Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Young EFC Players Out On Loan 16-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffiths has done well in the games I have seen. In terms of priority of signings, there are other areas of the pitch which need strengthened ahead of goalkeeper.

Obviously always nice to have better players in each position. But realistically, in January we are going to have to focus on the need to haves, not nice to haves.

I agree : he has done some excellent shot stopping .. some games has deserved MotM... still young... one mistake and the knives are out on the vipers nest ..

I think the criticism of Griffiths is OTT and he doesn't deserve that. A young keeper still learning his trade, and he will become a top keeper in a few short years when keepers reach maturity in their late 20's.

Some nice comments about Griffiths from that Cheltenham Forum, although there are also less positive ones on there

League Two
Cheltenham Town - Russell Griffiths played whole match in 1-2 home defeat to Barnet

OS Match Report

Twitter stuff
Straight down the other end Akinde hits the post for @BarnetFC! His shot from an angle beat Griffiths but not the woodwork
55: @BarnetFC hit the post! Griffiths gets down to his left to push away the first shot and Gambin, following up, hits the post #CTFC

Fan comments
"No more time for excuses. Griffiths has to go."
"Although I believe Griffiths is a liability, some of the abuse he received by some 'fans' today was unacceptable."
"Griffiths took a lot of flak from the C&G today and I'm not convinced but you can't win games with the way we are defending and it's dragging the rest down."
"I want to support Griffiths, I really do, but you cannot get away with constantly pushing the ball into danger. He did it again after they scored their second and, but for the player scuffing it wide, we should have gone 3-1 down. I'd certainly play Calum Kitscha on Friday night, if only to take the heat off Russ."

Brendan Galloway was an unused sub in WBA's game.

Luke Garbutt was not in matchday squad for Wigan.

Yes probably.

We've got a few players like him tbh. Leandro, the young(ish) striker we've got with the nice hair, Henen, the Swiss lad warming the bench in Germany, all 22/23 years old and all not looking like they'll be in the first team any time soon. You could even put people like Pennington in there (sorry Mikey). Guys of that age need to be playing regularly really and they won't be doing so for us.

You could easily see 10 players moved on in January without it impacting our first team at all, it's just a case of who would have any of them.

We've got a few players like him tbh. Leandro, the young(ish) striker we've got with the nice hair, Henen, the Swiss lad warming the bench in Germany, all 22/23 years old and all not looking like they'll be in the first team any time soon. You could even put people like Pennington in there (sorry Mikey). Guys of that age need to be playing regularly really and they won't be doing so for us.

You could easily see 10 players moved on in January without it impacting our first team at all, it's just a case of who would have any of them.
I was just thinking of that Leandro.

You wouldn't put money on him getting a senior appearance.

I think part of it is just luck - bad or good - at the crucial stage of moving between youth and senior squads. A run of injuries at the wrong time (Pennington, Browning, Garbutt?) or a loss of form and thus momentum (Garbutt, Galloway?) and your chance of making it, slim though it statistically already is, becomes immeasurably harder.

I also frequently remember the tale of Gus Caesar from Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch. Sometimes you make it all the way through, you've been a star for the youth teams and the first team is just within your grasp - and you finally discover you aren't quite as good as you believed you could be (Grant, Baxter, Ledson, Anichebe, etc.).

If you look at the squad, you've got Pennington, Leandro, McAleny, Niasse, McGeady, Gibson, Grant, Kone and Garbutt that are over 20 years of age and haven't made a senior start this season. We could lose all of them and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the first team imo. We've accumulated a massively bloated squad in recent years, with a lot of that pretty low quality. I've given a bit of slack to Browning and Dowell, who also haven't made any appearances this year, and who knows about Tarashaj and Henen?

A good January for me would be some good quality bought in (maybe 3 players), and at least 10 shipped out.

There are about 10/11 backup players at this club who won't contribute much or even play for this club (not good enough?). And the club is paying them wages week in week out. It must be real hard to get rid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back