Match Thread Everton v Man United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were our own worst enemy tonight. Constantly giving the ball away. Both their goals game from us needlessly losing possession. Many more times as well. One of the first things I was taught as a kid was dont wait for the ball to come to you, you've got to move to the ball. We stood and watched at times when the ball was played to one of us. It's basics. If you dont get the basics right you're asking for trouble.
All this.
City made Utd. look a poor team, we made them look a decent one.
But to me they have only the 7th-ish trophy in their sights while we are looking a bit lower and not to having to repeat last seasons dicing with death scenario.

They’ve got into a bad habit of defending a lead mentality, got away with it the last couple of weeks but today the goal came too early for that tactic
Today reminded of the final against Chelsea, granted not as early a goal, but still had the feeling that it undermined our game plan to a degree then spent too long on the back foot and ultimately end up chasing the game.

It's a work in progress at the end of the day, yes perhaps we should be beating them today given their European match and topsy-turvy form but we are not "entitled" to win, we have to earn it and I think given some progression this season we will be up there in next few seasons and really compete.

Given last season, I would take our results so far, just not the manner of the 1st half.

There is a nucleus forming. We will see progress but we will also see days like today, we don't have to accept them readily but we do have to temper expectation, for now.

I've just seen the game. I'm totally perplexed by that, especially the first hour. I thought the long run without losses was supposed to build some sort of confidence?

Man U were there to be beaten, and we just let them have the ball. I'd even forgotten we'd scored.

Correct

But that doesn't mean we should be ok with losing at home to a mediocre united team. We should be very annoyed and demand a reaction.
That mediocre team have just beat Liverpool & Arsenal.
Not the best Utd team by a long shot , but a midfield & forward line stacked with World Class talent.

With a bit of luck we could even had a point or even 3.
Poor performance by all our players undone by 2 bad mistakes but yet we hung in there.
That gives me hope.

That mediocre team have just beat Liverpool & Arsenal.
Not the best Utd team by a long shot , but a midfield & forward line stacked with World Class talent.

With a bit of luck we could even had a point or even 3.
Poor performance by all our players undone by 2 bad mistakes but yet we hung in there.
That gives me hope.
They arent a good side for me. Very much less than the sum of their parts.

We need to get out of the idea that losing at home is ever ok. We dont put a high enough price on teams coming into our building and winning anymore. 2 losses in 5 is very bad.

The goals we conceded were dreadful. Gave me bad memories of the debacles we saw last year. Hopefully just a blip but players need to take responsibility.

Capture.PNG

Just wanted to point a couple of things out. I didn't watch to see what happened before, but Mykolenko is on the wrong side of him (could be because of the buildup play before) especially when Antony is left footed. Secondly Antony starts behind Mykolenko.

Capture 2.PNG

Antony is super quick and Man United are dangerous on the break.

1665358265349.png

Great play here from Man United to drag the Everton back four out of position and get Casemiro a completely free header. (Someone like Ben Godfrey 3 at the back) could defend this better. My guess is when everyone is fit, it'll be Coady, Tarky and Godfrey particularly against the top 6.

Last edited:
They arent a good side for me. Very much less than the sum of their parts.

We need to get out of the idea that losing at home is ever ok. We dont put a high enough price on teams coming into our building and winning anymore. 2 losses in 5 is very bad.

The goals we conceded were dreadful. Gave me bad memories of the debacles we saw last year. Hopefully just a blip but players need to take responsibility.
Very poor game for us , but let's not over react & make out we are some sort of invincible team....cos we' re not.

There's a very long way to go for this team to go to be considered a good side .
This will be a long hard & slow process to where we want to be.

Very poor game for us , but let's not over react & make out we are some sort of invincible team....cos we' re not.

There's a very long way to go for this team to go to be considered a good side .
This will be a long hard & slow process to where we want to be.
It will be a process and we need to see a response. But I'm just not happy with those goals we conceded. Basic errors and playing exactly into Uniteds hands.

I dont like losing at home and we need to start valuing our home record more. Its the main reason we have struggled in recent years. We've never had a top away record so home form needs to be our priority.

Still in disbelief about that performance. I can’t even say that United played well at all. We just played very poorly and gave them all the chances in the world.

My biggest take away is the lack of concentration from us. You would think after Iwobi’s goal we would have kept it up but it was the exact opposite. I was definitely surprised that given the number of leaders on this team… Coleman, Coady, Tarks, Iwobi, Gana. Nobody seemed to want to step up and take command.

I’m writing this off as a bad day at the office. It’s one game. Will it be the last? No. We are a much better side than what we showed today. Keep the faith. UTFT

1665358505612.png

This isn't Coleman's fault, this is on Frank (and I like what he's doing a lot), but 433 is vulnerable on the counter.

Man United got given this victory, two very cheap goals that could be avoided because tactically we were in a lot of trouble once we gave the ball away.

It will be a process and we need to see a response. But I'm just not happy with those goals we conceded. Basic errors and playing exactly into Uniteds hands.

I dont like losing at home and we need to start valuing our home record more. Its the main reason we have struggled in recent years. We've never had a top away record so home form needs to be our priority.
That’s what upsets me the most. I can live with an opposing side playing the game of their lives but us committing basic errors that lead to goals is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.