The impending forward crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

He’s an awful header of a ball mate, eyes closed stuff, he can get up there and isn’t afraid of the challenge but wouldn’t be confident he could produce output.
I wouldn't see him as a CF scoring goals, but he could win balls and and press centre backs all day long.

This is where we are though.

If Calvert-Lewin is injured we're down to Simms (ignored by multiple Everton managers so far) or Maupay (who can never play up top on his own). Even keeping hold of Rondon would have been preferable to those two.

We either adapt a player to play emergency target man or we find another way without a target man.

I wouldn't see him as a CF scoring goals, but he could win balls and and press centre backs all day long.

This is where we are though.

If Calvert-Lewin is injured we're down to Simms (ignored by multiple Everton managers so far) or Maupay (who can never play up top on his own). Even keeping hold of Rondon would have been preferable to those two.

We either adapt a player to play emergency target man or we find another way without a target man.

Has to be Simms really for how we will play mate. He was doing that role for Sunderland.

All he has to do is occupy defenders, get in the 6 yard box in the first phase, add to the overload of big bodies up there for set peices - this is the way.

Else wise we’re counter attacking with either Maupay or Demari.

These are the options really.

Simms needs to start getting minutes off the bench and be groomed as DCL's back up because Maupay can't fulfill that on his own role he is better off a target man, Simms has the body type and can score so he needs to refine his game and needs to up his work rate if he ever wants to start regularly. I agree it was scandalous we didn't bring any forwards in because we can't rely on Dom being fit for every match, but given Dyche got a tune out of the likes of Wood and Barnes I think he can make do.

Gray would have to see a massive improvement in that aspect of his game. The last few matches he played he's obviously a livewire going forward but very poor in terms of defensive work and choosing where to press / close channels. It's little wonder whichever fullback is behind him often gets caught short as they're constantly double teamed by opposition wise to Gray's shortcomings.
Can't see Gray starting on a wing for Dyche unless its a game against a team sitting in. More likely to see him off a front man or as a striker as others have said. He isn't disciplined enough for Dychey

A lot of strikers are decent in the Championship, better than Simms was, but just not PL quality.
Maupay scored 25 goals in 43 appearances in the Championship at the same age that Simms is now, having scored 7 goals in 17 appearances. Simms just doesn't have the experience, but whatever you think of his ability, Maupay can score and has long had a reputation for disrupting the opposition. In the Premier League, Maupay has scored about once in four appearances, even with being underutilized by Everton. He's been used as a late sub 7 times, but significantly started 2 of our 4 wins. I also think it's interesting that he scored the lone goal in one of those, and Dwight McNeil score the winning goal in the other. Those are two players largely abandoned by Frank and I hope to see them both do more under Dyche. Maupay has had the most success as part of a striker partnership, which I really do think could work with Demarai Gray in some matchups, but even working alone, he has a reputation for hard work and helping to make things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.