2021/22 Richarlison

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't that bad though, was he?

He was poor by his standards after actually making a very impressive start to the season. Had the suspension and injury and when he came back fully we were playing 4 CBs at the back with Richarlison basically playing on top of Godfrey for a few games.

He moved up front in Jan/Feb time and suddenly looked half like himself again.

Yes, overall he had a poor season, in extremely strange circumstances with no fans which he thrives off. But he wasn't some dreadful League One standard player. He scored 13 goals in all comps in 40 games. It's not up to his usual standard but in terms of raw numbers not far off what he got in his other seasons, and he didn't play particularly well for an extended run.

As for your 'not expecting much better' - well he was brilliant against Southampton. He isn't a number 10 and struggled there v Leeds, he worked hard and played okay v Brighton, the penalty incident marred it. His only other game was against Burnley up against two grock CBs with us punting it long. He didn't play badly at all.

I thought he was absolutely woeful last season. Couldn't beat a man to save his life (he still cant tbh), couldn't pass and it felt like every attack would break down every time he got the ball in a promising position. It was a real stinker of a year imo.

I just don't see any signs that he's going to suddenly tear it up for us on a consistent basis and i don't think hes a better footballer today than he was when he first joined us. I think he's already peaked at Everton tbh. I do think he could comfortably notch 20+ goals a season at somewhere like PSG though where he will have world class players putting it on a plate for him all day long.

Hopefully this post gets vaulted to death at the end of the season but id be surprised if that were the case.

I thought he was absolutely woeful last season. Couldn't beat a man to save his life (he still cant tbh), couldn't pass and it felt like every attack would break down every time he got the ball in a promising position. It was a real stinker of a year imo.

I just don't see any signs that he's going to suddenly tear it up for us on a consistent basis and i don't think hes a better footballer today than he was when he first joined us. I think he's already peaked at Everton tbh. I do think he could comfortably notch 20+ goals a season at somewhere like PSG though where he will have world class players putting it on a plate for him all day long.

Hopefully this post gets vaulted to death at the end of the season but id be surprised if that were the case.

He's never been about beating a ban with skill though? It's why you don't get the best out of him playing him too wide. Equally, you can't play him as a CF and then play long ball, because he isn't that type of player. He wants passes in behind like we saw in the Anfield derby or that Southampton game at home, or the Spurs cup game. Into the channels.

He's had two good years and one poor year. He's 24. He played 68 games from project restart up until the Burnley game for club and country. Hopefully when he comes back the team are playing with a bit more composure in games too and we can find a way to get the best out of him and Dom.

It'd be nice to see us try a 4-3-3 more but we just don't have the midfield options, despite there being six of the bloody players.

He wasn't that bad though, was he?

He was poor by his standards after actually making a very impressive start to the season. Had the suspension and injury and when he came back fully we were playing 4 CBs at the back with Richarlison basically playing on top of Godfrey for a few games.

He moved up front in Jan/Feb time and suddenly looked half like himself again.

Yes, overall he had a poor season, in extremely strange circumstances with no fans which he thrives off. But he wasn't some dreadful League One standard player. He scored 13 goals in all comps in 40 games. It's not up to his usual standard but in terms of raw numbers not far off what he got in his other seasons, and he didn't play particularly well for an extended run.

As for your 'not expecting much better' - well he was brilliant against Southampton. He isn't a number 10 and struggled there v Leeds, he worked hard and played okay v Brighton, the penalty incident marred it. His only other game was against Burnley up against two grock CBs with us punting it long. He didn't play badly at all.
He needs to stay on his feet though, gets so engrossed in moaning he loses his own momentum and holds back the team. Talented but in need of straightening his head out.

Magnificent, moody, scowling Brazilian Pigeon. We will miss him so much when he goes, he brings so much to the team. I don’t just mean goals either, look at the work he gets through every week, watch how opposition defences panic when he makes a run into the box, with or without the ball. This creates space for others because Richarlison often catches the attention of 2 defenders and drags them out of position.

He is the one player we have who terrifies opposition defenders on a very regular basis.

Magnificent, moody, scowling Brazilian Pigeon. We will miss him so much when he goes, he brings so much to the team. I don’t just mean goals either, look at the work he gets through every week, watch how opposition defences panic when he makes a run into the box, with or without the ball. This creates space for others because Richarlison often catches the attention of 2 defenders and drags them out of position.

He is the one player we have who terrifies opposition defenders on a very regular basis.
Oh no we're doing the "his presence opens things up" thing that's the kiss of death

Even if not fit I might be tempted to stick him on the bench against United instead of Lonergan. They won't know he's not coming on but will give them something to think about. It's 3/9 so we could play that mind game.

??? The more I see your posts the more I think that you’ve never played a game of football in your life.
I've never played at a pro level and neither have you more than likely so who cares about our Sunday league careers? Unless you have been a pro in which case well in.

With that said this is what we did for years with Bernard. Sure he's doing nothing but teams are scared of him so it helps. They aren't and it doesn't. Teams don't send multiple people to cover Richarlison when he gets it wide and when they do he often doesn't make a pass that takes advantage of it anyway.

The guy who says he's not gotten better since he came here is right. I've tried to make that point before. He's a limited player defined by goals but unable play as a striker (in the system we play at least) where only scoring goals is an acceptable skillset.

I've never played at a pro level and neither have you more than likely so who cares about our Sunday league careers? Unless you have been a pro in which case well in.

With that said this is what we did for years with Bernard. Sure he's doing nothing but teams are scared of him so it helps. They aren't and it doesn't. Teams don't send multiple people to cover Richarlison when he gets it wide and when they do he often doesn't make a pass that takes advantage of it anyway.

The guy who says he's not gotten better since he came here is right. I've tried to make that point before. He's a limited player defined by goals but unable play as a striker (in the system we play at least) where only scoring goals is an acceptable skillset.
You don’t need to have played pro mate, the principal is the same, dynamic dangerous forwards make defenders uneasy which causes them to be pulled out of position. I know you don’t believe it, but, there is more to football than statistics. I very much doubt if you have played any organized football at all as you have all the data but can’t look past it and understand what is happening on the pitch.

E94389C7-2F23-4565-A4C1-E5C8D695043A.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.