Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Young EFC Players Out On Loan 16-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the regular updates @atrottel . Certainly doesn't appear as though the moves have worked out thus far, but it's great to have the updates nonetheless.

Except for Russel Griffiths though as he has been playing regularly and the small snippets seem to suggest he is doing ok. The others though appear to have gone backwards.

Championship
Ipswich Town - Conor Grant not in match day squad.

Wigan Athletic - Luke Garbutt started on bench and came on in 31st minute of 0-0 away draw at Barnsley

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
30mins, 0-0: Nick Powell comes off injured. Replaced by Luke Garbutt, who goes to left midfield, Jacobs slides infield
33mins, 0-0:First appearance for @luke_garbutt since September 10, ten game abscence
59mins, 0-0: CHANCE, Morgan heads just wide from Garbutt corner
65mins, 0-0:CHANCE. Superb ball in behind for Wildschut from Garbutt but he probably shot too early and it was gathered
67mins, 0-0: Couple of sniffs for Latics, both from Garbutt corners. Getting closer

Fan comment
"The substitution that killed our chances for me, was Powell being replaced by Garbutt. What was that all about?"

League Two
Cheltenham Town - Russell Griffiths played full match in 1-1 home draw with Portsmouth

OS Match Report
"Portsmouth’s first chance came just a few minutes later when Kyle Bennett played a clever one-two inside the box and unleashed a side-footed shot, but Russell Griffiths was equal to it to push the ball away.
And the Everton-loanee had to be on his toes again on 23 minutes when Wright headed the ball back towards his own goal and somehow Griffiths managed to block it with his feet."
"Just before half time Portsmouth should have taken the lead when a dangerous cross was whipped directly into the path of Carl Baker, but his diving header was fantastically saved by Griffiths.
After the break it was the away side who started stronger as Gary Roberts and Conor Chapman both had their efforts saved by Griffiths."
"And Cheltenham lived to regret that miss as with just seven minutes to go Portsmouth found an equaliser when Griffiths spilled a shot, leaving substitute Smith to prod the ball in from close range."

Twitter stuff
24: Great save from Griffiths- a free-kick comes in and it hits Danny Wright but Griffiths does well to keep it out with his legs. Still 0-0
35: Baker hits a smart volley from 25 yards that Griffiths does well to get across and save.
41: What a save from Russ Griffiths! The @everton loanee does brilliantly to deny Baker's diving header from 7 yards.
47: Roberts is through on goal for @officialpompey but his curling shot is well saved by Griffiths.

Fan comment
"The sponsors failing to give the MotM award to Griffiths is almost as shocking as some of the refs decisions. Dickie had a good game but without Griffiths we would have been absolutely bloody tonked today. In the end Griffiths spilling the ball for their equaliser is easily forgiven due to the number he kept out."

Hasn't been in the squad for quite a few matches (including Sunday). He was injured earlier this season and apparently had his tonsils out in the international break. Mine of useless information, me.

Ah, saw a few comments the other day in the German media that he'd been playing well.

That may well have been referring to the game vs Hamburg, though.

@atrottel - Grant come back from Ipswich now hasn't he mate?

Wasn't getting any game time I think. Which is a worry because Town are utterly awful.
Yes, saw that in the Youth Teams thread. Bit of a disaster all around so far this season with loans (apart from Griffiths doing well most of the time with Cheltenham). You'd have to think he will be joining Ledson and Lundstram in the lower divisions given his age, the competition in the club and the opportunities he has had to break through

Yes, saw that in the Youth Teams thread. Bit of a disaster all around so far this season with loans (apart from Griffiths doing well most of the time with Cheltenham). You'd have to think he will be joining Ledson and Lundstram in the lower divisions given his age, the competition in the club and the opportunities he has had to break through

Shame as he seems a nice lad, and looked alright the very few times i've seen him. I guess it's a different ball game when they play in proper leagues.
Something we should be wary of when we call for Koeman to use our young lads. It's not always easy to make the transition.

Shame as he seems a nice lad, and looked alright the very few times i've seen him. I guess it's a different ball game when they play in proper leagues.
Something we should be wary of when we call for Koeman to use our young lads. It's not always easy to make the transition.

...yep, I made that point in the last day or so. If these lads are good enough they really should be standing out on loan in the lower divisions. Walsh did it to great effect at Yeovil which gives me the right vibes about him. I suppose the counter argument could be Barkley who was hardly a major success at Leeds or Sheffield Wednesday, but I still think it's a strong indicator if they go on loan and become the best player in that side.

Premier League
West Bromwich Albion - Brendan Galloway was unused sub in 1-1 away draw at Hull City

League Two
Cheltenham Town - Russell Griffiths played full match in 1-3 away defeat at Cambridge United

OS Match Report
"It took just seven minutes for Cambridge to take the lead as Ikpeazu was given space on the left hand side of the box to turn and unleash a deflected shot, which was wrong-footed Russell Griffiths to nestle into the far bottom corner of the net."
"Things got even worse for Cheltenham 20 minutes later when Berry picked up the ball on the edge of the box, took it to the right and hit a low shot past Griffiths and into the bottom left corner."

Twitter and fan stuff
No real comments about the game but Griffiths seems to being spared the general abuse that the manager, team and most other loan players are getting.

Bundesliga
Shani Tarashaj was not in matchday squad for Eintracht Frankfurt.

Championship
Wigan Athletic - Luke Garbutt played full match and was booked in 2-1 away win over Huddersfield Town

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
62 ' #htafc 1-2 #wafc The John Smiths stadium rings out with boos as Wells goes down in the box from Garbutt tackle. NO PENALTY!
72' #htafc 1-2 #wafc CHANGE FOR LATICS Dan Burn comes on for goalscorer Reece Burke. Looks like Garbutt going right and Stevie W left

Garbutt in at RB today for Wigan. I know he needs games, but is playing him out of position doing more harm than good?

...generally speaking, our players need to be impressing if they are likely to make the step up at Premier level. Even if a team is struggling, the character and ability of the loanee will be tested. If they are struggling for game time I fear it's a bad sign. In recent times I think only Liam Walsh has had a truly positive impact on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back