How can EFC shake off fan short-termism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club has tried pretty much everything now re managers. We now have turned to a young, up and coming manager in Frank Lampard, who is now being turned on by some after some bad results

Is sacking manager after manager the answer? Or would the ability to weather bad runs, without wielding the axe, ultimately create more stability and result in some success?

Do some fans perhaps need to learn how to be more patient and resilient through bad runs?
I have had a few Guinness, but the game doesn't support patience. It's changed. The financial risk of failure is huge.

Relegation = no sexy prem money.

For certain clubs finishing outside the champions league places = big financial woes

For others just not winning something is a mortal threat. Those lucrative sponsorships and overseas fan interest rely on it.

This then translates to angst. Which is mediated and reflected ever more instantly in current society.

I.e. there's less room for error or forgiveness.

Turn off the mad money and turn off the Internet (sorry GOT). Think shiz would work better.

The club has tried pretty much everything now re managers. We now have turned to a young, up and coming manager in Frank Lampard, who is now being turned on by some after some bad results

Is sacking manager after manager the answer? Or would the ability to weather bad runs, without wielding the axe, ultimately create more stability and result in some success?

Do some fans perhaps need to learn how to be more patient and resilient through bad runs?

Hi Legend,

Thanks for the post, I feel it raises a very valid point.

I think for the fans that travel week in week out (and there are many who do it as part of their life) there is a point where you simply will not stand there clapping. It’s cost you a fortune, and you haven’t seen a battle. As let’s face it, I could see Everton lose 5-4 and at least I’ve seen us score and an entertaining game for my hard earned Inflation hit, gas price hit, fuel price hit, food price hit, money. That’s the reality of weathering bad runs in one of the world’s top leagues using 500 players out of 6 billions people.

The manager doesn’t kick the ball, they set the standard as an ethos that has to be bought into. And even then it may be misguided and the players left with egg on their face.

Since Carlo Ancelotti left when we were at least achieving the inconsistency of other mid table teams, things have gotten to Everton curse levels. We changed the manager a couple of times and brought in well over half a new team over a short period of time, and we are still crap. It’s inexplicable. We could tout the best recruiters in the premier league, and they’d just take the money and laugh whilst doing a crap job.

This can’t be all franks doing, so is sacking him going to help? Still the same players for the new manager.

Our support is relentless, tremendous, and proud. This is a very tough subject.

I have had a few Guinness, but the game doesn't support patience. It's changed. The financial risk of failure is huge.

For certain clubs finishing outside the champions league places = big financial woes

For others just not winning something is a mortal threat. Those lucrative sponsorships and overseas fan interest rely on it.

This then translates to angst. Which is mediated and reflected ever more instantly in current society.

Turn off the mad money and turn off the Internet (sorry GOT). Think shiz would work better.

I think it's time for a couple of shots and then bed before the philosophical stage transitions to the hopelessness of it all stage.

Thankfully for it's not as catastophic for him to get the welly as the average lad on GOT.
If you are a Tesco delivery driver and make huge mistakes you're gone, no sympathy.
So being in 17th place, playing awful tedious football , forfeitng a cup and with no signs whatsoever of improving does really warrant a look at his position. It's how it is.

Teams should be more patient than they are even in the modern climate. At the same time when it is broken it is broken. My issue with Frank isn't really the position we're in right now so much as it is I can't see a way to any time of even mid table mediocrity, much less beyond that. It's why I was on Frank weeks ago. Yes the results are bad but the signs beyond the results are horrendous. We might actually be overperforming how we're playing with the number of points we have. It's that bad.

I think it's time for a couple of shots and then bed before the philosophical stage transitions to the hopelessness of it all stage.
I've actually resorted to a cup of tea and a banana whilst waiting for my curry to bake (Jaffery recipie, it's ace). So hopelessness is at bay for now.

Yeah, my wife ain't a big drinker so made me leave the pub. Ffs. There's baileys in the house, so maybe I'll get to hopeless after all.

Curse you Everton, curse you!

Teams should be more patient than they are even in the modern climate. At the same time when it is broken it is broken. My issue with Frank isn't really the position we're in right now so much as it is I can't see a way to any time of even mid table mediocrity, much less beyond that. It's why I was on Frank weeks ago. Yes the results are bad but the signs beyond the results are horrendous. We might actually be overperforming how we're playing with the number of points we have. It's that bad.
Christ mate, leave us some hope will ya?

I think there’s just a growing group of fans, certainly match going ones, who are already moody before they hit the turnstiles. It’s toxic before it’s even begun.

Done a few this year, and the atmosphere is just hostile and it really doesn’t help the situation.

The others I think are just frustrated. Spend hard earned money to watch performances like that and on Wednesday.

For me, I just find it really disheartening that I can watch Newcastle dismantle Chelsea with ease, Brentford spring a result against City, Forest beat Liverpool. Leeds and Leicester playing entertaining football.

Then there’s us… we just play rigid, boring and dull football. It’s been this way since Martinez era, and I don’t know how we fix it?

Everton’s a big part of my life and when I get excited through the week to see us turn up line that, I feel like losing my head. It’s garbage. I don’t care if we’re rubbish, I just want a side which will run through brick walls for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.