Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gomes absolutely blows my mind. How in the actual kin holy hell can a premier league player lack the ability to tackle. His marking for the corner was dire too.
Sometimes you have to set aside the notion that multiple PL managers know more than you and just decide that there’s some weird power of suggestion going on.

Someone told Silva, Ancelotti, Benitez and Lampard that Gomes was a midfielder and they’ve just kind of accepted it and lashed him in.

I defy anybody to justify his selection to me. At most he has 3 good games a season, and even then he’s not sliding precision through balls to forwards or winning loads of duels, we’re all just super relieved that he was not as turbo garbage as he usually is.

He is a complete and total myth of a footballer. I’m past hoping he finds form, and I’m past letting him off because he’s handsome/nice. If Lampard starts him again I’ll be calling for his sacking IDGAF.

Even though it was ultimately crap, I am really positive about some of the signs from today...and being positive is all i've got eh?

Gordon - fight, drive, skill, and some signs of being a good communicator & leader (standing up to Trippier, helping Gray when he was injured)
Mina - feels like a blue, some snide, leadership etc, and at least he didn't want to come off
Branthwaite - mistakes but looks good
Gomes couldn't dominate, but he at least didn't slow the game down and pass sideways.
Allan looks like an engine and has passion
Coleman was better.

On the other hand, Richy is a confidence - partnership - passion player. He cant do stuff on his own, and that's not great, but if we can somehow get him clicking with Gordon -DCL -Delle it'll be great.

DVDB is a Gomes upgrade I hope cos they can't both play together.

The team has not even gelled or trained much together - a lot to look forward to.
Is this meant to be some kind of sophisticated humour?

We are going to badly need our home form to improve and the fans to pull us through, far too many of these players have no bottle or fight in them so anything away from home under pressure is only going to end one way.

They have absolutely no protection from our snail-like midfield.

If you've ever played centre half and had an appalling midfield in front of you, you know the terror. Trying to close surging runners without leaving massive holes behind is very difficult. On top of this you add wing backs with no powers of recovery to get you out of a hole. It's a recipe for disaster.

I think Lampard has gotten off to a bad start by choosing 3 at the back in both games. The need to pack the midfield is greater than anything else at the moment. What we also need now is some confidence and positive play - starting off with 3 (or five) defenders isn't exactly a resounding endorsement of confidence.

Personally I Brentford wasn’t massively to fussed about the FA cup, not saying they didn’t try but they would swap that for staying in the PL. so i enjoyed that win but ive been following Everton long enough to know it’s wasn’t going to change over night. I supported Everton in the dire times, Mike walker, then when we draw with Coventry to stay up they were very dire times. We have a decent squad but the players are will off the pace atm, mainly down to poor management, I think Lampard will quickly sort that out, I don’t have any worries about going down there are worse teams than us, but regardless of that we will collect easy enough points.

Don't think Lamps is that kinda guy to sit off and blame everyone and everything else. He'll make changes

Only positive really is the DVN walks into that midfield.

Doucs too when he's back
Absolutely most of them reverted to paella-ball in the 2nd half, punt it aimlessly and hide. DVB was passing and moving straight to space and offering to take it again.

Hardest task Lampard will have is trying to undo the muscle memory most of them have after half a season of Benitez.

Status
Not open for further replies.