2023/24 Youssef Chermiti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Younger players that immediately produce goals and sensational attacking moments are probably not going to be at everton currently, as that's a rare type of special player. One that can develop into something is what we can recruit and patience is going to be required. It took Dom a couple seasons to hone his skills and some fans still don't rate him, regardless of that perspective he's still made significant progress over the years and nothing is guaranteed but I think chermiti displays some potential to be a quality
I agree with you there . Our set up is such that any very good youngster in our youth system would be identified quickly by other clubs and we’d sell on , and we can’t compete with the likes of City and Chelsea to buy outstanding youngsters from other clubs. Chermiti is clearly no Yarmal/ Mainoo , but he’s from the pool we can afford to fish in. It’s sad to see the same comments being churned out as last season when the biggest factor for me was that he got 74 mins in his first 14 games or whatever, and somehow the expectation was he’d score lots of goals. Maybe we should just support one of our young players and see how he progresses this season.

I don’t think he has shown anywhere near as much as Simms, either in the first team or in the U23’s.
I definitely expect more from Chermiti than Beto though, just by the default of less minutes.

Simms made 12 first team appearances for Everton. He showed more in the lower leagues because he had the opportunity.

….but is he better than Simms or even Cannon? It’s a reasonable question asked by some.
It doesn't really matter if they are or aren't. We had to sell both of those to avoid more PSR issues, being homegrown they helped immensely, you've been told this multiple times now.

I don't think an impactful session awaits and nor should we expect one. As it stands we need to hope DCL stays fit all season AND our wingers produce more in the final third, or that a more proven striker than Chermiti joins to supplement our attack. Cherms, as long as he's training well, should get plenty of minutes and opportunity to show he's improving though, but if we're pinning our hopes on him then we need to be looking at the bottom three.

I'm torn on what to do with Chermiti, my head is telling me he probably needs a season long loan, I doubt he is going to get much playing time as a #3 striker, unless we suddenly start playing two strikers in a 4-4-2 which I can't see Dyche doing. I think we see what happens with Dom, then determine what to do with Chermiti.

….but is he better than Simms or even Cannon? It’s a reasonable question asked by some.

Given the differences in age, the question is the answer

For context...

Simms 24 in Jan
Cannon 22 in Dec
Chermiti 21 in May

DCL comparison would be the 2017/18 season where he played 1876 minutes (20+ games worth of mins) 18 starts / 14 sub and scored 4 goals.

What I saw with Chermiti was positioning, technique, control and awareness + he also made an effort to press and win the ball.

I think hes a different type of centre forward than we've seen before but cant compare with anyone or judge him just yet.

My hope is that with a good preseason he can push Dyche to make a positive decision to be 2nd choice. That gives Thelwell/Dyche another decision to make on Beto with the Bologna interest, i doubt we keep him as 3rd choice.

For context...

Simms 24 in Jan
Cannon 22 in Dec
Chermiti 21 in May

DCL comparison would be the 2017/18 season where he played 1876 minutes (20+ games worth of mins) 18 starts / 14 sub and scored 4 goals.

What I saw with Chermiti was positioning, technique, control and awareness + he also made an effort to press and win the ball.

I think hes a different type of centre forward than we've seen before but cant compare with anyone or judge him just yet.

My hope is that with a good preseason he can push Dyche to make a positive decision to be 2nd choice. That gives Thelwell/Dyche another decision to make on Beto with the Bologna interest, i doubt we keep him as 3rd choice.

….ha, ha, I didn’t see much awareness at Arsenal when we broke, Chermiti had players free to his left and right yet he bundled straight into one of the only defenders who was back.

I didn’t see awareness, positioning and technique when he shot over the Gwladys St bar when through on goal. A striker has awareness of where he is, where the goal is and where the keeper is. I was wanting him to demonstrate what good forwards do, a clean strike away from the keeper inside the far post but he just hit it straight and high over the keepers head. Even had he hit it wide, I’d have been ok.

Two moments when I wanted him to just show me he could be the real deal.

Last summer you were declaring the fantastic deals we had with Beto and Chermiti and already you want Beto gone, let’s hope you’re right with Chermiti being the answer, it’s a big pre-season for the lad :bye:

Last edited:

….ha, ha, I didn’t see much awareness at Arsenal when we broke, Chermiti had players free to his left and right yet he bundled straight into one of the only defenders who was back.

I didn’t see awareness, positioning and technique when he shot over the Gwladys St bar when through on goal. A striker has awareness of where he is, where the goal is and where the keeper is. I was wanting him to demonstrate what good forwards do, a clean strike away from the keeper inside the far post but he just hit it straight and high over the keepers head. Even had he hit it wide, I’d have been ok.

Two moments when I wanted him to just show me he could be the real deal.

Last summer you were declaring the fantastic deals we had with Beto and Chermiti and already you want Beto gone, let’s hope you’re right with Chermiti being the answer :bye:

Interesting. I just looked back at my posts and found the following:

1: Beto being 6'4 aligns with Dyche wanting big players (Onana/Branthwaite/DCL)

2: I would prefer El Bilal Toure to Beto

3: Should be negotiating for Balogun and Wahi at similar amount as were offering for El Bilal Toure. Then down to Beto & Dia of those linked

4: Id rather we signed Gnonto than Beto

5: Id rather sign Dia than Beto

6: Good to get 2 Portuguese in as it may help them settle.

7: Perhaps we can flip Beto in 12months time.

So not at all as you have just posted. In fact Ive always stuck to seeing Beto as a deferred payment player who if we can flip this summer would mean we got him for a season at around breakeven.

I think the forum knows by now that whoever Thelwell signs you wont like them but thats a hatchet job on Chermiti.

Put it out there...... he is going to be our main striker this upcoming season!

Looking good in training with some very nice touches.

Just lets hope he can also find the back of the net more so than other strikers in recent years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back