was unsuccessful but Stuckmann’s clearance was unconvincing and United were on it like a pack of wolves, hounding the defence and regaining the ball through Edwards. Hall, Ruffels and Sercombe moved it forward at pace and them McAleny showed brilliant technique to smash the bouncing ball into the top-left corner for a spectacular goal to give his side a 2-0 lead."
"Chesterfield, desperate for points at the wrong end of the table, started to throw men forward but United held the upper hand and on the hour were 3-0 up and home and hosed as McAleny put pressure on himself for Goal of the Season. Again the Yellows stormed forward with Sercombe prepared to carry the ball. Once it reached McAleny the Spireites seriously needed to get close to him, but instead backed off and invited a shot from distance. Big mistake. Boom, 3-0 and who knows which of his goals this week has been the most impressive?
And still he wasn’t finished. Sixty-nine minutes and the non-stop U’s hunted down the home defence once again, Sercombe stealing the ball and leaving McAleny to run free and coolly plant the ball home for a wonderful hat trick to cap a brilliant team performance from the Us."

Twitter stuff
9' The ball falls for McAleny who gets a shot away but it's straight at Thorsten Stuckmann.
36' A good build-up and when the ball runs to McALENY he curls his shot beautifully past Stuckmann.
46' Straight from kick off McAleny charges down the middle and gets a shot away that's blocked.
49' Brilliant pass inside by Martinez gets McAleny away but he's tackled for a corner.
60' Almost a carbon copy of his 1st. McAleny nicks the ball to Sercombe, receives the return and hammers home from 25 yds.
66' Superb run by McAleny across the Chesterfield defence before picking out Sercombe whose cross is blocked.
69' Chesterfield dally at the back. Sercombe pressures and the ball gets to MCALENY who completes his hat-trick.
72' Brilliant footwork by Rothwell to get in to the area. He cuts the ball back for McAleny who shoots inches wide.
89' Maguire and Rothwell combine to get the ball to McAleny whose shot is blocked for a corner.

Fan comments
"I like Conor he's great."
"One of the best individual performances I've seen in recent memory. Touch and close control superb. Finishing was ruthless."
"This lad is a talent. I could have sworn his (fantastic) second was going wide."
"MAPP certainly picks them... special signing and truly awesome performance"

League Two
Doncaster Rovers - Conor Grant played full match in 2-2 home draw with Accrington Stanley

OS Match Report
"The visitors took a shock lead with just four minutes gone when Shay McCarten robbed the ball from Conor Grant in midfield, charged half the length of the pitch and finished confidently past Ian Lawlor."

Twitter stuff
8' It's an in-swinger from Grant but it's eventually cleared by the Stanley defence. 0-1
19' Good work from Coppinger and Grant, sees the latter cross the ball to Tommy Rowe who beats Rodak at the second time of asking. 1-1
89' A cross from Grant finds the head of Marquis, but his headed effort goes wide. 2-2

Fan comments
"I've thought this since his return to us, and have kept it quiet until now, but after that performance it has to be said.
Does not look the same player who was with us before. Today his passing was poor, his movement was poor, his hesitance almost got caught out on numerous occasions. Overall poor performance. I'm not just going on today, like I say, I've not been impressed since he's come back to us. Looks a shadow of his former self. Hopefully he can turn his game around quickly and prove me wrong."
Rest of thread and replies

Morecambe - Anthony Evans started and was subbed in 70th minute of 1-0 home win against Grimsby Town

OS Match Report
"Danny Andrew looked to catch the hosts' stopper out after Zak Mills was brought down by Antony Evans on the right, but the full-back's free-kick sailed wide."
"The Shrimps were unlucky not to extend their lead when Evans made his way into the box from the right and chipped the ball up to Mullin, who somehow managed to plant his header onto the crossbar from just a few yards out."

Twitter stuff
CHANCE: Shrimps counter attack. Molyneux's ball in from the left headed down by Evans for Ellison to shoot. Well blocked!
CHANCE: Great run from Molyneux, gives it out wide to Evans. He crosses for Mullin who's header crashes against the bar!

Grimsby Town - Calum Dyson played full match in 0-1 away defeat to Morecambe

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
23: Dyson collects a cross at the far post but can't get his shot away as the hosts clear
54: Good work on the right by Mills but Wakefield is on hand to clear before Dyson can get there

Fan comment
"Dyson was poor as a 'target man' all game, everything bounced off him, whether on the ground or in the air."

Bundesliga
Eintracht Frankfurt - Shani Tarashaj started on the bench and came on in the 63rd minute of 0-2 away defeat to Hertha Berlin

(Fan comment: 'Tarashaj is a joke')

...that fan comment on Tarashaj says a lot.

played a lot of games recently, plus they have another in midweek. we wouldnt expect davies to start every match for us.
Yes I think so. I saw comments from their manager saying how the younger players at Wigan didn't have the same stamina as older ones and that some had come to them not having played a lot of football. I didn't take it as a criticism of anybody they had just a statement of how it was .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back