Referees v Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s start the list of everything this season. Copy paste and add to this:

Rodri handball at Goodison - stonewall pen not given
Rondon pen against Brentford not even looked at
Allan yellow upgraded to red against Newcastle at Goodison
Shelvey wiping out Gordon in a scissor action from behind at St James
Richarlison two disallowed goals against Arsenal, one of which was never clear or obviously offside, looked level
Burnley at Goodison with licence to injure our whole team without consequence

There have been a few close calls so I’m not going to include Gordon as even though you see that given sometimes, it’s not nailed on

It's addressed in the opening. The referees are all rotating through.
They are being dumbed down, because they know a decision they make on the field will be reviewed. So there's not as much pressure or understanding of the game to get it correct.

Last night wasn't a clear and obvious error, it's been done to death why.
City penalty was an obvious error. But because it's another dumbed down referee, they can't make the call.

if they want to bring in technology, fine. But keep it black and white - ball over the line and offside (although I hate it).
But when VAR is being reviewed for another subjective opinion. Then that defeats the purpose it was designed for.

"Hey mate, I'm not sure you made the right call. Why don't you have another look".
How the hell is that the intended purpose of the VAR. If the second person can't make the call to overturn it, how is it clear and obvious?

This is not the issue. In Rugby which is the go to comparison, they have this process. The TMO is there to guide the on field ref, now and again if something obvious is missed the TMO will tell the ref to give a penalty/advantage/stop the play, but for red cards, tries and other less cut and dried decisions the TMO shows the play to the on field ref who makes the final decision.

There is no issue with VAR, there is no issue to use to video replays to come to the right decision, the problem is the completely inept people using the technology (at best, at worse corrupt). As has been mentioned a thousand times, the big difference between Rugby is that we know how it is used as can hear it. It is a trust issue that football has, we don't trust these officials to make fair decisions. Apologies but one more comparison with Rugby is that it is obvious that they are not trying to catch the players out, we can hear the conversation, there are comments such as 'this is the best view', 'can you play it in real speed', 'OK, this is what I see......does everybody agree?' It is out there, it is transparent, there is trust and respect on all sides.

Was it Luke Shaw last season, I can't remember who it was against, he completely took someone out, the most cynical foul you'll see and he got a yellow card. Var must've looked at it and didn't overturn it, says it all. Last night was nowhere near as bad as that!

Let’s start the list of everything this season. Copy paste and add to this:

Rodri handball at Goodison - stonewall pen not given
Rondon pen against Brentford not even looked at
Allan yellow upgraded to red against Newcastle at Goodison
Shelvey wiping out Gordon in a scissor action from behind at St James
Richarlison two disallowed goals against Arsenal, one of which was never clear or obviously offside, looked level
Burnley at Goodison with licence to injure our whole team without consequence
Richarlsion penalty against Spurs was given, and then advised to be overturned by VAR, That one is up there with one of most furious ones

They simply can’t all be this incompetent. They are following instructions in Everton games imo.
Been saying this to anyone who'll listen for years. If incompetence were unique to the British game there'd have to be reasons sought and the FA etc would make a big deal out of training and improvement. They don't. Also incompetence levels out over time as the teamd will receive good calls bad calls in equal measure - we all know that doesn't happen.

So if we rule out incompetence it leaves only one or two possibilities - corruption - ie are we one of the few teams not buying off referees? Or scripting - how good is it to manufacture excitement and sales to enhance the sky armchair package and have a big team skirting with danger?

Scripting 100% in my view, which is why I pay no interest any more in the league or who wins it - just whats happening to my club. I don't even follow the England team anymore. Its killed my passion for what once was a sport. I wonder how many others feel the same.

20220318_073704.jpg

Stuart Atwell let this one go the week before.
If Allan's was a red card then fair enough (it wasent btw)
But atleast show some consistency in the decisions, you cant even blame this one on referees seeing it differently. It was the same ref

I think this deserves its own thread because it’s getting beyond a joke now. This season in particular I’ve noticed things start to veer away from incompetence and into the realms of suspicious.

Last night was the most overtly bent display of refereeing I’ve seen in an Everton game since... well, since Chris Kavanagh the other week. And erm... whoever the clown shoes team on the VAR was against Southampton. I’m not normally a refereeing conspiracy theorist, but since the introduction of VAR I’m becoming more and more suspicious that there’s some sort of, how should I put it. “Special operation” going on to actually relegate us. Is it possible for an independent body to investigate what’s going on behind the scenes here as I feel like the Premier League and the referees association absolutely stink to high heaven.
I've always been firmly of the belief that the refs are just really, really bad. These same refs denied Newcastle a clear penalty at Chelsea just four days ago.

However, the amount of incidents this season in Everton games is now just getting, like you say, beyond the realms of incompetence, because they have every tool at their disposal not to be incompetent.

Richarlsion penalty against Spurs was given, and then advised to be overturned by VAR, That one is up there with one of most furious ones

The worst part was that the ref should have just played the advantage as Richarlison got straight back up and had the with Lloris off his line.

Sheer incompetence that, Richarlison not only fouled but prevented from carrying on as well.

This is not the issue. In Rugby which is the go to comparison, they have this process. The TMO is there to guide the on field ref, now and again if something obvious is missed the TMO will tell the ref to give a penalty/advantage/stop the play, but for red cards, tries and other less cut and dried decisions the TMO shows the play to the on field ref who makes the final decision.

There is no issue with VAR, there is no issue to use to video replays to come to the right decision, the problem is the completely inept people using the technology (at best, at worse corrupt). As has been mentioned a thousand times, the big difference between Rugby is that we know how it is used as can hear it. It is a trust issue that football has, we don't trust these officials to make fair decisions. Apologies but one more comparison with Rugby is that it is obvious that they are not trying to catch the players out, we can hear the conversation, there are comments such as 'this is the best view', 'can you play it in real speed', 'OK, this is what I see......does everybody agree?' It is out there, it is transparent, there is trust and respect on all sides.
Apologies if I'm misinterpreting this, but you make it sound like rugby is a collaborative effort.

Football isn't. It's two different viewpoints, which don't seem to align.

Which is the point I was trying to make, maybe it didn't come across.

I remember reading or watching something that said we would have been 9th in the table a couple of weeks back if not for blatantly wrong refereeing decisions. Not sure that can even count the Shelvey challenge that probably would have turned the result in our favour either.

Incompetence only goes so far, feels like a vendetta now.

Status
Not open for further replies.